How long did it take to get approved for the vest?

Lilliansmom

Our CF clinic put the request into insurance about a month ago. I was just wondering how long it took for most people to hear back?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a month or so. Once the doctor called in the prescription, we got initial contact from the vest company, who warned us that usually it's denied by insurance initially and they'd request more info. Sure enough, the vest company called with questions from BCBS regarding hospitalizations, tobi, pseudomonas. The vest was shiipped but there were still questions regarding how much we'd have to pay. I had friends who had to lease it for a year, others who had to pay 20% copay. Throughout the time we'd get calls from the vest company asking # of hours on the machine. I believe after about 6 months, we got a letter indicating we were responsible for a couple hundred $ out of pocket and it was ours.

4hats

From when my doctor put in the prescription I actually received it 5 weeks later. A nurse came by that same evening to show me how to use it. However, a couple of days after my doctor's office had sent in the prescription the vest manufacturer called me so I knew it was in the works. If you haven't heard from the vest company yet I would inquire on the status. I hope you get it soon.

Lilliansmom

Thanks. Hill Rom called yesterday, and they are delivering them on Friday, but insurance has not approved it yet. She told me that they can always come back and get it if insurance won't cover it, but fingers are crossed that they will. Since the kids just have a CRMS dx, I am not sure.

kitomd21

Never was approved by insurance...actually, I think they covered around $1000. But - better than nothing! Crazy.