Hypertonic Saline causing a deep wet cough

websterhome

Hello, my little girl is now 5 months & at her last CF appt we decided to begin hypertonic saline through a nebulizer as a prophylactic treatment even though she is asymptomatic (her lungs sound fantastic). We did the treatment about 5 minutes per day for 5 days & then noticed she had developed a deep wet cough. I called the CF doc & let them know... they had us stop for 2 days & see what happened -> the cough stopped - totally went away. So, for now we are not doing the hypertonic saline & will probably try it again when she's a bit older. Have any of you started it on kids this young? Any similar complications?

websterhome

Hello, my little girl is now 5 months & at her last CF appt we decided to begin hypertonic saline through a nebulizer as a prophylactic treatment even though she is asymptomatic (her lungs sound fantastic). We did the treatment about 5 minutes per day for 5 days & then noticed she had developed a deep wet cough. I called the CF doc & let them know... they had us stop for 2 days & see what happened -> the cough stopped - totally went away. So, for now we are not doing the hypertonic saline & will probably try it again when she's a bit older. Have any of you started it on kids this young? Any similar complications?

websterhome

websterhome

websterhome

M

Mommafirst

I haven't heard of starting it that young, at least not for a kiddo with no lung involvement yet. We haven't discussed it with the docs yet. My dd was on pulmozyme from 2 years old for about 8 months, but we stopped because we saw no difference and our doc felt we should put it on hold for a little bit.

M

Mommafirst

I haven't heard of starting it that young, at least not for a kiddo with no lung involvement yet. We haven't discussed it with the docs yet. My dd was on pulmozyme from 2 years old for about 8 months, but we stopped because we saw no difference and our doc felt we should put it on hold for a little bit.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

shimmereestar

We started HTS when DD was about 9 1/2 months old. When she's doing the treatment she coughs a twice during it, oce at the beginning and again towards the end, but afterwards she doesn't cough. She's really not a cougher unless she is culturing something or refluxing. She does it once a day (we do it during her morning treatment). She does have some lung involvement though.

shimmereestar

We started HTS when DD was about 9 1/2 months old. When she's doing the treatment she coughs a twice during it, oce at the beginning and again towards the end, but afterwards she doesn't cough. She's really not a cougher unless she is culturing something or refluxing. She does it once a day (we do it during her morning treatment). She does have some lung involvement though.

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

shimmereestar

S

sdelorenzo

I have had to stop hypertonic saline on my son. It too has caused a lot of coughing. I have restarted it at times and he does okay. It just causes irration at other times.
The drs often prescribe 7% maybe you could try 3%.

Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 5 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

I have had to stop hypertonic saline on my son. It too has caused a lot of coughing. I have restarted it at times and he does okay. It just causes irration at other times.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />The drs often prescribe 7% maybe you could try 3%.
<br />
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 5 both with cf