hospital bills

biz

i should start with the good news that aidan finally got approved for medicade. i feel like a miracle has happened to us. now onto the bad news we have so many hospital bills and im going to be honest here its bills from the past four years we still cant pay. the health insurance weve had in the past is just awefull. its an 80/20 split. and im pretty sure we have met the outrageous deductable for aidan but i still think we have a percentage we have to pay anyway.  we just got a bill today for his sinus surgery in july and its over 2,000 dollars. how are we supposed to pay that. with the past bills that we have gotton and havent payed plus the bill i have for his meds from the cf pharmacy(we pay 25.00 a month on that outstanding bill but it really isnt making a dent it in cause it just keeps getting bigger and bigger every time i order refills.) i really have no idea how to pay these bills off. the medicade will only pay for the past 3 months weve had anything to pay for ourselves or submitted thru insurance and still had a payment. so like i said were overflowing with bills from the past 4 years. does any1 go thru this too or have any suggestions for help or advice?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Elizabethmama to Aidan 5 w/CF<br>

biz

i should start with the good news that aidan finally got approved for medicade. i feel like a miracle has happened to us. now onto the bad news we have so many hospital bills and im going to be honest here its bills from the past four years we still cant pay. the health insurance weve had in the past is just awefull. its an 80/20 split. and im pretty sure we have met the outrageous deductable for aidan but i still think we have a percentage we have to pay anyway. we just got a bill today for his sinus surgery in july and its over 2,000 dollars. how are we supposed to pay that. with the past bills that we have gotton and havent payed plus the bill i have for his meds from the cf pharmacy(we pay 25.00 a month on that outstanding bill but it really isnt making a dent it in cause it just keeps getting bigger and bigger every time i order refills.) i really have no idea how to pay these bills off. the medicade will only pay for the past 3 months weve had anything to pay for ourselves or submitted thru insurance and still had a payment. so like i said were overflowing with bills from the past 4 years. does any1 go thru this too or have any suggestions for help or advice?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Elizabethmama to Aidan 5 w/CF<br>

biz

<p>i should start with the good news that aidan finally got approved for medicade. i feel like a miracle has happened to us. now onto the bad news we have so many hospital bills and im going to be honest here its bills from the past four years we still cant pay. the health insurance weve had in the past is just awefull. its an 80/20 split. and im pretty sure we have met the outrageous deductable for aidan but i still think we have a percentage we have to pay anyway. <p><p>we just got a bill today for his sinus surgery in july and its over 2,000 dollars. how are we supposed to pay that. with the past bills that we have gotton and havent payed plus the bill i have for his meds from the cf pharmacy(we pay 25.00 a month on that outstanding bill but it really isnt making a dent it in cause it just keeps getting bigger and bigger every time i order refills.) i really have no idea how to pay these bills off. the medicade will only pay for the past 3 months weve had anything to pay for ourselves or submitted thru insurance and still had a payment. so like i said were overflowing with bills from the past 4 years. does any1 go thru this too or have any suggestions for help or advice?<p>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>Elizabeth<p>mama to Aidan 5 w/CF<br>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you contacted the business office at the hospital to see about making arrangments thru a payment plan? Does your clinic/hospital have a social worker you could talk to?

Also, years ago a coworker of mine's son had heart surgery at a children's hospital in the City and when she contacted the hospital about inability to pay, they made a reduction in the bill. IMO, doesn't hurt to ask...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you contacted the business office at the hospital to see about making arrangments thru a payment plan? Does your clinic/hospital have a social worker you could talk to?

Also, years ago a coworker of mine's son had heart surgery at a children's hospital in the City and when she contacted the hospital about inability to pay, they made a reduction in the bill. IMO, doesn't hurt to ask...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Also, years ago a coworker of mine's son had heart surgery at a children's hospital in the City and when she contacted the hospital about inability to pay, they made a reduction in the bill. IMO, doesn't hurt to ask...

biz

yes i have a social worker at the hospital she really doesnt give me much help not sure why either. its like she has no outlets for me to go to and when i ask her for help with the bills, like here take them talk to whoever you can in this hospital and find out what i should do she wont. she told me to contact my insurance company and have a social worker thru them do that. but er go back on the 16th so im gona talk to her again. if we do payment plans we can only spare maybe 50.00 a month how long would it take to pay off 2,000 that way? i guess payments of three years is gona have to be the way. sometimes ive been told that they wont take such a small payment they want more. i will ask about reduction in the bill its worth a try.....thanks

biz

yes i have a social worker at the hospital she really doesnt give me much help not sure why either. its like she has no outlets for me to go to and when i ask her for help with the bills, like here take them talk to whoever you can in this hospital and find out what i should do she wont. she told me to contact my insurance company and have a social worker thru them do that. but er go back on the 16th so im gona talk to her again. if we do payment plans we can only spare maybe 50.00 a month how long would it take to pay off 2,000 that way? i guess payments of three years is gona have to be the way. sometimes ive been told that they wont take such a small payment they want more. i will ask about reduction in the bill its worth a try.....thanks

biz

jimiv

<P>Ask for the reduction.  For the hospital they can write off a lot if you can work with them.  At Children's Hopspital in New Orleans (where my son is currently) they have a plan for those who meet a certain income level (double medicaid levels) they will cover deductables and fees that insurance does not.  Perhaps your hospital has the same thing.  Also depending when you qualified for medicaid, they may be able to backdate the coverage to catch some of your recent bills.  Call their office for that.  Good luck and remember, the hospital would rather accept something that nothing.  </P>
<P> </P>

jimiv

<P>Ask for the reduction. For the hospital they can write off a lot if you can work with them. At Children's Hopspital in New Orleans (where my son is currently) they have a plan for those who meet a certain income level (double medicaid levels) they will cover deductables and fees that insurance does not. Perhaps your hospital has the same thing. Also depending when you qualified for medicaid, they may be able to backdate the coverage to catch some of your recent bills. Call their office for that. Good luck and remember, the hospital would rather accept something that nothing. </P>
<P></P>

jimiv

<P><BR>Ask for the reduction. For the hospital they can write off a lot if you can work with them. At Children's Hopspital in New Orleans (where my son is currently) they have a plan for those who meet a certain income level (double medicaid levels) they will cover deductables and fees that insurance does not. Perhaps your hospital has the same thing. Also depending when you qualified for medicaid, they may be able to backdate the coverage to catch some of your recent bills. Call their office for that. Good luck and remember, the hospital would rather accept something that nothing. </P>
<P></P>

biz

thanks for the help. medicade will only cover the past three months, so that will be resubmitted. ive got calls to make today to the hospital billing and will ask for the reduction.

biz

thanks for the help. medicade will only cover the past three months, so that will be resubmitted. ive got calls to make today to the hospital billing and will ask for the reduction.

biz

B

BikerEd

YES, Call the business office; they will make arrangements for you to make payments. I have great insurance but my last hospital stay I could have paid off the balance but that would have hurt my savings and put my family at risk if an emergency arouse. So we (me and my wife) spoke with the Hospital and came up with a payment plan, and they don't care how long it takes to pay, just that you are making the effort. Because if you don't, like what happened to me ONCE, they wanted me to sign a promissory note, and use my Parents house as collateral before they would admit me. I did neither and swore I would never be in that position again.

B

BikerEd

YES, Call the business office; they will make arrangements for you to make payments. I have great insurance but my last hospital stay I could have paid off the balance but that would have hurt my savings and put my family at risk if an emergency arouse. So we (me and my wife) spoke with the Hospital and came up with a payment plan, and they don't care how long it takes to pay, just that you are making the effort. Because if you don't, like what happened to me ONCE, they wanted me to sign a promissory note, and use my Parents house as collateral before they would admit me. I did neither and swore I would never be in that position again.

B

BikerEd