How often do you get IV antibotics?

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My son Josh didn't have IVs until he was nine, then both boys went once a year. Since this bacteria has been present, they've been scheduled for three times a year. Josh, being sick twice since February has been in more often.

Diane

I didnt start going on iv's till i got b.cepacia when i was 32 . It varies from time to time how often i go on iv's. In the begining it was every 6 months, then i went 2 years without needing one. Then it was back to every 6-8 months. Now last year i had an iv 3 times in 6 months. I just had a bad spell in my health, and i hope to never repeat that again. I just got off of an iv last month after 8 months of being "left alone" .

JazzysMom

To be honest I should have been on them a lot more than I had been. Many, many times over the years I didnt contact the doctor when things were bad & managed to pull myself out of trouble with oral antibiotics that I always had on hand & pure luck. I averaged 5 years until I turned 30. Then it went to every 3 years then down to 18 months & now I am at yearly. A lot of it is the weather or it has been the last 2 years. So now when Springtime comes I will be extra diligent & hopefully avoid admissions or need for home iv's. Its frustrating when you do things you are suppose to & get no where fast. Its also very hard when they are little. You arent completely sure of whats going on inside since they are still learning their communication skills!

D

Dino

My daughter is 10, and hasn't had an iv in 2 yrs. Do you think tune-ups are something they sould have at least once a year? Or do you think it is better to stay out of the hospital if at all possible?

anonymous

My son is 9 and has never been on IV antibiotics or had a tune up. Not really even sure what that is.?? He is on oral antibiotics maybe 1-3 times a year - when he starts to get a cold or cough. He has only been in the hospital at 8weeks and 6 months before diagnosis. (he had rsv and bronchitis) So far I feel very fortunate. He had a baseball game last night and hit that ball way outfield twice - for a homerun!! I'm sooo proud of him - he stays VERY active!! I guess I enjoy every minute now - because I don't know what the future will bring our way!!

Mother of 9 yr old w cf
12 yr old girl no cf

thelizardqueen

My first IV was when I was 15 and I was in for 1.5 weeks for mucus plugs, not an active chest infection. My second IV was last month (after about 10 years!) again for mucus plugs, but I was in for the full two weeks.

As for tuneups, I don't agree that you should do them unless you need them. You don't want to become resistant to those drugs. What happens when you get really sick later on in life and you can't use a lot of IVs because you went on them to "prevent" infection?

anonymous

My son will be 4 in August and was diagnosed at 10 months. He has been on IV's 4 times. He has not had any for the last year though, so he had a very rough two years in there where it was about every 6 months due to lung issues. He's been healthy for this past year and I'm hoping for this good streak to continue.

Mom to 3 1/2 yr old son w/cf

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Dino</b></i>

My daughter is 10, and hasn't had an iv in 2 yrs. Do you think tune-ups are something they sould have at least once a year? Or do you think it is better to stay out of the hospital if at all possible?</end quote></div>

I personally dont believe in tune ups. I did them a few times when I was younger (twenties) & still ended up in the hospital. It seemed to be a waste of time & $$ for ME! This was also before my awareness of becoming resistant to meds. That is my biggest concern. New antibiotics are coming our fast enough to become resistant especially if you have pseudomonas, cepacia or MRSA!

D

Dino

I know one time my daughter when in the hospital for a tune-up and ended up getting a staph infection. I didn't think she would ever get well, it took along time. Now if at all possible we try to have pic-lines put in, and then she can do home health care.

Sid

Hmm, what's the usual determining factor of when you can't do home IVs? I had my 1st one at 17, and have done home IVs about every year since. (I'm 22.) Definitely don't do them when I don't have to... I hate missing work. My sister has CF, she's 11, and she's had them once after sinus surgery, if I'm remembering correctly.

Giggles

Growing up my parents would not put me into the hospital until they did everything that they possibly can to get me better at home. So I would go weeks with coughing my head off, oral antibiotics etc. Now as an adult I have just started admitting myself in the Fall to get the "tune up" before the winter months when all the bad viruses are out! I started this in 2004 and have been able to do it once a year and I find it works out much better. I find it easier to get back to my baseline and also easier to get thru the IV drugs etc when I am not knocking on death's door so to speak. So, for me I go in FOR SURE once a year in the fall. I have to admit by November I am ready for a clean out. I have managed to only have to do this once a year, although back in 2003 I was in twice in a 3 month period and in 2005 of May I was "hospital" sick but managed to get back to my baseline with oral drugs etc. I HATE the hospital!!! It is like it brings back all the memories when I was a kid and it is like I turn into a kid again, I know weird! But I have grown up going into the hospital, unfortunately it is second nature and I have been going to the same one since I was 5. But, now I am obviously on the adult floor and the atmosphere is a bit different. Although, because I am a regular there are quite a few nurses and pt people that I know.

Jennifer 34 Years old with CF and CFRD

anonymous

Sami is 3 1/2 and has had five rounds of IV's. Usually during the early fall and early spring. Her asthma also kicks in about those times of the years to further complicate things!!

She just finished 2 1/2 wks. of IV's in May and was doing well until a week ago when she caught a cold, now the cough is slowly increasing.

Maria (mom to three daughters, the youngest, Samantha w/cf)

JennifersHope

When I was first born I was on antibiotic IVs on and off for the first few years, but I wasn't dx yet, most of my teens I was on oral antibiotics pretty much from October to May, on and off. I did my first IVs for my lungs starting in my 20s and it was sporadic.

The past few years I have been on IVs on average about every three months, I was just in the hospital three weeks ago for non cf reasons and they gave me some IV antibiotic then just because it was so close to when I am due for them. Actually before three weeks ago, I almost made it five months this time.

Jennifer

NoExcuses

Once when I was 9 (I developed bad allergies to my cats and the horses I was riding), once when I was 16, once when I was 19, again at 23, and then at 24.

So that's a total of 5 times.

None of them were for anything serious, except for when I was 9. All others were just precautionary.

I thihnk this why my FEV1's are at 99%. Although I never really got sick, my doc made sure to keep bacteria levels low with occational IV's.

I could have very easily only been in the hospital once at age 9.... but then I bet my FEV1's would be down in the 70s or 60s.

ladybug

I went on my first round of IVs when I was about 10. Then, at 15, and then about every year or so since. Only one time was I really really sick. Otherwise, usually just not feeling my perky self and for precautionary measures. I've since stopped going in "just because" its been a year, due to feeling worried about resistance. So, now I go about every year to year and a half when I start feeling "gunky".

letsrockcfem

My first round of IV antibiotics was when I was in 7th grade (13?)..since then I have gone in 2-4 times a year but in the past two years I have manged to keep it to 1-2 times. My PFT's go down, I cough a ton more, more mucus comes up and I know its time to get tuned up. I'm surrounded by the best staff and the most positive family and friends. I am convinced that my good health and getting better is combination of antibiotics and the support I get at home and my 2nd home.
ROCK CF

L

luke

I was first admitted for IV therapy when I was 13. For the next 15 years I was on and off about about every year to a year and a half. I now seem do be on them every 8 months or so. I believe in aggressively treating my disease...as soon as I notice a difference or a negative drop in my PFT's I start some sort of antibiotic therapy.

Luke, 30 /cf....now on IV's(17 days to go!)