hemoptysis from flying?

musclemania70

I got back from a vacation tonight. Flying about 4 hours in the air total today.
I have been feeling ok all week out of town. I haven't had a bleed in about a year.
Then I got home from the airport and I started having some hemoptysis. About a couple tbs. (same volume as last year)
I was wondering if anyone else experienced this right after flying (i felt a lot of pressure on my chest during ascent and descent of flights)
I don't know if I should contribute this to the flight or illness.
THANK YOU FOR READING!!

musclemania70

I got back from a vacation tonight. Flying about 4 hours in the air total today.
I have been feeling ok all week out of town. I haven't had a bleed in about a year.
Then I got home from the airport and I started having some hemoptysis. About a couple tbs. (same volume as last year)
I was wondering if anyone else experienced this right after flying (i felt a lot of pressure on my chest during ascent and descent of flights)
I don't know if I should contribute this to the flight or illness.
THANK YOU FOR READING!!

C

cfsucks

i can't comment, but i think planes use recycled air, so it may have caused some irritation?

C

cfsucks

i can't comment, but i think planes use recycled air, so it may have caused some irritation?

musclemania70

in case you wanted to know:

talked to my doc. they said it COULD be from air changes but not necessarily. best thing to do is monitor closely any changes and call if there is a reoccurance or if I'm feeling worse.

musclemania70

in case you wanted to know:

talked to my doc. they said it COULD be from air changes but not necessarily. best thing to do is monitor closely any changes and call if there is a reoccurance or if I'm feeling worse.

robert321

I've never had hemoptysis as a result of flying but my lungs will get sore when I fly and my sinuses get dried out and irritated like crazy. Idk if its the dry air in the plane or if its the pressure changes

robert321

I've never had hemoptysis as a result of flying but my lungs will get sore when I fly and my sinuses get dried out and irritated like crazy. Idk if its the dry air in the plane or if its the pressure changes

kmaried

This ALWAYS happens to me. I almost expect it now - first night in a hotel room after flying. Always kinda freaks me out, too - because I'm away from home, and sometimes alone (if I'm travelling for business).
I suspect for me, it's the dry air in the airplane...

kmaried

This ALWAYS happens to me. I almost expect it now - first night in a hotel room after flying. Always kinda freaks me out, too - because I'm away from home, and sometimes alone (if I'm travelling for business).
I suspect for me, it's the dry air in the airplane...

imported_Momto2

Never had this problem, but it sounds unnerving, especially when you're away from home! When I fly I drink like a fish (non-alcoholic beverages, I aim for 8-12 oz every 30 minutes, yeah, I pee like a fish too!@) and often wear a surgical mask, which traps moisture. I also usually do a nebbie mid-flight. I'd like to think that all of this helps my lungs stay less irritated and hydrated. I did have bad asthma issues while flying, then I started all of this and it went away, so who knows. (I also take tussin CF prior to flights)

imported_Momto2

Never had this problem, but it sounds unnerving, especially when you're away from home! When I fly I drink like a fish (non-alcoholic beverages, I aim for 8-12 oz every 30 minutes, yeah, I pee like a fish too!@) and often wear a surgical mask, which traps moisture. I also usually do a nebbie mid-flight. I'd like to think that all of this helps my lungs stay less irritated and hydrated. I did have bad asthma issues while flying, then I started all of this and it went away, so who knows. (I also take tussin CF prior to flights)

rtorres25

Sarajerome,
How do you "do a nebbie" midflight? Do you have a battery operated compressor? If so, can you tell me the specs on it, so I can get one?

Thanks!

rtorres25

Sarajerome,
How do you "do a nebbie" midflight? Do you have a battery operated compressor? If so, can you tell me the specs on it, so I can get one?

Thanks!

imported_Momto2

rtorres25, I have a Omron MicroAir. I only use it for non-home "emergencies" and it is small enough to carry in my purse. Its a teeny little hand-held thing that is battery operated. I've had it for a long time now, close to a decade I think, and it still works great. It is completely silent, doesnt create a lot of "extra" mist (so it doesnt tend to bother other travelers) and is very discreet. I've use it everywhere, from planes, restaurants, car, movie theaters, you name it. Gives me a lot more confidence to go places that I KNOW will be dirty and set my lungs off. This is what it looks like.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/global/images/product_2/515/5157_250X250.jpg

imported_Momto2

rtorres25, I have a Omron MicroAir. I only use it for non-home "emergencies" and it is small enough to carry in my purse. Its a teeny little hand-held thing that is battery operated. I've had it for a long time now, close to a decade I think, and it still works great. It is completely silent, doesnt create a lot of "extra" mist (so it doesnt tend to bother other travelers) and is very discreet. I've use it everywhere, from planes, restaurants, car, movie theaters, you name it. Gives me a lot more confidence to go places that I KNOW will be dirty and set my lungs off. This is what it looks like.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/global/images/product_2/515/5157_250X250.jpg

JaneCFer

Have you had persistent shortness of breath or anything else that is not quite right? My doc told me that we can have pneumos or partial pneumos from the altitude change. Don't mean to cause any alarm. I haven't personally had this issue, but it is something to consider.

JaneCFer

Have you had persistent shortness of breath or anything else that is not quite right? My doc told me that we can have pneumos or partial pneumos from the altitude change. Don't mean to cause any alarm. I haven't personally had this issue, but it is something to consider.