High blood sugar!

sue35

Hello everyone. I have been rather sick lately and have been put on 120mg prednisone for three days. I am off that now, down to 60mg. My sugar level is 330!

I am not on IVs because my x-rays were fine and it really is just a tightness in my chest. Obviously I am going to call my doctor about the sugar level and still tight-feeling tomorrow but...

What are some problems that could happen with this high blood sugar in the short run? Could that be affecting my breathing?

sue35

Hello everyone. I have been rather sick lately and have been put on 120mg prednisone for three days. I am off that now, down to 60mg. My sugar level is 330!

I am not on IVs because my x-rays were fine and it really is just a tightness in my chest. Obviously I am going to call my doctor about the sugar level and still tight-feeling tomorrow but...

What are some problems that could happen with this high blood sugar in the short run? Could that be affecting my breathing?

sue35

sue35

sue35

<br />
<br />I am not on IVs because my x-rays were fine and it really is just a tightness in my chest. Obviously I am going to call my doctor about the sugar level and still tight-feeling tomorrow but...
<br />
<br />What are some problems that could happen with this high blood sugar in the short run? Could that be affecting my breathing?
<br />
<br />

Skye

That is a high dose of Prednisone. I am surprised that your doc did not give you a game plan to follow when your sugars spike during your prednisone. Have you dealt with this in the past? High blood sugar by itself can cause chest tightness. It can weaken your immune system, cause dehydration and other things. Having a sustained high blood sugar can have some more lasting affects and that would be the concern long-term....that is with years of uncontrolled sugars. If you are not feeling well.....very thirsty, dehydrated, frequent urination....I would recommend calling tonight. Especially if you have no way to bring that number under control with insulin. Prednisone does that to BS levels.

Skye

That is a high dose of Prednisone. I am surprised that your doc did not give you a game plan to follow when your sugars spike during your prednisone. Have you dealt with this in the past? High blood sugar by itself can cause chest tightness. It can weaken your immune system, cause dehydration and other things. Having a sustained high blood sugar can have some more lasting affects and that would be the concern long-term....that is with years of uncontrolled sugars. If you are not feeling well.....very thirsty, dehydrated, frequent urination....I would recommend calling tonight. Especially if you have no way to bring that number under control with insulin. Prednisone does that to BS levels.

Skye

Skye

Skye

dasjsmum

The high blood sugar should correct itself. It is probably a result of insulin resisitance due to the prednisone, which iwll correct now that you have finished the course.

High BGL can cause serious illness, even coma, but I think in your case it would have to be sustained for a couple of weeks. The above mentioned symtoms are hwat occurs if the BGL is having serious consequences.

You dont mention if you have cfrd? I'm assuming not? If not, the high BGL is almost certainly related to the pregnisone.

dasjsmum

The high blood sugar should correct itself. It is probably a result of insulin resisitance due to the prednisone, which iwll correct now that you have finished the course.

High BGL can cause serious illness, even coma, but I think in your case it would have to be sustained for a couple of weeks. The above mentioned symtoms are hwat occurs if the BGL is having serious consequences.

You dont mention if you have cfrd? I'm assuming not? If not, the high BGL is almost certainly related to the pregnisone.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<br />
<br />
<br />High BGL can cause serious illness, even coma, but I think in your case it would have to be sustained for a couple of weeks. The above mentioned symtoms are hwat occurs if the BGL is having serious consequences.
<br />
<br />You dont mention if you have cfrd? I'm assuming not? If not, the high BGL is almost certainly related to the pregnisone.

Jeana

I have CFRD and when I was on prednisone, my sugars spiked for about a week or so. Do you do a sliding scale on your insulin? That really helped me.

Jeana

I have CFRD and when I was on prednisone, my sugars spiked for about a week or so. Do you do a sliding scale on your insulin? That really helped me.

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana