Husband is a carrier, I am not...should our son be tested?

AUradar

My sister-in-law and her husband got tested before having kids since our daughter has CF.

So far there is not indication that a carrier shows any symptoms. So there isn't any issues until having kids. Then the question is, does it matter? If both are carriers would they still have kids? Its good to know that kind of stuff to be prepared, but now you can do gentic testing while in the womb which is good to have regardless. So what's the best course of action?

No hurry, wait till it matters, IMHO

AUradar

My sister-in-law and her husband got tested before having kids since our daughter has CF.

So far there is not indication that a carrier shows any symptoms. So there isn't any issues until having kids. Then the question is, does it matter? If both are carriers would they still have kids? Its good to know that kind of stuff to be prepared, but now you can do gentic testing while in the womb which is good to have regardless. So what's the best course of action?

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

AUradar

Liza

Hi, I agree that it is not important to have him tested as a child to see if he is a carrier. BUT, he should be tested later on. He should know or be given the choice to know before he has children. As to when, it's completely up to you or him. I don't know if this kind of test is covered by insurance or not but that may be an issue you want to consider. Test him at some point while he is covered by your family ins. or wait and let him do it later when he's got his own. But certainly with him being 4 you have some years to wait and decide.

I do have to say though, you should teach him all about CF. Age appropriate of course. So as he's growing up he knows and is used to what his cousin has to do to keep healthy. This will open up dialog and increase his knowledge for when he's older so he can make an informed decision as to when and if he wants to get tested.

Liza

Hi, I agree that it is not important to have him tested as a child to see if he is a carrier. BUT, he should be tested later on. He should know or be given the choice to know before he has children. As to when, it's completely up to you or him. I don't know if this kind of test is covered by insurance or not but that may be an issue you want to consider. Test him at some point while he is covered by your family ins. or wait and let him do it later when he's got his own. But certainly with him being 4 you have some years to wait and decide.

I do have to say though, you should teach him all about CF. Age appropriate of course. So as he's growing up he knows and is used to what his cousin has to do to keep healthy. This will open up dialog and increase his knowledge for when he's older so he can make an informed decision as to when and if he wants to get tested.

Liza

Liza

Liza