High Calorie Stuff

So, I need to gain weight. I don't really take a high dose of enzymes (Im on Zenpep 20's/ 2-3 w/meal). I am trying to switch to Ultresa as I have heard these are a bit better. My problem is I don't eat the calories I need. Before, I never really ate during the day. Apparently, I need to eat during the day, but because I don't eat as much I am looking for advice on foods I eat through the day that I don't have to eat a ton of that are healthy (and not speciality foods) that I can have ready to go and jsut grab throughout the day. I have thought about making several peanut butter sandwich halves and having those ready. Stuff like that.

Please help!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
highest calories per nut I believe. google nuts and calorie content. do the PLUS and you can get 360 per 8 ounces as oppose to just 240ish.

JennyCoulon

Nutella is a higher calorie spread for small serving size. My kids just eat it out of the jar with a spoon like peanut butter. Obviously extra butter, whipping cream in place of milk, etc. Have you thought about a g-button? How is your BMI and weight? How are your PFT's? Just curious

Nutella is a higher calorie spread for small serving size. My kids just eat it out of the jar with a spoon like peanut butter. Obviously extra butter, whipping cream in place of milk, etc. Have you thought about a g-button? How is your BMI and weight? How are your PFT's? Just curious

No g-button. I just can't do it. (no medical/physical reason- its all mental- Im stubborn). Im about 5ft and I hover around 100lbs. My target weight is about 120 though. My PFTs- I haven't had them done since October, but they were around 46% (FEV1). Probably a little lower since I am getting over brochitis. I looked up the calories in Jif compared to Nutella and I found the Chocolate Hazelnut spread by Jif actually has more k/cal's then Nutella so I might try that too!

Thanks!
Amber

Solo

I drink anywhere from 3-4 Ensure Plus drinks per day. I get the generic so they aren't nearly as expensive and have the same caloric value and nutritional value.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS doesn't like the premade beverages, so I mix up carnation instant breakfast powder with a cup of whole milk and an ounce of cream. Tastes like melted ice cream and isn't so thick and vitaminy tasting. I get the powder at Sams club or Costco where it's cheaper; however, sometimes get some good coupon deals online and buy it at Target.

I add olive oil to casseroles for extra calories. For snacks ds likes peanuts, although too many can do a number on his digestive system. Currently he's on a beef jerky kick. Likes crackers and cheese, peanut butter & honey sandwiches, nachos, popcorn. Theatre popcorn is LOADED with calories.

F

FalseDisposition

I have a question about this. I'm very, very new to the cystic fibrosis world. My son is 2 so he can't communicate his thoughts very well, of course. But what exactly is the issue with eating a lot? Do you get full easily? Please explain, I really want to know what to expect for the years ahead.

MOM247

My #1 Fat Girl Trick this month, is waffles w/peanut butter & butter & syrup. My son also won't go for anything other than Carnation Instant Breakfast w/whole milk. I add some chocolate syrup most the time to boost the calories. I found these crackers he likes & cover them w/cream cheese. I add sour cream to his macaroni. My sons very picky, and I'm thrilled when I can find high calorie foods he will actually eat:)

Good Luck!

Sarah
mommy to Johnny 5 w/cf & bailey 3 no cf

W

welshwitch

Hi FalseDisposition,

basically, the way our bodies work (those of us w. CF) is that our bodies just don't process nutrients properly. So, we have to compensate by eating high calorie meals and taking supplementary enzymes to help us digest our food.

I'm 33 and have been doing this all my life -- I'm a pro by now :)

That said, I'm 5 foot 3 and a solid 130 pounds....I'm also a runner and a weight lifter...I compensate for this rigorous workout plan with a ton of high calorie foods...favorites include the following:

*steak, potatoes, a LOT of butter, chard with olive oil
*ravioli, spagetti sauce, with cottage cheese on the side
*hamburgers, fries, a glass of red wine (hey, I need a reward, too!)
*CHEESE! I love french bread with a ton of brie.
*Peanut butter, apples, cheese again

I'd like to emphasize the high protein aspect of the diet. When I was growing up in the 80's , the thinking was (correct me if I'm wrong here) that we should eat whatever we want, as much as we want. So for me I basically had unlimited junk food options (think cake and ice cream and candy bars) at my disposal. I'm not saying that's all I ate, but I believe the emphasis now is more on healthy, high protein, unprocessed stuff. SO, healthy but high calorie and high protein.

The thinking here is, if we can keep the body weight on , our lungs will be happy, too :)

J

jpatapow

Just because we have CF doesn't mean we have to eat crappy high calorie foods. All the pamphlets they hand out are crap. Eat raw nuts. Make smoothies with nuts, seeds, etc. Dairy is also bad for you. They say there is no scientific evidence that it increase mucus production but for me personally it does. You don't need to eat ice cream, pasta, cheese, butter to get calories.

croomabu

Hello Solo- there is a great program offered by Abbott labs that covers pedisure for our daughter - maybe you are eligible ? give them a call cf care forward 855 227 3493

Abden

That's good if you do not prefer taking any kinda thing like that,You should take food which is rich in benefits rather than any other thing.
That is the best way to gain weight naturally without facing any kinda side effects.I suggest you to avoid unhealthy activities and foods.