How does Staph affect kids with CF?

acesspade

I am a father of two CF boys, 11 and 8. We just got test results showing that our 11 year old boy has a resistant Staph infection. Has anyone out there had any luck fighting the Staph, and what can we expect when it comes to its effects on our son? How has it affected your children or kids you know? Did it complicate things? My oldest son, Alex, has been pretty healthy. He also has the alcagines, and I don't know a lot about that either. Thanks for your help.

acesspade

I am a father of two CF boys, 11 and 8. We just got test results showing that our 11 year old boy has a resistant Staph infection. Has anyone out there had any luck fighting the Staph, and what can we expect when it comes to its effects on our son? How has it affected your children or kids you know? Did it complicate things? My oldest son, Alex, has been pretty healthy. He also has the alcagines, and I don't know a lot about that either. Thanks for your help.

acesspade

acesspade

acesspade

robert321

from what i've heard its not the most wonderful of things to have but i'm not sure, i'm still running around with just a basic non resistant psudomonus so i don't know

robert321

from what i've heard its not the most wonderful of things to have but i'm not sure, i'm still running around with just a basic non resistant psudomonus so i don't know

robert321

robert321

robert321

Alyssa

My daughter has treated for numerous staph infections, including one MRSA (Methicillin-resistant S. aureus) infection.

Our experience has been, she sees an increase in sputum, culture shows staph, she takes oral antibiotics for two weeks, she is back to normal with very little sputum and cough.

With many CFers once you get MRSA, you have a hard time completely eradicating it. Our nurse said my daughter was an exception to what they typically see, because she was able to get rid of the MRSA. The first and last time she cultured MRSA was about 5 years ago or more. Also, she hasn't had any infections in almost 2 years now.

I'm sorry I cannot remember what antibiotics we used to treat the MRSA, but I do know it was two different kind and they were both oral.

Generally speaking a staph infection for her means she has increased, ugly color sputum to cough up, and she feels more run down (makes sense... her body is busy fighting off an infection) but other than that she usually makes it through her normal daily stuff, she just doesn't do anything extra until she kicks it.

She has always treated with oral antibiotics for 14 days, but usually starts to feel better by day 3 or so.

Alyssa

My daughter has treated for numerous staph infections, including one MRSA (Methicillin-resistant S. aureus) infection.

Our experience has been, she sees an increase in sputum, culture shows staph, she takes oral antibiotics for two weeks, she is back to normal with very little sputum and cough.

With many CFers once you get MRSA, you have a hard time completely eradicating it. Our nurse said my daughter was an exception to what they typically see, because she was able to get rid of the MRSA. The first and last time she cultured MRSA was about 5 years ago or more. Also, she hasn't had any infections in almost 2 years now.

I'm sorry I cannot remember what antibiotics we used to treat the MRSA, but I do know it was two different kind and they were both oral.

Generally speaking a staph infection for her means she has increased, ugly color sputum to cough up, and she feels more run down (makes sense... her body is busy fighting off an infection) but other than that she usually makes it through her normal daily stuff, she just doesn't do anything extra until she kicks it.

She has always treated with oral antibiotics for 14 days, but usually starts to feel better by day 3 or so.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa