High Fat Diet Cause CFRD??

batteredNfried

The operative word is JUNK food. There are plenty of ways to add calories to the diet without resorting to junk. (Don't let my screenname fool you!)

Here's part of what my high cal /easy on the fats diet contains:

<UL>Canola oil and olive oil in baking and cooking

banana bread with real butter on each slice.

Lean turkey instead of ground beef (I can't even stand the taste of anything else now!)

Baked potatoes

Lots of white meat chicken prepared with ShakeNBake or other coating

Low fat cheese on veggies

Low fat cottage cheese combined w/pineapples or applesauce

Yogurt

PRETZELS! (no fat at all, and extremely easy for me to digest)

Eggs

Avocados (good fats, vitamin and calories)

Tortillas

Waffles and Pancakes

Salads with cheese, hard boiled eggs, croutons and cucumbers

Lactose free milk or whole milk</UL>

I was raised in the era where CFers were told we couldn't have fat at all. So naturally, my preferences tend to lean (pun intended) toward the healthier options. We grill a lot of our food and I've noticed that my tummy indeed prefers home cooked meals to take out. This was true for me while growing up and it remains so now that I'm married and taking care of meal prep for my family.

(in case you're wondering battered refers to my preferred method of airway clearance, and fried means I tend to run on all cylinders.)

NoExcuses

The funny thing is that people who eat a high fat diet aren't fat.

Those who eat a high carb diet, or high sugar diet - now those are fat.

If you were to eat steak all day long, with tomatoes and lettuce, minus the cheese and the bun, you would be thin.

CFRD is an issue, no doubt. And some CFers are so fat that they're getting Type II diabetes related to their weight. So you can go overboard, for sure.

I'd love to see the studies that this doc is presenting.

NoExcuses

If you were to eat steak all day long, with tomatoes and lettuce, minus the cheese and the bun, you would be thin.

CFRD is an issue, no doubt. And some CFers are so fat that they're getting Type II diabetes related to their weight. So you can go overboard, for sure.

NoExcuses

amber682

My son's nutririonist wants him to eat a lot of calories and carbs, not a lot of fat, because she says he's not properly absorbing it anyway (even with enzymes). She'd rather have him eat something with maybe less fat, but a lot of complex carbs or protein. She also stresses not a lot of sugar. Luckily, she doesn't seem to be trying to push junk foods just to gain weight, she wants well rounded meals, just adding extra calories where you can.

amber682

My son's nutririonist wants him to eat a lot of calories and carbs, not a lot of fat, because she says he's not properly absorbing it anyway (even with enzymes). She'd rather have him eat something with maybe less fat, but a lot of complex carbs or protein. She also stresses not a lot of sugar. Luckily, she doesn't seem to be trying to push junk foods just to gain weight, she wants well rounded meals, just adding extra calories where you can.

amber682

Uli

Well, I did also never do a "high fat diet" when I was a kid, because I was told: less fat. Later I was used to that and also I do eat at McDonalds from time to time I prefer less fat meals.
But I do have cfrd nevertheless and I´m definetly not overweight.
So I don´t think we can prevent cfrd if we don´t do a high fat diet...

Uli,44, Germany, cf/cfrd

Uli

Well, I did also never do a "high fat diet" when I was a kid, because I was told: less fat. Later I was used to that and also I do eat at McDonalds from time to time I prefer less fat meals.

Uli,44, Germany, cf/cfrd

Uli

Uli,44, Germany, cf/cfrd

Sreh

Hey...

Well, I am CFRD aslo now, and my doctor has told me to eat High Fat, High Calorie, High Carb, low Sugar diet. At this point basically eat anything I can to gain weight. So far I gained 12lbs in one months time. My BS run high so I use my sliding scale a lot during the day. Appetite is large right now mainly do to my Prednisone I am on, 22.5mg a day =/. Hopefully that will come down soon.

My cholesteral is really low... good is 108 and bad is 92. My diet far as fats goes is mainly high is unsaturated fats, easy on the saturated and I stay away from the trans fats as much as possible. My carb in take is high, but I stay away from sugars as much as possible. Though I do eat a lot of fruit. My docotor says that's great and keep it up. Oh I also eat a ton of protien foods of all sources as protien is very important in helping the body heal quickly.

I also grew up in the era of low fat diet for CFer's... My mom tried to hold me to it as I grew up, My dad thought is was a joke of a diet and kept trying to give me fried foods... So growing up my weight was UP and DOWN all the time, depending on who I was with more at the time. =(

As Sakasuka had said, I would sure like to see the studies. Especially if your CF doctors had no idea either.

Sreh

Hey...

Well, I am CFRD aslo now, and my doctor has told me to eat High Fat, High Calorie, High Carb, low Sugar diet. At this point basically eat anything I can to gain weight. So far I gained 12lbs in one months time. My BS run high so I use my sliding scale a lot during the day. Appetite is large right now mainly do to my Prednisone I am on, 22.5mg a day =/. Hopefully that will come down soon.

My cholesteral is really low... good is 108 and bad is 92. My diet far as fats goes is mainly high is unsaturated fats, easy on the saturated and I stay away from the trans fats as much as possible. My carb in take is high, but I stay away from sugars as much as possible. Though I do eat a lot of fruit. My docotor says that's great and keep it up. Oh I also eat a ton of protien foods of all sources as protien is very important in helping the body heal quickly.

I also grew up in the era of low fat diet for CFer's... My mom tried to hold me to it as I grew up, My dad thought is was a joke of a diet and kept trying to give me fried foods... So growing up my weight was UP and DOWN all the time, depending on who I was with more at the time. =(

As Sakasuka had said, I would sure like to see the studies. Especially if your CF doctors had no idea either.

Sreh

Hey...

M

mneville

The presenter said that it is the Minnesota clinic that is currently number one in studying this topic- no real surprise there. Most of her slides had Milla's name at the bottom. Although I think he left Minnesota?

I'm kinda in trouble b/c my two year old won't touch any new foods esp fruits and veggies....But I know he will at some point. Thanks.

Megan

M

mneville

The presenter said that it is the Minnesota clinic that is currently number one in studying this topic- no real surprise there. Most of her slides had Milla's name at the bottom. Although I think he left Minnesota?

I'm kinda in trouble b/c my two year old won't touch any new foods esp fruits and veggies....But I know he will at some point. Thanks.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

Landy

I'm not sure about the connection. As others have mentioned, it will be interesting to see the study.

I'm just thrilled that I'm not the only one that grew up with a low fat diet as a kid. I thought I was the "only" one.
My parents would squeeze the grease out of any fried foods with paper towels, we drank skim (well, powdered-yuck) milk and we grew up in a small town where fast food wasn't even an option.
I've always wondered about the diet prescribed for today's CF kids, but just attributed it to better enzymes that are able to break down the fat and more knowledge? by CF docs, etc.
As others have also mentioned--if your child is eating a lot of fat/grease and is able to digest it well, then good. If they are eating a lot of grease & it's going right through them, still in the form of grease, then if it were me, I would rethink the amount of grease, since they're not digesting it anyway.

Having said all of this, I have CFRD too, so I don't know if it has anything to do with diet or if you're predisposed to it, no matter what you eat.

Landy

I'm not sure about the connection. As others have mentioned, it will be interesting to see the study.

I'm just thrilled that I'm not the only one that grew up with a low fat diet as a kid. I thought I was the "only" one.
My parents would squeeze the grease out of any fried foods with paper towels, we drank skim (well, powdered-yuck) milk and we grew up in a small town where fast food wasn't even an option.
I've always wondered about the diet prescribed for today's CF kids, but just attributed it to better enzymes that are able to break down the fat and more knowledge? by CF docs, etc.
As others have also mentioned--if your child is eating a lot of fat/grease and is able to digest it well, then good. If they are eating a lot of grease & it's going right through them, still in the form of grease, then if it were me, I would rethink the amount of grease, since they're not digesting it anyway.

Having said all of this, I have CFRD too, so I don't know if it has anything to do with diet or if you're predisposed to it, no matter what you eat.

Landy

dramamama

1: J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006 Nov;43(5):660-5. Links
Dietary and circulating polyunsaturated fatty acids in cystic fibrosis: are they related to clinical outcomes?

Colombo C,
Bennato V,
Costantini D,
Valmarana L,
Dacco V,
Zazzeron L,
Ghisleni D,
Bruzzese MG,
Scaglioni S,
Riva E,
Agostoni C.
Department of Pediatrics, CF Center, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico, Mangiagalli, Regina Elena, University of Milan, Milan, Italy. carla.colombo@unimi.it
OBJECTIVE: To assess the relationship between dietary intakes, plasma phospholipid (PL) fatty acid profile and clinical parameters in children with cystic fibrosis (CF) in comparison to healthy controls. PATIENTS AND METHODS: A cross-sectional survey including 37 patients with CF (ages 8.0 +/- 2.9 yrs) and a reference group of 68 healthy children (ages 8.0 +/- 0.7 yrs) was carried out by means of a food-frequency questionnaire. At enrollment, all subjects underwent blood sampling for plasma PL fatty acids (FA). In CF patients, pulmonary function tests (forced expiratory volume in 1 second and forced vital capacity), anthropometric measurements and the Shwachman score were also determined. RESULTS: In CF patients, mean z score for weight and height (-0.35 +/- 1.16 and -0.28 +/- 0.99) were lower than controls (0.83 +/- 1.73 and 0.55 +/- 1.11, respectively). Patients with CF showed higher energy intakes (110 +/- 43 kcal/d) compared with controls (75 +/- 22 kcal/d; P < 0.0001), with higher intake of total (saturated and monounsaturated) fats and lower intake of polyunsaturated FA (3.9 +/- 1.0% of total macronutrient intake vs 4.3 +/- 1.2%, P = 0.05). In CF patients, plasma and PL levels of linoleic and docosahexaenoic acids were lower, whereas those of arachidonic acid were similar compared with controls. The Shwachman score showed significant positive associations with plasma PL levels of arachidonic acid and total n-6 long-chain FA (r = 0.32, P = 0.05, and r = 0.35, P = 0.03, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: <b>The data give suggestions that fat intake and CF-associated biomechanisms are bound in a vicious circle, concurring to create the clinical and biochemical picture of CF. The quantity and quality of fat supplementation in CF need careful attention to balance the fat supply with polyunsaturated FA.</b>

<b>Benefits
Polyunsaturated fat, along with monounsaturated fat are "healthy fats," the amount of which in one's daily diet should be near 45 g (in a 2000 calorie-per-day diet).[citation needed] Polyunsaturated fat can be found mostly in grain products, fish and sea food (herring, salmon, mackerel, halibut), soybeans, and fish oil. Foods like mayonnaise and soft margarine may also be good sources, but you should always check the nutritional label first. Polyunsaturated fat is necessary for the body and protects against illness[citation needed]. Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil, fish and seafood lower the total amount of fat in the blood, which can lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of getting cardiovascular diseases.[1] Omega-6 fatty acids in sunflower oil and safflower oil also reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, but can contribute to allergies and inflammation.[citation needed]
</b>