Hemoptysis During Pregnancy

Kristen

Does anyone know if hemoptysis is more common during pregnancy? I coughed up blood last night, which is something I very rarely do (and it was a larger quantity than I've ever coughed up). Then I started thinking about how our blood volume increases during pregnancy, and I've heard pregnant women are more prone to nose bleeds, so I'm wondering if that could make us more prone to hemoptysis as well.

Kristen

Does anyone know if hemoptysis is more common during pregnancy? I coughed up blood last night, which is something I very rarely do (and it was a larger quantity than I've ever coughed up). Then I started thinking about how our blood volume increases during pregnancy, and I've heard pregnant women are more prone to nose bleeds, so I'm wondering if that could make us more prone to hemoptysis as well.

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

mom2lillian

You have ALOT more blood in your body and for many women bleeds are related to hormones so it seems very plausible. IF you are having no other signs of being sick it might be something you just watch to see if it is related to pregnancy instead of acting on like I would normally say. But thats only if all else has been superb.

I had the opposite where I had a rather large bleed while doing the IVF then no bleed at all during pregnancy or 1.5 years of breastfeeding but then bled my first period after completely weaning.

mom2lillian

You have ALOT more blood in your body and for many women bleeds are related to hormones so it seems very plausible. IF you are having no other signs of being sick it might be something you just watch to see if it is related to pregnancy instead of acting on like I would normally say. But thats only if all else has been superb.

I had the opposite where I had a rather large bleed while doing the IVF then no bleed at all during pregnancy or 1.5 years of breastfeeding but then bled my first period after completely weaning.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />I had the opposite where I had a rather large bleed while doing the IVF then no bleed at all during pregnancy or 1.5 years of breastfeeding but then bled my first period after completely weaning.

Asexyblond23

I had one at 14 weeks and yes I am on blood thinners so I did have more blood then usual but my doctor told me that with pregnancy and everything moving more in our lungs and our body changing that they have alot of pregnant women who have them. Our immune system is more comprmised so even the smallest thing can irrate our lungs and cause them to have some irratation causing bleeding.

Asexyblond23

I had one at 14 weeks and yes I am on blood thinners so I did have more blood then usual but my doctor told me that with pregnancy and everything moving more in our lungs and our body changing that they have alot of pregnant women who have them. Our immune system is more comprmised so even the smallest thing can irrate our lungs and cause them to have some irratation causing bleeding.

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23

jmiller

I had a pregnancy experience similar to Nicole (mom2lillian). I had bleeds with almost every period leading up to getting pregnant then only a couple during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think mine are more related to hormones than to blood volume... I have heard from some people that your vessels are weaker and more prone to breaking during your period because of hormones... so I am wondering if that is the case with me.
I remember being concerned about hemoptysis during labor--- but I delivered Max naturally with no drugs (thank you very much) and no blood!

jmiller

I had a pregnancy experience similar to Nicole (mom2lillian). I had bleeds with almost every period leading up to getting pregnant then only a couple during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think mine are more related to hormones than to blood volume... I have heard from some people that your vessels are weaker and more prone to breaking during your period because of hormones... so I am wondering if that is the case with me.
I remember being concerned about hemoptysis during labor--- but I delivered Max naturally with no drugs (thank you very much) and no blood!

jmiller

jmiller

jmiller

<br />I remember being concerned about hemoptysis during labor--- but I delivered Max naturally with no drugs (thank you very much) and no blood!