Hospitalization and port

Jeana

So, I'm thinking I'm going to be needing a hospitalization soon. My biggest dread is always how long my doctor is going to make me stay. He is not very flexible. But I'm wondering if that might be different now that I have a port. Will I even need to be hospitalized? Can they access it outpatient just like a flush?

LouLou

As long as you've been on the medications before in patient, he shouldn't have a problem with you getting home care. He may want you there until your levels are fine (day 3 or 4) but then you'll need to get them checked again on day 8 whcih you can do at Quest or through your home health care nurse if you schedule the dressing change at the same time. For some reason home care cant bill for a blood draw alone. The only other thing you'll need to convince him of is that you are really going to rest and eat well. Who will take care of the kids? Can you get some support with the cooking, cleaning, etc. If you will have to be 'regular old mom' if you are home then you are better off in-patient. Time for a heart-to-heart with hubs. Do you have family around to help?

clkelly

Yes it can be accessed at home. Usually they can have a home care nurse show you how to access it yourself and continue antibiotics at home. My son did that several times.
Cathie