How often do you boil your ned cups

anonymous

We use each neb cup (Pari LC) just once per day for our son and keep about 5 or 6 of them on hand. For washing we soak them in soapy water with bleach. I rinse them with tap water, but it sounds like I'll want to change to boiled water. After rinsing, they immediately go into a steam sterilizer in the microwave for 4 minutes. After that we shake out the water drops. During the dry season they air dry within a few minutes. During the humid season they have to be wiped out with a papertowel. I stick with the microwave because I read a study done for hospital lab purposes that tested a bunch of sterilizing methods and found that Psuedomonas A. could only survive microwaving for about a minute or so.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wash out the neb cups once a day in hot soapy water, rinse and then boil for 10 minuts. They're the pari ones. In between treatments, I rinse them out in very hot water for several minutes and let them dry in a baby bottle drying rack.

Someone once mentioned drying neb cups in the microwave after washing and sterilizing them, but I've never tried it. Think it was a matter of putting them in the microwave for a few seconds to get rid of the water droplets instead of letting them air dry...

rcq925

Can you use the Pari for everything instead of using the disposable ones? I think it is just really hard to get those clean.

Personally, Hayley is on Xopenex and Pulmicort. Xopenex is 3-4 times per day and Pulmicort, 2 times per day, so we do a lot of nebs. We have 2 at a time. We use one for Xopenex and one for the Pulmicort. We wash them with hot soapy water after each use and then boil them for a full ten minutes each time, then air dry. It really is not that much work after you get into the routine of doing it and I think it just makes me feel better that I know they are clean. We usually replace ours about every 3 months.

The absolute cheapest place to get them is CF Services Pharmacy. You do need a precription, but your clinic can just call it in. THe Pari LC nebs are only $11 and the Bubbles mask is only $1!! And it's free shipping!