How many adult CFers work from home?

keefer11

How many Adult CFers work from home & if so, what do you do?

I'm really tired of picking up colds from my coworkers who come to work sick & giving me horrible colds that lead to lung exacerbations. I just don't understand why people feel the need to come to work & spread their germs everywhere?

I'd really like to avoid colds as much as possible & one way to do that is work from home, so tell me if you do what do you do? Just want to gather ideas.

Thanks!

dbtoo2

I've worked from home for the last several years. I am a database administrator.

Don't fall for those ' work from home, make a 1000 bucks a week' opportunities. Those suck you in, pretty much make you 'pay a fee' to learn what to do, and most of the time it's 'take out an add to tell people they can work from home and make 1000 bucks a week!'

Bona fide telecommuting takes a whole lot of discipline to actually 'be at work doing work'. Lot's of people think it's easy, but you have to be able to put off the distractions that come from every day life, especially if there are household members in the home all day.

Unless you plan on becoming agoraphobic and never leave home, i get most of my colds when i go to the grocery store or the mall.

AnnSJ

I work mostly from home, it's not a bad gig if you can deal with the potential for isolation - focusing isn't the hard part for me, but it is a challenge being out of the office loop sometimes. Still, it's a big improvement on going in every day for a 9-5. I tend to work in the morning, exercise midday and then work more in the afternoon/early evening. I am markedly less sick than I was last year when I was in the office full time, but that could be due to a lot of things.

bigstar

I would like to work from home but its difficult to me! Im an English teacher and i am always worried that im gonna catch something from the kids. Im currently starting to pursue a career as a translator but its hard getting a job!

MichaelL

I was primarily working from home until I went on disability last year. I work for a consulting firm as part of a global team where a lot of our work was in small teams or by conference calls. It can be lonely at times.

I think a lot of companies would want you to work in an office setting and get to know your colleagues before letting you telecommute.

The people I work with know I have CF and most try to avoid me in they're in the office sick. I also found frequent hand washing and keeping hand sanitizer on my desk to use regularly did help cut down on catching colds.

bloggymom

I don't "work" from home but I am housebound.

I have a super touchy immune system so I stay at home as much as I can. I keep VERY busy. I homeschool my son, quilt, hand stitch, knit and cook/bake. I am going to be doing some work for my Hubby's business after the first of the year.

Melissa75

Administrator
I work from home as a fiction editor and nonfiction writer. I have kids though and get plenty of viruses from them.