How is your relationship with your spouse/significant other?

MargaritaChic

I am curious how your relationship has changed since your child was diagnosed with CF.

Was it better before CF or after?
How has it changed?
What (if anything) do you do to keep your relationship strong?

I have to admit that I have been concerned that CF would kill our marriage. Since the day we got married we have had some rocky moments. Many lost jobs, money issues, trust issues have all been things we have dealt with.

In our first year of marriage I was not sure that we would stay married. But we worked though so many things and our love blossomed and I could no longer imagine my life without him.

So we decided to bring a life into the world. A baby that was part of both of us. It took many months to get pregnant, but it happened and we were SO HAPPY.

But when we found out about the CF I was not sure how we would handle it. How he would handle it. How I would handle it.

But I have been AMAZED. Our relationship has become closer. We are more open with one another about our feelings. We share the care of her equally.

I wish we had more time together. I wish we could spend an hour or 2 alone. Other than that I can't really complain.

He is an AMAZING father. Emma's face lights up when she sees him.

I guess I am just curious about how it has affected everyone else. I could so easily imagine things being much different. I can totally understand that the stress of CF could be too much on a marriage. I worried it would be for mine.

MargaritaChic

I am curious how your relationship has changed since your child was diagnosed with CF.

How has it changed?

I have to admit that I have been concerned that CF would kill our marriage. Since the day we got married we have had some rocky moments. Many lost jobs, money issues, trust issues have all been things we have dealt with.

In our first year of marriage I was not sure that we would stay married. But we worked though so many things and our love blossomed and I could no longer imagine my life without him.

So we decided to bring a life into the world. A baby that was part of both of us. It took many months to get pregnant, but it happened and we were SO HAPPY.

But when we found out about the CF I was not sure how we would handle it. How he would handle it. How I would handle it.

But I have been AMAZED. Our relationship has become closer. We are more open with one another about our feelings. We share the care of her equally.

I wish we had more time together. I wish we could spend an hour or 2 alone. Other than that I can't really complain.

I guess I am just curious about how it has affected everyone else. I could so easily imagine things being much different. I can totally understand that the stress of CF could be too much on a marriage. I worried it would be for mine.

MargaritaChic

How has it changed?

MargaritaChic

How has it changed?

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />Was it better before CF or after?
<br />How has it changed?
<br />What (if anything) do you do to keep your relationship strong?
<br />
<br />I have to admit that I have been concerned that CF would kill our marriage. Since the day we got married we have had some rocky moments. Many lost jobs, money issues, trust issues have all been things we have dealt with.
<br />
<br />In our first year of marriage I was not sure that we would stay married. But we worked though so many things and our love blossomed and I could no longer imagine my life without him.
<br />
<br />So we decided to bring a life into the world. A baby that was part of both of us. It took many months to get pregnant, but it happened and we were SO HAPPY.
<br />
<br />But when we found out about the CF I was not sure how we would handle it. How he would handle it. How I would handle it.
<br />
<br />But I have been AMAZED. Our relationship has become closer. We are more open with one another about our feelings. We share the care of her equally.
<br />
<br />I wish we had more time together. I wish we could spend an hour or 2 alone. Other than that I can't really complain.
<br />
<br />He is an AMAZING father. Emma's face lights up when she sees him.
<br />
<br />I guess I am just curious about how it has affected everyone else. I could so easily imagine things being much different. I can totally understand that the stress of CF could be too much on a marriage. I worried it would be for mine.

M

Mommafirst

Having children with my husband made me realize what an amazing man he is 100 times over. As far as CF goes, its driving me crazy but in general, has helped me to see the continued strength of my partner and my marriage. I honestly don't think I could deal with this without him. He's my rock.

M

Mommafirst

Having children with my husband made me realize what an amazing man he is 100 times over. As far as CF goes, its driving me crazy but in general, has helped me to see the continued strength of my partner and my marriage. I honestly don't think I could deal with this without him. He's my rock.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, earlier tonight -- ready to STRANGLE him. After work, preschool he and DS play video games while doing nebs/vest, while I fix dinner, get meds ready for the next day. I called downstairs when the vest stopped to see if he needed me to get the neb with tobi ready. Nope he took care of it -- find out 45 minutes later that he hooked up the neb, but didn't add the tobi. Grrrrr!

It was an adjustment -- getting into a routine. I used to pride myself on being so organized, now I sometimes feel as if I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I get frustrated with not getting things done the way I used to -- cleaning, gardening, errands. Somedays I felt like I didn't even have a minute so sit down and take a pee. And it seemed as if DH's life hadn't changed much -- he still seemed to be able to have time for socializing, computer games...

I tend to be a worrier, DH tends to be more laid back -- tends to counteract my stressing out by being calm. And I have learned not to stress out about silly things.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, earlier tonight -- ready to STRANGLE him. After work, preschool he and DS play video games while doing nebs/vest, while I fix dinner, get meds ready for the next day. I called downstairs when the vest stopped to see if he needed me to get the neb with tobi ready. Nope he took care of it -- find out 45 minutes later that he hooked up the neb, but didn't add the tobi. Grrrrr!

It was an adjustment -- getting into a routine. I used to pride myself on being so organized, now I sometimes feel as if I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I get frustrated with not getting things done the way I used to -- cleaning, gardening, errands. Somedays I felt like I didn't even have a minute so sit down and take a pee. And it seemed as if DH's life hadn't changed much -- he still seemed to be able to have time for socializing, computer games...

I tend to be a worrier, DH tends to be more laid back -- tends to counteract my stressing out by being calm. And I have learned not to stress out about silly things.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />It was an adjustment -- getting into a routine. I used to pride myself on being so organized, now I sometimes feel as if I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I get frustrated with not getting things done the way I used to -- cleaning, gardening, errands. Somedays I felt like I didn't even have a minute so sit down and take a pee. And it seemed as if DH's life hadn't changed much -- he still seemed to be able to have time for socializing, computer games...
<br />
<br />I tend to be a worrier, DH tends to be more laid back -- tends to counteract my stressing out by being calm. And I have learned not to stress out about silly things.

izemmom

When I think back to the day that Emily was transferred from our local hospital to Children's hospital (she was 4 days old) one thing sticks out more than the rest. As we followed the ambulance, I looked at my husband and said, "I don't know if we have the skills to deal with this." I wasn't talking about the medical stuff or caring for Emily - we didnt' have a dx yet, so I had no idea. What worried me was, "Will we be able to communicate well enough to get through this? If I need to cry and cry for days will he be ok with that? Will he tell me if he needs to cry? Do we love each other enought to stick it out?" I think about it now and it makes me naseous. I was terrified that we couldn't handle it.

LIke Liza said, you get in to a routine. You adjust. You learn. We hit some rough patches after Emily was born, mostly over finances which are REALLY strained and likely will always be. But, we learned to love each other through those patches. We still don't communicate as well as I'd like, but we also don't brush stuff under the rug or let stuff fester like we used to. We bicker, but we don't really fight. We thank each other more.

At a family gathering over Christmas, we were rushing around trying to get eveything ready (my family showed up more than an hour EARLY!!!! UUUGGGHHHH!!!!) and we were basially finishing each o ther's sentences and picking up a job where the other had left off. My SIL casually remearked "You guys make a good team." And I realized then how true that was. My husband laughed and said, "Yeah, well, we kind of have to, to get everything done every day."

It was a quiet little affirmation that he saw me as an equal, a valuable part of his team, a "mate"...that's something that I used to worry about. I felt really loved and really lucky in that moment.

So, long story short (although it's already long) CF has, in it's own way, made us stronger and more able to trust in each other. It has forced us to communicate.

It's not all bad!

Liza...my husband has done the neb with no med thing a couple of times, too! Uuuuuuuggghhhh!

izemmom

When I think back to the day that Emily was transferred from our local hospital to Children's hospital (she was 4 days old) one thing sticks out more than the rest. As we followed the ambulance, I looked at my husband and said, "I don't know if we have the skills to deal with this." I wasn't talking about the medical stuff or caring for Emily - we didnt' have a dx yet, so I had no idea. What worried me was, "Will we be able to communicate well enough to get through this? If I need to cry and cry for days will he be ok with that? Will he tell me if he needs to cry? Do we love each other enought to stick it out?" I think about it now and it makes me naseous. I was terrified that we couldn't handle it.

LIke Liza said, you get in to a routine. You adjust. You learn. We hit some rough patches after Emily was born, mostly over finances which are REALLY strained and likely will always be. But, we learned to love each other through those patches. We still don't communicate as well as I'd like, but we also don't brush stuff under the rug or let stuff fester like we used to. We bicker, but we don't really fight. We thank each other more.

At a family gathering over Christmas, we were rushing around trying to get eveything ready (my family showed up more than an hour EARLY!!!! UUUGGGHHHH!!!!) and we were basially finishing each o ther's sentences and picking up a job where the other had left off. My SIL casually remearked "You guys make a good team." And I realized then how true that was. My husband laughed and said, "Yeah, well, we kind of have to, to get everything done every day."

It was a quiet little affirmation that he saw me as an equal, a valuable part of his team, a "mate"...that's something that I used to worry about. I felt really loved and really lucky in that moment.

So, long story short (although it's already long) CF has, in it's own way, made us stronger and more able to trust in each other. It has forced us to communicate.

It's not all bad!

Liza...my husband has done the neb with no med thing a couple of times, too! Uuuuuuuggghhhh!

izemmom

It's not all bad!

izemmom

It's not all bad!

izemmom

<br />
<br />LIke Liza said, you get in to a routine. You adjust. You learn. We hit some rough patches after Emily was born, mostly over finances which are REALLY strained and likely will always be. But, we learned to love each other through those patches. We still don't communicate as well as I'd like, but we also don't brush stuff under the rug or let stuff fester like we used to. We bicker, but we don't really fight. We thank each other more.
<br />
<br />At a family gathering over Christmas, we were rushing around trying to get eveything ready (my family showed up more than an hour EARLY!!!! UUUGGGHHHH!!!!) and we were basially finishing each o ther's sentences and picking up a job where the other had left off. My SIL casually remearked "You guys make a good team." And I realized then how true that was. My husband laughed and said, "Yeah, well, we kind of have to, to get everything done every day."
<br />
<br />It was a quiet little affirmation that he saw me as an equal, a valuable part of his team, a "mate"...that's something that I used to worry about. I felt really loved and really lucky in that moment.
<br />
<br />So, long story short (although it's already long) CF has, in it's own way, made us stronger and more able to trust in each other. It has forced us to communicate.
<br />
<br />It's not all bad!
<br />
<br />Liza...my husband has done the neb with no med thing a couple of times, too! Uuuuuuuggghhhh!