Hurricane

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hope all of you on the East Coast stay safe during the hurricane.

Our town is on the South Shore of MA but our house is inland, so we should be ok. So far, we have power. Doesn't look good for the little house we rent in the summer though :(

triples15

Super Moderator
I was just thinking the same thing as I took my shower this morning! I hope everyone stays safe and has a back up plan for treatments etc. in case of a power outage! I can't imagine going without power for as long as some of the news networks are predicting. Ugh. :(

Take care everyone!! Thinking of you!

Autumn

Beccamom

Does anyone know about generators? I am probably going to lose power in this storm and want to get a generator before the winter storms hit. I see prices from $200 all the way to $4000. So what type do I need to run a refrigerator, freezer, space heater for one room, vest (2 if possible) and nebuilizer (2 if possible). I am noticing the power needed to run these things is much less than the power needed to turn them on after the power goes out.

How do you plug it all in? Do you have extension cords all over or do you try to move everything to the kitchen where the frig can't be moved from?

Any tips?

JORDYSMOM

David was asking me about you guys this morning, Jane. He thought you lived in that house on the beach. I told him you didn't, but were still in the path, and could lose power, etc. We're thinking of all of you guys up that way, and praying everyone stays safe. (L)

Stacey

TheDude92

Usually the more expensive generators are the more you can hook up more stuff up to it. It is messy but running extension cords are usually the way to hook it all up. Hope everyone is taking care out there on the east coast. Sending prayers from the heartland.

kiwilady

A big "hello" Jane from across the oceans. Thinking of you, and all those who have been in the eye of the devastating storm. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Eileen.

R

rb1973

Does anyone know about generators? I am probably going to lose power in this storm and want to get a generator before the winter storms hit. I see prices from $200 all the way to $4000. So what type do I need to run a refrigerator, freezer, space heater for one room, vest (2 if possible) and nebuilizer (2 if possible). I am noticing the power needed to run these things is much less than the power needed to turn them on after the power goes out.

How do you plug it all in? Do you have extension cords all over or do you try to move everything to the kitchen where the frig can't be moved from?

Any tips?

generators are rated on maximum watt capacity. Basically you need to know how many watts your appliances use. Watts = amps x volts. Some appliances list all three values on the UL decals. You are correct about start up needs being greater than running needs. It's applies to your fridge, freezer and sump pumps. Anything that is not energy star compliant will eat up more watts than rated continuously. Hair dryers, Space heaters, etc. are energy hogs. Their watt rating is what the device generates, not what it requires to run. It will require more power to run because they are not 100% energy efficient.
If the generator is not an inverter type, make sure you use surge protectors for electronic devices. Honda makes very good generators, both conventional and inverter type, but you will pay a premium for their quality. If you go to http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-power-management it lists a general amount of running and start up watts required by various household appliances. I have a 2000 watt Honda portable inverter generator and it can power my fridge/freezer, sump pump, and a few lights, one tv and cable box. If I am going to use the vest and neb, I unplug the sump pump or fridge. You just don't want to overload the generator if multiple high start up appliances try to kick on at the same time. The generator simply can't provide the required power and you risk damaging the appliance. I run heavy duty, outdoor rated, 1575 amp cords from the generator directly to the appliances and one to a power strip. Current capacity drops the longer the extension cord. You can't use a regular house hold extension cord for these appliances, that's a huge fire hazard.

I bought my generator last year during the power outage caused by Irene. I considered buying a 3000 watt inverter generator but did not want to spend $1000 more for 1000 more watts. Honda generators at Honda dealers were the only ones in stock, so I paid a premium for being unprepared. Was without power for 4 days, bought the generator, ran it for two hours and the power came back on. Go figure. You can get different brands rated for more power that cost less at Home Depot when they are in stock. I dont lose power often. Since Irene, I only lost power for 14 hrs due to Hurricane Sandy.

So if you don't want to be bothered with unplugging this to power that, you'd be safe with a 4000 watt generator. Otherwise you could get by with a 2000-3000 watt generator. As for safety, Generators must be run outdoors, away from windows. If possible they should be sheltered from the elements, but not enclosed. Hope this helps.

Ron. 39 w/CF
In NJ, cleaning up after Sandy.

Beccamom

generators are rated on maximum watt capacity. Basically you need to know how many watts your appliances use. Watts = amps x volts. Some appliances list all three values on the UL decals. You are correct about start up needs being greater than running needs. It's applies to your fridge, freezer and sump pumps. Anything that is not energy star compliant will eat up more watts than rated continuously. Hair dryers, Space heaters, etc. are energy hogs. Their watt rating is what the device generates, not what it requires to run. It will require more power to run because they are not 100% energy efficient.
If the generator is not an inverter type, make sure you use surge protectors for electronic devices. Honda makes very good generators, both conventional and inverter type, but you will pay a premium for their quality. If you go to http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-power-management it lists a general amount of running and start up watts required by various household appliances. I have a 2000 watt Honda portable inverter generator and it can power my fridge/freezer, sump pump, and a few lights, one tv and cable box. If I am going to use the vest and neb, I unplug the sump pump or fridge. You just don't want to overload the generator if multiple high start up appliances try to kick on at the same time. The generator simply can't provide the required power and you risk damaging the appliance. I run heavy duty, outdoor rated, 1575 amp cords from the generator directly to the appliances and one to a power strip. Current capacity drops the longer the extension cord. You can't use a regular house hold extension cord for these appliances, that's a huge fire hazard.

I bought my generator last year during the power outage caused by Irene. I considered buying a 3000 watt inverter generator but did not want to spend $1000 more for 1000 more watts. Honda generators at Honda dealers were the only ones in stock, so I paid a premium for being unprepared. Was without power for 4 days, bought the generator, ran it for two hours and the power came back on. Go figure. You can get different brands rated for more power that cost less at Home Depot when they are in stock. I dont lose power often. Since Irene, I only lost power for 14 hrs due to Hurricane Sandy.

So if you don't want to be bothered with unplugging this to power that, you'd be safe with a 4000 watt generator. Otherwise you could get by with a 2000-3000 watt generator. As for safety, Generators must be run outdoors, away from windows. If possible they should be sheltered from the elements, but not enclosed. Hope this helps.

Ron. 39 w/CF
In NJ, cleaning up after Sandy.

Thanks so much for the details this information was very helpful.