How can I safely lose 10 lb?

Enzo2311

So I asked my CF dr if I could lose weight to get abs and stuff. She said I can lose weight if I wanted to, and she said I shouldn't lose more than 10 lb or so. So how do I do this safely?

calebf

Increase workout regimens to burn fat and gain muscle (as a guy with CF there's no reason to lose weight). If you're maxing out the number of workouts you can do between recovery periods then try upping cardio intensity and duration. Nothing is better for the lungs than some intense cardio. If you're looking to really burn fat, try swimming (also great for the lungs). Immersion in water burns more calories faster because it requires more energy to maintain body temperature.

Twistofchaos

You've asked this atleast five times by now here and people (and me) have taken the time to write you extensive replies.
Besides doing your own research you could of atleast payed attention.

running4life

Lay off the desire for abs. Seems like it's all you post about. Trust me, it's not the be all end all. Health is far more important than any aesthetics.

Do some research. It comes down to diet and exercise. Mostly diet.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Enzo,

Good job getting your doctor in on your desire to lose or convert 10 lbs to muscle. Some stellar athletes who also have CF have given you motivation and some starting pointers. The whole point seems to get you off dead center. Don't get in/on any motorized vehicle for a few months. This may amaze you but walking farther than to the garage can do wonders.

Have you purchased your weight set, investigated and purchased a book or magazine on body building, checked out whey and soy Muscle Milk, started a daily workout? What have you actually done to convert this body mass? Thankfully other contributors have poked you in the backside in hopes you leap from the nest. Fly or quit chirping about it.

Here's some fun. On a Friday evening after good hydration and a Power Bar, have your friends keep you ankles down and do sit ups until you can't do another one. Drink some Gatorade, eat a banana and repeat the task in an hour. If you can get out of bed the next day, do some more sit ups. Rest a couple days and bingo, instant six pack. At your age, weight is a premium but until your late 20's six packs in a week are possible. They won't be bulging masses of masses, but you will define and tighten the abdominal muscles so any bloating is kept behind a wall of muscles.

If you hope this is going to up your status among your peers and make girls swoon, you'll need a different tack. Girls may hope for broad shouldered muscular guys, but any broad shouldered, muscular guy obsessed by their own body image would turn all but the most vain of women, off. Body builders recognize that you are stalled. It happens when you fear that a whole bunch of work will result in nothing. If you belive that, give up.

LL

bloggymom

I have been able to loose 7 lbs just by doing physical therapy. I have been eating normally.. I am a little piggie. I am doing physical therapy because I have hip dypslasia and am getting ready for hip preservation surgery. I had to loose weight before they would ever consider doing surgery. I have to be in excellent condition.

I am doing leg lifts, pelvis raises, clamshell leg exercises. I am also walking 2-3 days a week. All of that and the weight is falling off (lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks). My blood sugars are also getting more under control. My "buddha belly" is almost completely gone and my digestive system is working amazing.

I would get some professional help loosing weight. They can help you do the right exercises. My lung doctor and the hip doctor are watching my progress.

Enzo2311

I walk about 6-10 miles a week. I've been working out for a few months now but I haven't seen anything progress wise.

Melissa75

Administrator
You have high lung function and low exacerbation rate, right? And have had no major exacerbations during this few months you're talking about?

If all that is true, you need to be taking your workouts to another level--bit by bit, but bigger harder working bits. You should be finishing sweaty and having sore muscles the next day (or two). Not injured muscles from being reckless, sore from doing controlled difficult movements repeatedly.

And I agree with twist. You have already received a lot of amazing advice. People take the time to respond to you and you might consider rereading your old posts.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Dude,

I am 63 years old and I walk 3-6 miles a day! I would have you outpaced by Tuesday so maybe you need to build on your exercise capacity before you consider losing some weight.

LL

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Enzo,

My apologies. It is too easy to see things better in hindsight. Although the asset I was able to build and flex rested on my prematurely hunched shoulders at a similar age to yours, many of my peers were body conscious and most were not happy with what they saw.

I have been doing more research and the CF Foundation recommends a significant amount of fats in a CFer's daily diet. You may need to take a couple extra Creon but fats are still the highest concentration of usable calories. In general protein is fast muscle fuel and burning lots of protein by exercise is muscle making. Carbohydrate loading with sweet potatoes or pasta is done prior to athletic events or a long work out. Fats don't just get stored, in fact it provides a reserve boost of calories so you always have more than enough.

LL