How come I didn't know this?

M

Mommafirst

Alyssa had another appointment at the CF center today. Good news, she's finally gained a little weight and her cough is finally gone, so they were pretty happy. But as I was discussing vitamins and how they taste with the pulm, CF nurse, and dietician, I mentioned that Alyssa only seems to like the taste of tylenol. DEAD silence as they looked at one another. Then the pulm says that we should only give her motrin, tylenol could have bad liver consequences in CF patients. WHEN were they going to tell me this??? Shouldn't this be a part of the very first day patient education??? Infant Tylenol is pretty much the only thing you can give to a baby under 6 months for pain, and I used it for all three kids. I never considered this to be an issue.

Am I the only one who missed this piece of information? I consider myself well-read. I'm a college professor, I have not stopped reading CF stuff since our diagnosis nearly 6 months ago, and I have never come accross this.

Any other major pieces of information I'm missing??? Once again, CF turns normal upside down!!!!!!

M

Mommafirst

Alyssa had another appointment at the CF center today. Good news, she's finally gained a little weight and her cough is finally gone, so they were pretty happy. But as I was discussing vitamins and how they taste with the pulm, CF nurse, and dietician, I mentioned that Alyssa only seems to like the taste of tylenol. DEAD silence as they looked at one another. Then the pulm says that we should only give her motrin, tylenol could have bad liver consequences in CF patients. WHEN were they going to tell me this??? Shouldn't this be a part of the very first day patient education??? Infant Tylenol is pretty much the only thing you can give to a baby under 6 months for pain, and I used it for all three kids. I never considered this to be an issue.

Am I the only one who missed this piece of information? I consider myself well-read. I'm a college professor, I have not stopped reading CF stuff since our diagnosis nearly 6 months ago, and I have never come accross this.

Any other major pieces of information I'm missing??? Once again, CF turns normal upside down!!!!!!

M

Mommafirst

Nicole

I have never heard this and used it with all 3 kids. I think they probably even gave it to Danny while he was a patient in the hospital as a newborn.

Nicole

I have never heard this and used it with all 3 kids. I think they probably even gave it to Danny while he was a patient in the hospital as a newborn.

Nicole

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I thought too much ibuprofen could cause liver problems and that too much tylenol could affect kidneys. Know this has been discussed before here.

We were never told not to use tylenol. In fact when DS was recovering from his bowel obstruction surgery, he was given tylenol suppositories for pain.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I thought too much ibuprofen could cause liver problems and that too much tylenol could affect kidneys. Know this has been discussed before here.

We were never told not to use tylenol. In fact when DS was recovering from his bowel obstruction surgery, he was given tylenol suppositories for pain.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

ktsmom

Tylenol can be bad for anyone's liver, sometimes even at the recommended dosage. So I guess it makes sense that cf'ers with liver issues (like my kid) shouldn't use it. I had NOT made the connection yet on my own, however.

I'm with you - I feel like I never know enough, no matter how much I read and research. It can be very discouraging........

Dana
Mom to Katy (3, cf) and Kyra (6, no cf)

ktsmom

Tylenol can be bad for anyone's liver, sometimes even at the recommended dosage. So I guess it makes sense that cf'ers with liver issues (like my kid) shouldn't use it. I had NOT made the connection yet on my own, however.

I'm with you - I feel like I never know enough, no matter how much I read and research. It can be very discouraging........

Dana

ktsmom

Dana

wanderlost

at 29 I have taken tons of tylenol over the years, with no known ill effects, and i have never heard this....as an adult I do opt to use other remedies first before going to pharmaceuticals, but as a mom, I have found tylenol to be a life saver more than once! I;d think if your child has no known liver issues at this time you would be OK with the right dosage.

wanderlost

at 29 I have taken tons of tylenol over the years, with no known ill effects, and i have never heard this....as an adult I do opt to use other remedies first before going to pharmaceuticals, but as a mom, I have found tylenol to be a life saver more than once! I;d think if your child has no known liver issues at this time you would be OK with the right dosage.

wanderlost

CFHockeyMom

Most meds are hard on the liver regardless of CF. If youf CFer already has liver issues then Tylenol should be used judiciously. If not then use as indicated. Sean has been given Tylenol numerous time while in the hospital for pain managment. I wouldn't worry about it.

CFHockeyMom

Most meds are hard on the liver regardless of CF. If youf CFer already has liver issues then Tylenol should be used judiciously. If not then use as indicated. Sean has been given Tylenol numerous time while in the hospital for pain managment. I wouldn't worry about it.

CFHockeyMom