How do I beef up

NoExcuses

I recommend a fat @$$ in a cup - otherwise known as a Starbucks Frappuccino (you can get drinks that don't have caffine).

The large ones have about 800 calories a pop. And they're very tastey with many different flavors sans caffine.

HelpCureCF

I have a 2.5 year old daughter who is SUCH a picky eater....and she eats like a bird...it is so incredibly frustrating...every single day, every single meal is hard for me to get through...I could've written your post...
She is however in the 60th percentile for weight because of my secret weapon that I know I've shared before on this board... BOOST PUDDING...I get it through the Target pharmacy...no prescription needed..and it takes 24 hours to get it..you just call them and it'll be there the next day..We buy it by the case..(but you can buy as few as 4 to see if she likes it). We buy vanilla and chocolate...it also comes in butterscoth...Our daughter has been eating this since she is 10 months old...She has 2 a day...She started refusing it for the 1st time 6 months ago..and we were freaking out...but I started adding it to her pediasure and she has no idea that it's in there...it's so thick...but she doesn't mind..I use a sippy cup with the straw though..it's the only way she'll drink it...Hope this helps...
Between the pediasure and boost pudding...it's what made her and keeps her fat. She was 15 lbs from the time she was 4 months-----10 months old..her weight has skyrocketed since...We couldn't get her to gain any weight ...

HelpCureCF

I have a 2.5 year old daughter who is SUCH a picky eater....and she eats like a bird...it is so incredibly frustrating...every single day, every single meal is hard for me to get through...I could've written your post...
She is however in the 60th percentile for weight because of my secret weapon that I know I've shared before on this board... BOOST PUDDING...I get it through the Target pharmacy...no prescription needed..and it takes 24 hours to get it..you just call them and it'll be there the next day..We buy it by the case..(but you can buy as few as 4 to see if she likes it). We buy vanilla and chocolate...it also comes in butterscoth...Our daughter has been eating this since she is 10 months old...She has 2 a day...She started refusing it for the 1st time 6 months ago..and we were freaking out...but I started adding it to her pediasure and she has no idea that it's in there...it's so thick...but she doesn't mind..I use a sippy cup with the straw though..it's the only way she'll drink it...Hope this helps...
Between the pediasure and boost pudding...it's what made her and keeps her fat. She was 15 lbs from the time she was 4 months-----10 months old..her weight has skyrocketed since...We couldn't get her to gain any weight ...

HelpCureCF

M

Mommafirst

Boost pudding, oooh, we got a few of those from the nutritionist and then forgot about them. I'm going to go to Target and check with them tomorrow.

And the Frappuccino is scary fattening -- I might have to get her the vannila chip one or something similar!!

M

Mommafirst

Boost pudding, oooh, we got a few of those from the nutritionist and then forgot about them. I'm going to go to Target and check with them tomorrow.

And the Frappuccino is scary fattening -- I might have to get her the vannila chip one or something similar!!

M

Mommafirst

Foody

The things which I believe help our son most are:

GSH (Glutathione) which reduces inflammation, increases appetite for many, and provides powerful antioxident protection.

Probiotics (daily) like Reb mentioned, just seconding that and how much it helps the gut to absorb nutrients.

DHA in the diet and as a supplement (ground flax can be snuck into a lot of things). We like Nordic Naturals strawberry liquid gels.

Tumeric has helped our son with stool consistency quite a bit. We like New Chapter Tumeric Force one cap daily.

Anti-inflammatory diet can really help. Getting white sugar, corn syrup, white flour and hydrogenated oils out of the diet (which means the supplemental drinks they recommend) can help weight gain believe it or not. Many of the adults on this board have experimented with this and had great results both in terms of weight and lung health. Check this discussion out for some great info. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=18569&enterthread=y
">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...d=18569&enterthread=y
</a>
We go through the toddler issues too on and off. It is so hard to know if it is just normal kids development stuff or something to freak out about. I agree with finding the healthy favorites and doing them as much as possible. I sometimes do a drawer or basket in the cupboard with healthy choices like Clif Bars (all natural no cornsyrup and great calories), trail mixes, chips for dipping, cheese, ect. Then he can pick some times. Toddlers love choice. There are tons of peanut butter ideas coming to my mind from making sandwiches and cutting them up into special shapes to adding flax seeds to PB and tossing in some rice krispies and honey then rolling into balls and dusting in cocoa powder (can you say run on sentence). Cooking or preparing snacks with her may really help interest her in food. Coconut oil is a great thing to add to oatmeal and rice...cooking breaded chicken in it is really yummy (www.tropicaltraditions.com). Turkey rolled with cream cheese is a good boost of protein if she is eating on the run.

I also noticed with Ben if we let him drink too much between meals he won't eat as much. I would only offer drinks at or after meals/snacks.

Best of luck to you...

Foody

GSH (Glutathione) which reduces inflammation, increases appetite for many, and provides powerful antioxident protection.

Probiotics (daily) like Reb mentioned, just seconding that and how much it helps the gut to absorb nutrients.

DHA in the diet and as a supplement (ground flax can be snuck into a lot of things). We like Nordic Naturals strawberry liquid gels.

Tumeric has helped our son with stool consistency quite a bit. We like New Chapter Tumeric Force one cap daily.

Anti-inflammatory diet can really help. Getting white sugar, corn syrup, white flour and hydrogenated oils out of the diet (which means the supplemental drinks they recommend) can help weight gain believe it or not. Many of the adults on this board have experimented with this and had great results both in terms of weight and lung health. Check this discussion out for some great info. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=18569&enterthread=y
</a>
We go through the toddler issues too on and off. It is so hard to know if it is just normal kids development stuff or something to freak out about. I agree with finding the healthy favorites and doing them as much as possible. I sometimes do a drawer or basket in the cupboard with healthy choices like Clif Bars (all natural no cornsyrup and great calories), trail mixes, chips for dipping, cheese, ect. Then he can pick some times. Toddlers love choice. There are tons of peanut butter ideas coming to my mind from making sandwiches and cutting them up into special shapes to adding flax seeds to PB and tossing in some rice krispies and honey then rolling into balls and dusting in cocoa powder (can you say run on sentence). Cooking or preparing snacks with her may really help interest her in food. Coconut oil is a great thing to add to oatmeal and rice...cooking breaded chicken in it is really yummy (www.tropicaltraditions.com). Turkey rolled with cream cheese is a good boost of protein if she is eating on the run.

I also noticed with Ben if we let him drink too much between meals he won't eat as much. I would only offer drinks at or after meals/snacks.

Best of luck to you...

Foody

</a>

Best of luck to you...

ViviansMom

We went 3 years with my Vivian only weighing 38lbs, so I just threw out the meal plans and feed her whenever and what ever she wanted. It use to gross me out to see her eat a stick of butter like a candy bar but if she was eating and gaining it was all good.

Also ask your doctor about scandi shakes some of you have read me talking about them before they are great for weight gain and my daughter says they taste great to.

ViviansMom

We went 3 years with my Vivian only weighing 38lbs, so I just threw out the meal plans and feed her whenever and what ever she wanted. It use to gross me out to see her eat a stick of butter like a candy bar but if she was eating and gaining it was all good.

Also ask your doctor about scandi shakes some of you have read me talking about them before they are great for weight gain and my daughter says they taste great to.

ViviansMom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Goes in spurts and I've learned not to panic. Somedays, DS won't eat a thing -- a week ago he refused to eat at preschool because they served "dirty food". Or one day only ate watermelon. Other days he's a bottomless pit.

Last night I asked him what he wanted for supper and he wanted a cheeseburger and fries. So he did his usual ate about half of it, drank his some whole milk with cream in it and had a bowl of peanuts for dessert. I took him with me to doggy obedience school an hour later and on the drive home he starts saying "I want noodles" and was singing "noodles, noodles, noodles". Fortunately we'd had pasta earlier in the week, so I just heated up some noodles, snuck in a little olive oil & butter (he can't SEE the butter or he won't eat it) and salted. He sat down and ate a bowl of noodles for a bedtime snack and then two packages of fruit snacks.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Goes in spurts and I've learned not to panic. Somedays, DS won't eat a thing -- a week ago he refused to eat at preschool because they served "dirty food". Or one day only ate watermelon. Other days he's a bottomless pit.

Last night I asked him what he wanted for supper and he wanted a cheeseburger and fries. So he did his usual ate about half of it, drank his some whole milk with cream in it and had a bowl of peanuts for dessert. I took him with me to doggy obedience school an hour later and on the drive home he starts saying "I want noodles" and was singing "noodles, noodles, noodles". Fortunately we'd had pasta earlier in the week, so I just heated up some noodles, snuck in a little olive oil & butter (he can't SEE the butter or he won't eat it) and salted. He sat down and ate a bowl of noodles for a bedtime snack and then two packages of fruit snacks.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

DEES4

Eating and gaining weight has been an issue for us almost since day 1. My son is 3 years old and about 32 pounds. He is also highly allergic to milk and egg whites and mildy allergic to a few other things. It has been quite the challenge to find foods that are high in calories without milk or eggs being one of the ingredients. I always say if he can gain weight anyone can. I sit him down at each meal with the rest of us and give him what he can have of what we are eating. I let him eat as much as he will by himself and then I sit him in front of a cartoon and finish feeding the rest to him. If he dosen't like what we are eating then I will make him what he likes. I know that feeding a three year old still sounds ridiculous but I do what I have to do to help him gain weight. I will not take no for an answer and he usually will eat what is on his plate. I usually feed him a good snack while he is in the tub playing. I have found that if he is doing something else while he is eating he eats alot better. Maybe because he isn't sitting there thinking about it and is preoccupied with playing. I know that these are not the ideal ways of getting children to eat but this is what works for us.
I also add olive oil to things like chicken noodle soup because it is so low in fat but he loves it. I would feed her peanut butter alot if she likes it that well. I sometimes add a little olive oil to peanut butter to make it less thick and he eats it out of a bowl.
I also give him the things that Jody (Foody) recommended to you. I think the GSH has been the best thing ever. His appetite is good and I am hoping that he begins gaining weight even better. He has only been up to full dosage of the GSH for a few weeks.
I know how hard it is....just hang in there!!
Carrie

DEES4

Eating and gaining weight has been an issue for us almost since day 1. My son is 3 years old and about 32 pounds. He is also highly allergic to milk and egg whites and mildy allergic to a few other things. It has been quite the challenge to find foods that are high in calories without milk or eggs being one of the ingredients. I always say if he can gain weight anyone can. I sit him down at each meal with the rest of us and give him what he can have of what we are eating. I let him eat as much as he will by himself and then I sit him in front of a cartoon and finish feeding the rest to him. If he dosen't like what we are eating then I will make him what he likes. I know that feeding a three year old still sounds ridiculous but I do what I have to do to help him gain weight. I will not take no for an answer and he usually will eat what is on his plate. I usually feed him a good snack while he is in the tub playing. I have found that if he is doing something else while he is eating he eats alot better. Maybe because he isn't sitting there thinking about it and is preoccupied with playing. I know that these are not the ideal ways of getting children to eat but this is what works for us.
I also add olive oil to things like chicken noodle soup because it is so low in fat but he loves it. I would feed her peanut butter alot if she likes it that well. I sometimes add a little olive oil to peanut butter to make it less thick and he eats it out of a bowl.
I also give him the things that Jody (Foody) recommended to you. I think the GSH has been the best thing ever. His appetite is good and I am hoping that he begins gaining weight even better. He has only been up to full dosage of the GSH for a few weeks.
Carrie

DEES4

Carrie

mommy2cass

Mommafirst,

This works for Cass. She is a very picky eater as well. We have good days and bad days with eating. I mix up a quarter of a can of Carnation instant Breakfast 560 calories with Nestle Choclate syrup and top with vitamin D milk.Then shake! She calls it her milkshake milk. Thats what she has for breakfast cause that is the hardest meal of the day. And a few times a week my husband makes milkshakes with the same things only adds chocolate icecream to it. She wont drink the Carnation alone that is why we tried to make it fun. Oh yeah, and it has to go in her favorite spongebob cup. Hope you can find something that Alyssa likes!