Hypertonic saline causing problems?

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter has been on hypertonic saline for two yrs. When she went on hypertonic saline she was four and had not had really any lung issues up to that point. She had only been on an oral antibiotic once in the 3 yrs prior to starting hs. After a year on hs her x-rays showed inflammation and gas trappings. Her dr said she needed to be on hs twice a day at that point. She then was old enough to start pft's at that visit and she scored around 100%. Three months later and throughout this past yr she scored in the 60-70%. She also had a lot of night coughing and morning cough this yr. She had her first tune up last month. I have been wondering if hs has been causing her inflammation, so last month I had her go back to once a day. A mom on another site mentioned last week that hypertonic saline might not be a good idea for those who culture just staph (like my kids). She said she found some research articles that state staph grows in hypertonic conditions. Anyway, it might be a stretch but I have been in contact with a researcher at the cff last week and he said he would take a look at the research. Here is one article:

The University of Mannitoba, Canada

Effect of Solute Concentration: Most microorganisms live in dilute
aqueous (hypotonic) environments where they are protected from
osmotic lysis by their cell wall. However, the cell wall does not
protect organisms in hypertonic environments where external solute
concentration is greater than the cytoplasmic solute concentration.
These conditions lead to plasmolysis, i.e., the cell becomes
dehydrated (water leaves the cell), the cytoplasmic volume decreases
and the protoplasm collapses. Although the cell wall remains intact
the cells are no longer viable. This is basis for preventing spoilage
of foods by preserving them in presence of high salts (fish) and
sugars (jams).

However some organisms grow in hypertonic environments. These are
referred to as:- osmotolerant, if they can grow in the presence or absence of the
solute or - osmophilic, if the high external soluteis required for growth.
- If the external solute is salt (NaCl) they organisms are referred
to as halotolerant or halophilic. An example of a halotolerant
organism is Staphylococcus aureus, a gram-positive cocci, which can
grow in salt concentrations of 0 to 17.5% (w/v), i.e., 0 to 3 M. This
is a useful diagnostic feature for identifying this pathogen.

Has anyone else noticed problems after taking hypertonic saline for a while?
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter has been on hypertonic saline for two yrs. When she went on hypertonic saline she was four and had not had really any lung issues up to that point. She had only been on an oral antibiotic once in the 3 yrs prior to starting hs. After a year on hs her x-rays showed inflammation and gas trappings. Her dr said she needed to be on hs twice a day at that point. She then was old enough to start pft's at that visit and she scored around 100%. Three months later and throughout this past yr she scored in the 60-70%. She also had a lot of night coughing and morning cough this yr. She had her first tune up last month. I have been wondering if hs has been causing her inflammation, so last month I had her go back to once a day. A mom on another site mentioned last week that hypertonic saline might not be a good idea for those who culture just staph (like my kids). She said she found some research articles that state staph grows in hypertonic conditions. Anyway, it might be a stretch but I have been in contact with a researcher at the cff last week and he said he would take a look at the research. Here is one article:

sugars (jams).

referred to as:- osmotolerant, if they can grow in the presence or absence of the

S

sdelorenzo

sugars (jams).

S

sdelorenzo

sugars (jams).

S

sdelorenzo

sugars (jams).

T

TonyaH

Hi Sharon,
This is very interesting. Andrew started HTS this summer, and within a couple of weeks started producing yellow mucus during airway clearance. I thought it was due to the HTS getting deeper, pulling more out of his lungs. He has grown staph often, but is now, since the HTS, on his second round of orals for staph and his level has gone up a bit. His FEV1 is still fantastic, though.

I'll keep this info in the back of my mind...I'll mention it to his doctor, too.
Thanks for sharing.

T

TonyaH

Hi Sharon,
This is very interesting. Andrew started HTS this summer, and within a couple of weeks started producing yellow mucus during airway clearance. I thought it was due to the HTS getting deeper, pulling more out of his lungs. He has grown staph often, but is now, since the HTS, on his second round of orals for staph and his level has gone up a bit. His FEV1 is still fantastic, though.

I'll keep this info in the back of my mind...I'll mention it to his doctor, too.
Thanks for sharing.

T

TonyaH

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sharing.

T

TonyaH

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sharing.

T

TonyaH

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sharing.

J

Jade

I've tried HS for a while until I couldn't take it anymore. It causes a lot of inflamation and breathing problems so I stopped taking it months ago. I have a lot of doubts about this type of treatment.

J

Jade

I've tried HS for a while until I couldn't take it anymore. It causes a lot of inflamation and breathing problems so I stopped taking it months ago. I have a lot of doubts about this type of treatment.

J

Jade

J

Jade

J

Jade

JazzysMom

I was on it 2 years ago for about 2 months. Initially it helped bring up tons of junk. It was rough with the coughing, but I really thought it was working great. Then I started having SEVERE airways restrictions causing back to back hospital admits, home iv's, predisone treatments etc.

We discontinued the HS & I am terrified to try it again. Some say to start out with a lower %, but quite frankly I just cant do it.

JazzysMom

I was on it 2 years ago for about 2 months. Initially it helped bring up tons of junk. It was rough with the coughing, but I really thought it was working great. Then I started having SEVERE airways restrictions causing back to back hospital admits, home iv's, predisone treatments etc.

We discontinued the HS & I am terrified to try it again. Some say to start out with a lower %, but quite frankly I just cant do it.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom