Hemoptysis

lilmac7

Hey guys,

So recently I've had a few episodes of hemoptysis which until then all I've done is read of people getting it. The first I had last month and the most recent ones were on the 10th and 11th of this month. I'm not talking about streaking here as I'm sure we've all had some bit of that before, this was what I consider major bleeds and with no warning what so ever, the first was in my sleep - not the best thing to have wake you up! Basically I'd like as much info from people who are familiar with it to help me out as far as helping to prevent it, if/when it does happen get it to stop as quick as possible and whatever info I can get. Both times it happened I stayed away from the gym because I was afraid it would aggravate/cause it again. I just started back the gym this week from it and I can't help but feel like a ticking time bomb and quite honestly am a bit scared of it happening, worse if it does say when I'm working out and my heart is going and I'm winded. Anyways guys look forward to getting as much info as I can and hearing your experiences with it. Thanks.

lilmac7

Hey guys,

So recently I've had a few episodes of hemoptysis which until then all I've done is read of people getting it. The first I had last month and the most recent ones were on the 10th and 11th of this month. I'm not talking about streaking here as I'm sure we've all had some bit of that before, this was what I consider major bleeds and with no warning what so ever, the first was in my sleep - not the best thing to have wake you up! Basically I'd like as much info from people who are familiar with it to help me out as far as helping to prevent it, if/when it does happen get it to stop as quick as possible and whatever info I can get. Both times it happened I stayed away from the gym because I was afraid it would aggravate/cause it again. I just started back the gym this week from it and I can't help but feel like a ticking time bomb and quite honestly am a bit scared of it happening, worse if it does say when I'm working out and my heart is going and I'm winded. Anyways guys look forward to getting as much info as I can and hearing your experiences with it. Thanks.

lilmac7

Hey guys,

lilmac7

Hey guys,

lilmac7

Hey guys,
<br />
<br />So recently I've had a few episodes of hemoptysis which until then all I've done is read of people getting it. The first I had last month and the most recent ones were on the 10th and 11th of this month. I'm not talking about streaking here as I'm sure we've all had some bit of that before, this was what I consider major bleeds and with no warning what so ever, the first was in my sleep - not the best thing to have wake you up! Basically I'd like as much info from people who are familiar with it to help me out as far as helping to prevent it, if/when it does happen get it to stop as quick as possible and whatever info I can get. Both times it happened I stayed away from the gym because I was afraid it would aggravate/cause it again. I just started back the gym this week from it and I can't help but feel like a ticking time bomb and quite honestly am a bit scared of it happening, worse if it does say when I'm working out and my heart is going and I'm winded. Anyways guys look forward to getting as much info as I can and hearing your experiences with it. Thanks.

W

welshwitch

Hey dude. Sorry to hear you're dealing with this.

For me, there are basically 4 things that cause hemo for me. I've tried experimenting with various things and have narrowed it down to this combination:

1. Pulmozyme. I think that I am either a little bit allergic to it or it somehow irritates my lungs.

Solution: I've cut down to doing it every other day and that seems to help.

2. Extreme exercise/losing weight. When I was training for my 100 mile bike ride I noticed I would get it more often. I think for me it is the combination of your body consuming calories at such a high rate that it wears out your body and makes you more susceptible to fatigue.

Solution: When I was done with the race I cut down on my exercise and put on about 5 pounds

3. A lack of vitamins. Common knowledge says that CFers are always low in certain vitamin areas, specifically K and D. I believe that K helps with blood clotting and D helps with bones.

Solution: I went to Whole Foods and stick to a really hardcore vitamin diet that also includes Omega 3s and Flaxseed oil

4. Just being really tired in general can cause it for me.

Solution: I'm trying to cut down on my partying-- ie, drinking less, trying to get at least 8 hours a night of sleep, etc.

Sometimes if I'm coughing up blood it's just a sign in general that I need to slow down a bit and either take a day off and relax. Rest never hurts in getting rid of hemo. I'd be a little bit concerned but I know you will get it under control. Lots of people on this site have great advice too.

W

welshwitch

For me, there are basically 4 things that cause hemo for me. I've tried experimenting with various things and have narrowed it down to this combination:

1. Pulmozyme. I think that I am either a little bit allergic to it or it somehow irritates my lungs.

2. Extreme exercise/losing weight. When I was training for my 100 mile bike ride I noticed I would get it more often. I think for me it is the combination of your body consuming calories at such a high rate that it wears out your body and makes you more susceptible to fatigue.

Solution: When I was done with the race I cut down on my exercise and put on about 5 pounds

3. A lack of vitamins. Common knowledge says that CFers are always low in certain vitamin areas, specifically K and D. I believe that K helps with blood clotting and D helps with bones.

Solution: I went to Whole Foods and stick to a really hardcore vitamin diet that also includes Omega 3s and Flaxseed oil

Solution: I'm trying to cut down on my partying-- ie, drinking less, trying to get at least 8 hours a night of sleep, etc.

Sometimes if I'm coughing up blood it's just a sign in general that I need to slow down a bit and either take a day off and relax. Rest never hurts in getting rid of hemo. I'd be a little bit concerned but I know you will get it under control. Lots of people on this site have great advice too.

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch

W

welshwitch

<br />
<br />For me, there are basically 4 things that cause hemo for me. I've tried experimenting with various things and have narrowed it down to this combination:
<br />
<br />1. Pulmozyme. I think that I am either a little bit allergic to it or it somehow irritates my lungs.
<br />
<br />Solution: I've cut down to doing it every other day and that seems to help.
<br />
<br />2. Extreme exercise/losing weight. When I was training for my 100 mile bike ride I noticed I would get it more often. I think for me it is the combination of your body consuming calories at such a high rate that it wears out your body and makes you more susceptible to fatigue.
<br />
<br />Solution: When I was done with the race I cut down on my exercise and put on about 5 pounds
<br />
<br />3. A lack of vitamins. Common knowledge says that CFers are always low in certain vitamin areas, specifically K and D. I believe that K helps with blood clotting and D helps with bones.
<br />
<br />Solution: I went to Whole Foods and stick to a really hardcore vitamin diet that also includes Omega 3s and Flaxseed oil
<br />
<br />4. Just being really tired in general can cause it for me.
<br />
<br />Solution: I'm trying to cut down on my partying-- ie, drinking less, trying to get at least 8 hours a night of sleep, etc.
<br />
<br />Sometimes if I'm coughing up blood it's just a sign in general that I need to slow down a bit and either take a day off and relax. Rest never hurts in getting rid of hemo. I'd be a little bit concerned but I know you will get it under control. Lots of people on this site have great advice too.

Diane

I have had 6 embolizations due to hemoptysis so I have quite a bit of experience in this catagory .... unfortunately. For me there have been a few noticeable triggers :
~Laying flat
~Being around smoke
~Coughing very hard over and over
~Leaning over too long
~Exacerbation
~Pulmozyme

There have been times where it happens for no reason. Here's my advice. Make sure you are getting enough Vit K.
Your Dr. can give you a prescription for it. You can take L-Lysine also. It's in any grocery store vitamin aisle. I take 1000 mg. twice a day and it has been of some help to me. You def. do not want to work out within 24 hours of a hemoptysis episode, and i would hold off on the vest and pulmozyme ( or HTS) also for 24 hours. The bleeding area needs time to rest. If you find that laying flat seems to stir things up in the hemoptysis area you may want to prop yourself up to sleep. I havent slept flat in 7 years because laying flat is a huge trigger for me. If you notice these episiodes of hemop. are happening more and more often or are getting larger in amount , you should def. call the Dr.

Diane

I have had 6 embolizations due to hemoptysis so I have quite a bit of experience in this catagory .... unfortunately. For me there have been a few noticeable triggers :
~Laying flat
~Being around smoke
~Leaning over too long
~Exacerbation
~Pulmozyme

There have been times where it happens for no reason. Here's my advice. Make sure you are getting enough Vit K.
Your Dr. can give you a prescription for it. You can take L-Lysine also. It's in any grocery store vitamin aisle. I take 1000 mg. twice a day and it has been of some help to me. You def. do not want to work out within 24 hours of a hemoptysis episode, and i would hold off on the vest and pulmozyme ( or HTS) also for 24 hours. The bleeding area needs time to rest. If you find that laying flat seems to stir things up in the hemoptysis area you may want to prop yourself up to sleep. I havent slept flat in 7 years because laying flat is a huge trigger for me. If you notice these episiodes of hemop. are happening more and more often or are getting larger in amount , you should def. call the Dr.

Diane

~Laying flat
~Being around smoke
~Leaning over too long
~Exacerbation
~Pulmozyme

Diane

~Laying flat
~Being around smoke
~Leaning over too long
~Exacerbation
~Pulmozyme

Diane

<br />~Laying flat
<br />~Being around smoke
<br />~Coughing very hard over and over
<br />~Leaning over too long
<br />~Exacerbation
<br />~Pulmozyme
<br />
<br />There have been times where it happens for no reason. Here's my advice. Make sure you are getting enough Vit K.
<br />Your Dr. can give you a prescription for it. You can take L-Lysine also. It's in any grocery store vitamin aisle. I take 1000 mg. twice a day and it has been of some help to me. You def. do not want to work out within 24 hours of a hemoptysis episode, and i would hold off on the vest and pulmozyme ( or HTS) also for 24 hours. The bleeding area needs time to rest. If you find that laying flat seems to stir things up in the hemoptysis area you may want to prop yourself up to sleep. I havent slept flat in 7 years because laying flat is a huge trigger for me. If you notice these episiodes of hemop. are happening more and more often or are getting larger in amount , you should def. call the Dr.

J

Juniper

This could be total coincidence but my experience was. I had never had it before and for a long time had not drunk coffee just decaf tea. I started a new job and everyone drank coffee so i started again and drank quite a bit. A few months later i had my first haemoptysis out of nowhere. It stopped i carried on as before and then it happened again this time more severe. There was no sign of infection but they gave me IV's just in case. I read somewhere there may be alink between coffee/caffeine and haemoptysis. So i stopped the coffee and caffeine and have not had it again and that was two years ago. Could be a total coincidence but who knows?

Hope you find something that works for you cos i found it very scary.

J

Juniper

This could be total coincidence but my experience was. I had never had it before and for a long time had not drunk coffee just decaf tea. I started a new job and everyone drank coffee so i started again and drank quite a bit. A few months later i had my first haemoptysis out of nowhere. It stopped i carried on as before and then it happened again this time more severe. There was no sign of infection but they gave me IV's just in case. I read somewhere there may be alink between coffee/caffeine and haemoptysis. So i stopped the coffee and caffeine and have not had it again and that was two years ago. Could be a total coincidence but who knows?

J

Juniper

J

Juniper

J

Juniper

<br />
<br />Hope you find something that works for you cos i found it very scary.
<br />