How to help someone who wont help themselfs

Dreamerboi

I thought I would take a chance and write here looking for some advice. I have a younger sister who has Cystic Fibrosis and Diabeties. She is my best friend, and we have been through so much together. Two years ago she had a little girl, a miracle kid. Right now my sister is married to a man that doesnt understand anything about CF and wouldnt quit smoking inside, or around her and their kid. She has left that state and moved here with me, Im taking care of everything I can. Im handling things with her kid, feeding, getting ready for bed, playing with her, watching her. Im also handling work full time and school. Aramay my niece means the world to me so its not a burden. What is hard is that because of husband refused to get insurance after he got out of the Marines she hasnt had meds in a year. She has had insulin and needles for her diabeties but not a single CF medication. When she moved out here her husband decided to stay back in Oregon (3k) miles away and stay in school. He has no responsbility of her or his kid now except less than a 100 dollars he sends a week (or he has me cover). She will not leave him, she loves him. She will not divorce him even for medicad or insurance. She will not ask for more money because she belives him when he says he doesnt have it. She will not push harder to get meds, or help for her. I feel like Im at a brick wall. My family is just a mess over this, and are trusting me to keep everyone together. I dont know how to help someone who wont help themselves. Its like shes stuck in denial. Has anyone delt with this before, or have any advice. Please?
Dev

Beccamom

Sorry I don't have advice, but I want to praise your effort. I hope I raise my children to care for each other as much as you care for your sister.

Mistyjo

I've tried to desperately to help my brothers. They don't have cf but a different medical problem. What it comes down to is you can't force anyone to help themselves. The only thing you can do is make sure she understands the impact this will have on her child. Tell her she needs to fight for her daughter. The rest is up to her. Hang in there! This is very hard!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dev,

I am so sorry. You must be so frustrated, scared, and even angry. Two things I would recommend are: 1) see if you can have your sister talk to the social worker about state supplemental insurance. If she doesn't have insurance, the state often has special plans for those with CF. Also many drug companies have assistance. Even if she is not divorced, she should be able to get some help that way and thus meds. 2) I strongly recommend you get and read this book ASAP: http://specialchildren.about.com/od/booksonillness/gr/parentinghealth.htm. It is Love & Logic Parenting Children with Special Health Issues. I read for our son (who has CF), but after reading thought "I wish I had read that before when my younger brother was facing his own medical/lifestyle issues." I had gone about it soooo wrong and had I followed a similar approach for my brother it would have helped him more and also improved our relationship. Please, please, please, try to get a copy and read it--I can see so much of it applying to your situation, not in the "consequences" for kids that parents use, but in the asking of questions, "we should plan for how you want me to care for your child?" "Or have you thought about whether Husband will be able to care for him if you die?" And the responding to things that husband does: "I'm so sorry that X did Y. That must be very hard."

you can't change people. Only God can. there are things to do like prayer, direct them to professional help like counselors, lawyers, and give them good reliable information and numbers to get help.
tough love and give advice in a loving positive way is the best way.
i have a person who had trouble with drugs and alcohol. so i say this. don't become an enabler to anyone despite how much you love the person and how guilty you feel by not helping a person. be there for the person by telling them you love them. you can help to a certain extent but you need to put boundries in any relationship. sometimes a person needs to deal with the problem head on and let everything go to heck before they get their wake up call.

dflad69

Go online to the Cystic fibrosis site : http://www.cff.org/, and go to the CF treatments and then the pharamcy section. Call the number and ask about all the programs there are to get the meds for free or lost cost.When my son was diagnoised the clinic told us to get his scripts there because if he ever lost his health ins they will give him his meds no matter what. They also have a payment plan if you have to pay anything. They know all the programs to get the meds free if possible. Also have her apply for SSI/SSD. Good luck!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Well, I certainly can tell you what not to do. Remember Shell Silverstein’s “The Giving Tree”? If you haven’t, don’t worry, I will offer a paraphrase of the story. I have always considered myself to be terribly fortunate. I earned my first doctorate at 18 so I was lucky. I didn’t have to hang with the right people so I attended University for the social experience, still pursuing an engineering degree, sort of. My father died from CF during the summer of 1970. I had a good summer job with the State Government that was open as a permanent position so I was able to take care of my mother and sister. Indeed I was lucky. In a short year and a half they were on their own legs and I moved with my brother to another State and got jobs similar to what we already had. Things were slow to transition and I was lucky that I could pay my own way and have money for my mother and younger sister. I met a married a lady who loved the art of travel, so we traveled the world for the better part of a year. We had been working double jobs to save money so again we were very lucky.
Fast forward and my sister, seven years my junior was expecting a handout from our mom when she divorced and with a newborn in tow landed on my mother’s door. I ponied up the extra money but with the stress of her adult daughter, infant granddaughter and her mother going off the rails, she blew a heart valve, for real. In an instant my mother lost 65% of her heart function and she was a young woman! I flew back home, stuffed my grandmother in a nursing home and grabbed up my sister and kid to come live with my new wife and I. Man, were we lucky. If we lacked the resources, none of this would have been possible.
My sister suffered severe manic depressive disorder, or nicely sanitized bipolar I disorder. We divided our new house so that when the inevitable” when” came, they had half a house stocked and ready for them to move in. My sister’s Ex was obliged to pay a whopping $100/mo. This covered a little more than two weeks of daycare. Oh, and he was obliged to carry or supply insurance on his daughter. Missy, my sister, had about six months of employment before she flipped or flopped, depending which cycle she was in before and she would show up with her phone turned off, the utilities were in arrears, and her damage deposit, which I paid down, was gone. Run this cycle through the adulthood of her daughter and then Missy and her daughter both show up at the door car loads of crap and both preggers. This one time, I realized that they were far more marketable to Social Services pregnant, and homeless, which I dumped them off in front of a shelter with a suitcase each and left rubber.
Each and every cycle of Missy’s mental illness which is just a valid and lethal as CF, I felt fortunate that we had the resources to bring them in, provide an insured vehicle, pay out of pocket for Missy’s meds and her Psychiatrist or Psychologist.
The older daughter moved away with the father of her child. Missy, now with a new child started anew with the same old same old. There always were extenuating circumstances, first one child that together I needed to protect from my mother, for her health. I could go into details of her manias, which is where the big money went, but suffice it to say, mania can be more expensive than is easily understood.
I loved my sister and love both my Nieces, the younger we are now guardians for. In 2008, Missy died from an accidental overdose of prescription medication. Read between the lines here.
We, that is my wife and I, thought we were doing the best we could for Missy et. al. We are educated people and both of us have had graduate level psychology courses. And we were enablers of the worst possible kind. There was always a hook, sometimes there were many hooks that kept us supporting and supportive her entire lifetime. Only in retrospect do I realize the harm I have done.
I knew, from the moment Missy and baby were on the prowl that it was time to get an unlisted phone, change the door locks and close and reopen all of our checking and savings accounts so no trace of us could be exploited. You, my friend are squarely where I was at a point in your life. Your sister doesn’t want to make waves because she wants her daughter to know her father without any bitterness or low rent manipulation of her child. She isn’t willing to force the father in or out of the marriage, and take it from one who learned how rotten smoking in the car can be. I grew up in a time where people were deciding when to start smoking, not questioning whether or not it is a good idea. Both of our parents were smokers and my sister was the only child in the family who did smoke. It is a big issue and it is hard to quit smoking, but far from impossible.
This is so hard but if you really want the best for your sister, help her move out, change your locks and if and when she comes up with a cell phone on her own, take her call and congratulate her. If you have the resources, put money away for your Niece’s college fund, no meds no nothing. It is the kindest thing you will ever do in your life or hers.