How does Genetically Handicapped Persons Program work?

BSJCA

This question is for any Californians who have or had GHPP and Medicare. I have Medicare Part A & Part B and am still in the process of choosing a medi-gap provider to cover the other 20% that B doesn't cover. But that still doesn't give me drug coverage. I see on GHPP's website that they don't cover the "donut hole" in Medicare part D (drug coverage). I don't think I'm going to get Part D. My question is: Will GHPP pay for the drugs that doctors prescribe who are being paid by Medicare? GHPP is the payer of last resort so they wouldn't pay anything that was covered by my Medicare plans.

When I called GHPP with questions the women had one stock answer for everything I asked, "We pay for what ever is medically necessary". But they don't cover the "donut hole" even though those drugs are medically necessary (remember I got that from the website). When I asked her about the donut hole she had never heard of it, so I don't really think she know their program.

Can anyone help me on this one.

Barbara

BSJCA

This question is for any Californians who have or had GHPP and Medicare. I have Medicare Part A & Part B and am still in the process of choosing a medi-gap provider to cover the other 20% that B doesn't cover. But that still doesn't give me drug coverage. I see on GHPP's website that they don't cover the "donut hole" in Medicare part D (drug coverage). I don't think I'm going to get Part D. My question is: Will GHPP pay for the drugs that doctors prescribe who are being paid by Medicare? GHPP is the payer of last resort so they wouldn't pay anything that was covered by my Medicare plans.

When I called GHPP with questions the women had one stock answer for everything I asked, "We pay for what ever is medically necessary". But they don't cover the "donut hole" even though those drugs are medically necessary (remember I got that from the website). When I asked her about the donut hole she had never heard of it, so I don't really think she know their program.

Barbara

BSJCA

Barbara

BSJCA

Barbara

BSJCA

<br />
<br />When I called GHPP with questions the women had one stock answer for everything I asked, "We pay for what ever is medically necessary". But they don't cover the "donut hole" even though those drugs are medically necessary (remember I got that from the website). When I asked her about the donut hole she had never heard of it, so I don't really think she know their program.
<br />
<br />Can anyone help me on this one.
<br />
<br />Barbara

beansmom

Barbara

I also live in California. My child does not qualify for CCS which is the kid version of GHPP, but interestingly she does qualify for GHPP. The GHPP program got really cut this year and covers very little right now. Basically it does not cover if you have another insurance that covers. So even if your Medicare covers one dollar, GHPP will not cover anything. For example our health insurance only covers $150 on our TOBI that leaves us with a remainder of $1200, but since our health insurance covered the $150 GHPP does not cover anything. They also will not cover copays or deductables. You also have to use a GHPP contracted provider and at least in our area they are impossible to find. GHPP also only covers CF related issues so you have to prove that everything is CF related. When I talk to GHPP they really do not seem to understand the way the program works either. Good LUCK!

beansmom

Barbara

I also live in California. My child does not qualify for CCS which is the kid version of GHPP, but interestingly she does qualify for GHPP. The GHPP program got really cut this year and covers very little right now. Basically it does not cover if you have another insurance that covers. So even if your Medicare covers one dollar, GHPP will not cover anything. For example our health insurance only covers $150 on our TOBI that leaves us with a remainder of $1200, but since our health insurance covered the $150 GHPP does not cover anything. They also will not cover copays or deductables. You also have to use a GHPP contracted provider and at least in our area they are impossible to find. GHPP also only covers CF related issues so you have to prove that everything is CF related. When I talk to GHPP they really do not seem to understand the way the program works either. Good LUCK!

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara
<br />
<br />I also live in California. My child does not qualify for CCS which is the kid version of GHPP, but interestingly she does qualify for GHPP. The GHPP program got really cut this year and covers very little right now. Basically it does not cover if you have another insurance that covers. So even if your Medicare covers one dollar, GHPP will not cover anything. For example our health insurance only covers $150 on our TOBI that leaves us with a remainder of $1200, but since our health insurance covered the $150 GHPP does not cover anything. They also will not cover copays or deductables. You also have to use a GHPP contracted provider and at least in our area they are impossible to find. GHPP also only covers CF related issues so you have to prove that everything is CF related. When I talk to GHPP they really do not seem to understand the way the program works either. Good LUCK!

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara

beansmom

Barbara
<br />
<br />I also live in California. My child does not qualify for CCS which is the kid version of GHPP, but interestingly she does qualify for GHPP. The GHPP program got really cut this year and covers very little right now. Basically it does not cover if you have another insurance that covers. So even if your Medicare covers one dollar, GHPP will not cover anything. For example our health insurance only covers $150 on our TOBI that leaves us with a remainder of $1200, but since our health insurance covered the $150 GHPP does not cover anything. They also will not cover copays or deductables. You also have to use a GHPP contracted provider and at least in our area they are impossible to find. GHPP also only covers CF related issues so you have to prove that everything is CF related. When I talk to GHPP they really do not seem to understand the way the program works either. Good LUCK!

Cerulean

I live in California too. I am currently through GHPP and I feel VERY lucky. I am currently unemployed and GHPP pays for everything. Thank god. I'd never be able to afford meds.

I also consider myself lucky in the way that I somewhat stumbled upon a provider. Stanford Hospital CF clinic takes it. I've been trying to find a PCP that does and have had little luck so far. It's difficult to find anyone that does. Even the regular clinic at Stanford doesn't take it. Go figure.

Strangely enough, the people at GHPP seem very understaffed. Often times my providers have a difficult time communicating with them. Once I had a provider ask me to contact them because they were having such a hard time. At times it seems that the workers themselves don't know what the program is.

I still am very confused. When I applied they sent me a MediCal card that I can't use because I don't have MediCal. Strange. I am not really sure how the two are related.

All that being said, I can't complain at all. The extra headache is definitely worth it. Beggers can't be choosers.

Cerulean

I live in California too. I am currently through GHPP and I feel VERY lucky. I am currently unemployed and GHPP pays for everything. Thank god. I'd never be able to afford meds.

I also consider myself lucky in the way that I somewhat stumbled upon a provider. Stanford Hospital CF clinic takes it. I've been trying to find a PCP that does and have had little luck so far. It's difficult to find anyone that does. Even the regular clinic at Stanford doesn't take it. Go figure.

Strangely enough, the people at GHPP seem very understaffed. Often times my providers have a difficult time communicating with them. Once I had a provider ask me to contact them because they were having such a hard time. At times it seems that the workers themselves don't know what the program is.

I still am very confused. When I applied they sent me a MediCal card that I can't use because I don't have MediCal. Strange. I am not really sure how the two are related.

All that being said, I can't complain at all. The extra headache is definitely worth it. Beggers can't be choosers.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Cerulean

<br />
<br />I also consider myself lucky in the way that I somewhat stumbled upon a provider. Stanford Hospital CF clinic takes it. I've been trying to find a PCP that does and have had little luck so far. It's difficult to find anyone that does. Even the regular clinic at Stanford doesn't take it. Go figure.
<br />
<br />Strangely enough, the people at GHPP seem very understaffed. Often times my providers have a difficult time communicating with them. Once I had a provider ask me to contact them because they were having such a hard time. At times it seems that the workers themselves don't know what the program is.
<br />
<br />I still am very confused. When I applied they sent me a MediCal card that I can't use because I don't have MediCal. Strange. I am not really sure how the two are related.
<br />
<br />All that being said, I can't complain at all. The extra headache is definitely worth it. Beggers can't be choosers.