Home from school

Ashland

I am not a teenager but my daughter is 14 and is having problems with her pancrease. She is probably going to miss a lot of school because of the pain in her abdomen. Do any of you have any advise for her that have been in this situation?

Twistofchaos

Could tell her not to worry too much. Education is slightly overrated and if health gets in the way of her education that still won't keep her from finding her way in life.
I've been at home a lot but learned a lot more at home through devouring my parents old fashioned huge encyclopedia bookrange, doing experiments and through computerprogramming than I ever did at any school.

But directly ofcourse a lot depends on the good will of her teachers and fellow students. At most of the schools I went to I'd have a friend that I'd call at the end of the day for the homework tasks and that way I never did fall behind. Sometimes I'd need to do an exam at a different time and usually it wasn't a problem but the teachers need to know what's going on.

Ashland

Thank you for those points. I will share that with her and that is exactly what she needs to hear. I think there is a fear that missing some school will be a disaster.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My suggestion would be to be proactive: To contact each teacher to determine how she can learn of assignements and how the work can be made-up. It might be best to start with administrator and then move on. If she takes the approach of "I want to do this so I can keep up and do it in the least burdensome way possible, etc." and maybe even have some suggestions handy so the teachers see she is thinking about how to make it work and not having the teachers figure it out.

AmalynRose

Online school!

Depending on the state you live in, you may want to consider enrolling her in online public school. This may be a good alternative because your daughter would be able to rest when she needs and do the work when she is feeling well. Many states offer this with the idea that the child works through the material and can ask questions, either through a chat program with a teacher or call via Skype. She would probably have to take assessments on a time table, but like I stated, she could take those early on the days she is feeling well and you could work with the instructors and explain your situation. The best thing about online public schools is that the child can go at their own pace. If she does all the work in 4 hours a day, then her school day is 4 hours long. Here is a link to them listed by state: http://distancelearn.about.com/od/onlinepublicschools/a/OnlinePS.htm

I know that socially she may feel a little more secluded from her friends. She should still be able to join after school clubs with her friends at the school she is currently attending and there would be a lot of time for her to socialize after school.

If this isn't an option for you, don't feel panicked. Talk to the teachers and the administrators and I'm sure they can help your daughter succeed even if she misses a lot of school.

Jimmya

My son was having to miss school a lot due to being sick. Even with a 504 plan in place it made it really difficult to keep up. Though the 504 plan is a great tool to have, we had it arranged so that he could do an abbreviated portion of the work. He could take quizzes and test then move on as long as he showed good comprehension.

Though we now home school him due to the amount of time he has spent in the hospital, which takes a lot of pressure off of him.

I have to agree with Twist of chaos, education is second to health. without health there will be no education.