How is Hypertonic Saline Dispensed?

anonymous

I was just wondering how those of you who are on HPT get it. My doc said distilled water at the stores is the same - um, how do I get that and is that sterile to inhale!!??!! So I am just curious how you all recieve it. I have asked to start it and was given the thumbs up, but even they are unsure of how it will be dispensed. Help!!??

Sarah 27 w/cf

AimeeSue82

Hi Sarah-
I use 3% HTS (meaning, 3% salt). Normal saline is something like .9% salt. Distilled water I think is even less than that. Don't use the water expecting to get the same results as HTS. I've been told that 3% is the strongest you can get via perscription to use at home. When I'm in the hospital they give me 6%, 9%, and 10%. I only get those amounts at the hospital because it has to be mixed in the pharmacy. I've been told it can't be packaged to be given for home use. As for the 3%, mine comes in a 15 mL, twist off toped tube...much like Pulmozyme or TOBI vials. I'd ask your doctor again about HTS because it's definately the same as distilled water.

Hope that helped!
-Aimee/22/Colorado

anonymous

You can get it up to 10% from your pharmacy, but they will have to mix it for you. Distilled water IS NOT the same as saline and may not have the same effect.

anonymous

I got my vials today, big buggers. How much do you inhale at a time? They say a vial a day, I am not quite sure how to break that down.

Sarah
27 w/cf

anonymous

I imagine you've figured out what works for you by now. Here's what I do although I'd check with your doc . . .

It takes me 15 minutes to inhale 5 cc's. But if I'm still "raising" I do another 5 or 10 cc's untill I have no more to cauph up.

Jason 30 w/cf

JennaB

This may be a dumb question, but how can this help cough anything up? What about it makes you cough?? It's weird, because only TOBI really gets anything out of me, and we aren't even supposed to cough while breathing TOBI. But that's what does it for me. Albuterol opens me up, but does not make me cough.