how do you deal with control issues when you need to maintain control?

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm assuming you use lots of fresh ingredients and cook from scratch. Explain to her how everything is manufacturered and un-natural (dare I say C_RAP!) in the feeding.</end quote>
<br />Just feel the need to point out that MANY of us parents do everything we can to provide the best diet possible with the best food possible and that 'crap manufactured food' that goes through the tube can be the difference between growth failure and health. It is NOT CRAP. it is what we need to do sometimes to help our child thrive. I totally get the point of what you are trying to say in your post- you have a lot of great ideas and what you said there was only a tiny part of your post- but to the parents here who have done so many things to feed their children well and then have to resort to 'artificial' feedings anyway- that kind of assumption hurts.

LouLou

I agree Harriet that it is needed I just think it's important to stress to the kids that it isn't food that's going in the tube. It's a weight gaining supplement. Perhaps that's not necessary though. And perhaps they are not all equal. I never hear you all talking about how some are better than others in terms of ingredients.

Isaac hasn't gained any weight in the last 3 months so we were given some weight gaining stuff "we could use if we wanted to." I read the ingredients and was very disappointed. This product was called Duocal. This is where my knowledge came from. And like you said, parents shouldn't feel guilt b/c they have done what they can. I commend parents for getting a g-tube actually. Weight is SOOO important. I think the biggest factor of why I am doing so well today is because I've always been a great weight. So bulk 'em up however you can :)

LouLou

I agree Harriet that it is needed I just think it's important to stress to the kids that it isn't food that's going in the tube. It's a weight gaining supplement. Perhaps that's not necessary though. And perhaps they are not all equal. I never hear you all talking about how some are better than others in terms of ingredients.

Isaac hasn't gained any weight in the last 3 months so we were given some weight gaining stuff "we could use if we wanted to." I read the ingredients and was very disappointed. This product was called Duocal. This is where my knowledge came from. And like you said, parents shouldn't feel guilt b/c they have done what they can. I commend parents for getting a g-tube actually. Weight is SOOO important. I think the biggest factor of why I am doing so well today is because I've always been a great weight. So bulk 'em up however you can :)

LouLou

<br />
<br />Isaac hasn't gained any weight in the last 3 months so we were given some weight gaining stuff "we could use if we wanted to." I read the ingredients and was very disappointed. This product was called Duocal. This is where my knowledge came from. And like you said, parents shouldn't feel guilt b/c they have done what they can. I commend parents for getting a g-tube actually. Weight is SOOO important. I think the biggest factor of why I am doing so well today is because I've always been a great weight. So bulk 'em up however you can :)

hmw

Emily will be getting a supplement overnight that could be used to feed a child that could not eat orally at all- it's completely balanced nutritionally speaking. It's made with pre-digested protein to help with absorption, and with mct fat, which has been studied extensively in those with cf. So thought has been put into what supplement will be given her, which I appreciate. The supplements do vary a lot- and parents often have to try many to get good results. They are discussed fairly often here. Emily tried several of the supplements already that are designed to help with gain. She especially loves Scandishakes, but they end up replacing food in her diet, not supplementing it... nighttime calories will be better for her we think. She's a great eater and I want to keep it that way. She loves fruit and vegetables and a wide range of healthy food. We don't want to lose that. I hope the g-tube helps her in gaining weight but allows her to continue to be a healthy eater as she's always been.

I know the original poster has been through a tremendous amount in trying to help her daughter; trying all kinds of approaches to eating- gone to really extreme lengths trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with her. The ng tube has been the first thing that's resulted in weight gain in a very long time.

hmw

Emily will be getting a supplement overnight that could be used to feed a child that could not eat orally at all- it's completely balanced nutritionally speaking. It's made with pre-digested protein to help with absorption, and with mct fat, which has been studied extensively in those with cf. So thought has been put into what supplement will be given her, which I appreciate. The supplements do vary a lot- and parents often have to try many to get good results. They are discussed fairly often here. Emily tried several of the supplements already that are designed to help with gain. She especially loves Scandishakes, but they end up replacing food in her diet, not supplementing it... nighttime calories will be better for her we think. She's a great eater and I want to keep it that way. She loves fruit and vegetables and a wide range of healthy food. We don't want to lose that. I hope the g-tube helps her in gaining weight but allows her to continue to be a healthy eater as she's always been.

I know the original poster has been through a tremendous amount in trying to help her daughter; trying all kinds of approaches to eating- gone to really extreme lengths trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with her. The ng tube has been the first thing that's resulted in weight gain in a very long time.

hmw

<br />
<br />I know the original poster has been through a tremendous amount in trying to help her daughter; trying all kinds of approaches to eating- gone to really extreme lengths trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with her. The ng tube has been the first thing that's resulted in weight gain in a very long time.