How far away from a transplant hospital will they let you live?

Asexyblond23

How far away can I live? Is 70 miles ok? Im sure I could get a medivac from the army base to the hospital but afterwards will they let me live 70 miles away to come for visits

R

RytheStunner

70 miles is fine. I think usually the maximum is 4 hours away, in which they usually have to medflight you if you're that far away. I live about 90 miles away from mine and I was transported via ambulance during my dry runs.

coltsfan715

It depends on center to center how far away they will let you live. As mentioned, you normally need to be able to get to the center within 4 hours of notification.

Also you are usually required to stay in the city or near your center for 3-4 months post transplant and that is assuming that you have a relatively problem free recovery. The more "bumps" you have the more likely it is that you will be asked to stay longer than a few months. Those are really questions for the specific transplant center you choose to go to, they may have requirements that are specific to that center.

Lindsey

PinkPigg

Pre and post surgery most centers require that you attend their pulmonary rehab program. At Duke rehab is five days a week. So it might make sense to relocate closer for a few months depending on how often you will need to visit the center pre and post transplant.

Steph

azdesertrat

I live 125 mi. from my trans clinic.
There is another double-lung trans patient living in this town who had his done at San Diego ST. and that is around 430 mi. from where he lives.
I think it kinda depends on the individual. You should be just 'ducky' at 70 mi.
Best of luck; if there is any way I can help just say the word. I'm easy to get in touch with; just use this site!
Take care, 'Pat'.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
It depends on center to center how far away they will let you live. As mentioned, you normally need to be able to get to the center within 4 hours of notification.

Also you are usually required to stay in the city or near your center for 3-4 months post transplant and that is assuming that you have a relatively problem free recovery. The more "bumps" you have the more likely it is that you will be asked to stay longer than a few months. Those are really questions for the specific transplant center you choose to go to, they may have requirements that are specific to that center.

Lindsey

I agree with everything Lindsey has stated.

I live 5 hours away from my center. (Pittsburgh) The time I was called we drove to my hospital (Cincinnati) and then an ambulance drove me to an airport that I believe is for medical emergency's only. The airplane was very small. I think we got to Pittsburgh within an hour.

My own CF center where I live highly recommended a transplant center in St. Louis which was way too far. We could not afford to move somewhere even temporarily.

Robert-Gibson

How is it after surgery? Did they let you go house, or did you have to remain in a position nearer for several weeks afterwards?