How long for culture results?

mysticrose

My DD had a broncoscopy last Tuesday on the 15th. The CF doc said it could take 2 weeks to get results on some of the tests they were running. Today on the 21st the CF nurse called saying the results were in and she "only cultured staph and Stenotrophomonas". When I asked her about the other tests that he said would take longer to get in she replied with "huh guess we got them early".
The Dr. claimed they were running tests for everything. Is it possible to speed up the results?

How do we fight Stenotrophomonas?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Jen mom to 4 kiddos. 3 w/cf and 1 lucky redhead.

hi - culture usually takes about 7 days - but if there is ex. no growth of bacteria - even 3 days. But if you got something more then staph and the other - they would be chequing for how it's resistant or not to antibiotics and that would take another 7 days. So its good news for you :) - meaning that the bacteria are not resistant to antibiotics.You should get info about this as it's very important information for future antibiotics treatments.
I have no idea about treating the other except that it may as well come from the envirment as well as hospital gear :( i would ask about this culture your cf doc - not nurse! and ask what to do
staph is usually not treated
my daughter gets it after infections and gets rid of with no antibiotics. Hoewever if you have an infection going on taht needs antibiotics they should also give you an antibiotic which will also get rid of staph.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a report from the lab that shows what the bugs are sensitive to -- DS has cultured Steno. Malt. and it's resistant to Ceftaz (sp), but sensitive to septra, which he was put on orally. I get frustrated with our clinic as well -- we'll get a call back from the nurse saying the results are fine, so I've taken to requesting copies of the reports myself so I can see exactly what's going on.