How do YOU clean your nebulizer?

Enzo2311

The drs told me just hot water (really hot). I'm kinda confused, cause I always thought that vinegar would be stronger. But they said to stop using vinegar cause it has gotten stronger (the cf virus or whatever).

Do I have to clean my nebulizer after every use or can I just let it dry after I use it and use it again the next day, then I will soak it in hot water? It's a pain having to wash it after every use, so can I use it for 2 days then wash it really good and let it soak in hot water ?

Enzo2311

Are you sure they didn't say BOILING water? As in boil the cup? That is one way to sterilize it. I've melted cups that way though. So I use a microwave baby bottle sterilizer. If you take the cups out while they are still somewhat hot, they will air-dry before the next day.
the water gets to about 170-200 degrees f

JustaCFmom

From what I understand, vinegar doesn't kill enough bugs.

We use a baby bottle sterilizer and it is really no big deal. After we wash and rinse the nebulizers, they get put in the sterilizer (mine is made for the microwave) and they are *sterile* after 8 minutes. Now that I have an e flow, I wish I had a regular electric one, because the e flow has a metal part that can't go in the microwave.

I know another mom that bought an electric kettle that she only uses for their nebulizers and it shuts off after the water boils. Personally, I am very happy with my system and my mind is at ease that everything is really clean. I think steam is very effective.

I don't fuss with air drying because all the pieces are sterile for 24 hours. If the time has passed for some reason, I just do another 8 minute cycle.

It isnt worth making yourself sick from some bug or mold or who-knows-what.

CyrilCrodius

I put them in a strainer and shake them vigorously in hot soapy water in a large stainless steel bowl. Then, I rinse them and put them in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. I take them out with tongs and let them dry covered with a clean dish cloth. I used to use paper towels until I realized that they left small dust particles on the silicon parts.

I'd really like to invest in something that would be large enough to sterilize and dry all my nebs (I have a lot), in which I could leave the nebs after they're done drying, do I wouldn't have to expose them to the ambient air or to a potentially contaminated dish cloth.

R

RytheStunner

You have to make sure nothing sits at the bottom for a long amount of time. So you have to put them in water that's already boiling so the convection prevents them from touching the bottom of the pan.

That won't prevent them from melting if you forget about them and most of the water evaporates (which is what happened several times for me)

K

kguben

Hi everyone
i think it is also important to replace the air filter and also consider cleaning inside where very thin dust particles can occur inside The compressor. These enter inside via The filter and settles down at The outlet membrane of The compressor

CureCF4Teo

Dishwasher - all parts, even the masks and those aerochambers used for inhalers - I use the china/crystal setting and the air dry setting. Then I put a clean dish towel in a big bowl and place all the parts in there to dry. Then when dry, I put all the parts together and have them categorized by the types of neb cups they are in 5 different drawers in a Tupperware type cart. Then the bowl gets put on top for easy toss when I take the dirty ones apart. Yes, some say about the pseudomonas concerns with the dishwasher, however; we have not cultured that. Before I had a dishwasher, I use to soak everything in hot, soapy water, rinse with hot water, then fill a big bowl with water, put the pieces in and put it in the microwave for 5-10mins, depending the power of your microwave. Then I'd take the pieces out with a tong and lay them out on a clean dish towel. When I do a flutter or acapella though, I clean that in hot soapy water, rinse in hot water, then let it soak in water/capful of 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then final rinse with water I've boiled that has cooled. Cause those pieces will get destroyed easily by heat! I found out the hard way after having to replace a couple! One thing I know for sure - like I think everyone else said, plain old water alone in the whole process is not recommended; no matter how hot - too much bacteria going on there! Hope this helped some. :)

Jellybaby

What I do for cleaning is I wash them every time I use them. I wash them in soapy water rinse them and then I use a steriliser (like the baby bottle ones) there really quick to use and that way your killing any germs and making sure there super clean before you use them again :)