Hypertonic saline causing problems?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was first prescribed pulmozyme by the local clinic, we'd asked his CF doctor in the City about HTS instead. His doctor, who is very proactive, agressive with treatments, etc., indicated he wanted to hold off prescribing it on his younger patients -- ds was 2 1/2 at the time until more studies were conducted. Apparently most studies were on people who already had more lung involvement.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was first prescribed pulmozyme by the local clinic, we'd asked his CF doctor in the City about HTS instead. His doctor, who is very proactive, agressive with treatments, etc., indicated he wanted to hold off prescribing it on his younger patients -- ds was 2 1/2 at the time until more studies were conducted. Apparently most studies were on people who already had more lung involvement.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

rcq925

Sharon,

Our doctor is also holding off on the hypertonic saline until Hayley is older and there is more research available, since it is fairly new. He has heard of a lot of patients having bronchospasms and difficulty breathing. Hayley is already on Pulmozyme and I am in no hurry to add Hypertonic Saline at this point. Have you thought of taking Sophia off of the Hypertonic Saline completely for like a 90 day period and then doing x-rays and PFT's and see what the difference is? Just a thought, but maybe something you should ask your doctor about trying. Good luck.

By the way, how did the tune up go? I sure hope Sophia is feeling better and her PFT's are back up!!

rcq925

Sharon,

Our doctor is also holding off on the hypertonic saline until Hayley is older and there is more research available, since it is fairly new. He has heard of a lot of patients having bronchospasms and difficulty breathing. Hayley is already on Pulmozyme and I am in no hurry to add Hypertonic Saline at this point. Have you thought of taking Sophia off of the Hypertonic Saline completely for like a 90 day period and then doing x-rays and PFT's and see what the difference is? Just a thought, but maybe something you should ask your doctor about trying. Good luck.

By the way, how did the tune up go? I sure hope Sophia is feeling better and her PFT's are back up!!

rcq925

Sharon,

rcq925

Sharon,

rcq925

Sharon,

scanboyd

I have been using 3% HTS for 6+yrs. I always hydrate myself well before using it. Usually get very good results. My FEV1 was down to 28% now at 41% and have been there for quite a while. In addition to the HTS I use the typical CF RX neb. drugs as well as a good exercise program. Presently I do a 15 min. mile on the treadmill with a grade of 4. Only do 2 miles because when I do 4 miles my wt would drop.. I will be 60 in Feb. of this coming yr.

Ken

scanboyd

I have been using 3% HTS for 6+yrs. I always hydrate myself well before using it. Usually get very good results. My FEV1 was down to 28% now at 41% and have been there for quite a while. In addition to the HTS I use the typical CF RX neb. drugs as well as a good exercise program. Presently I do a 15 min. mile on the treadmill with a grade of 4. Only do 2 miles because when I do 4 miles my wt would drop.. I will be 60 in Feb. of this coming yr.

Ken

scanboyd

Ken

scanboyd

Ken

scanboyd

Ken

A

Aspiemom

Ken, is your 3% HTS a prescribed dose from the dr. that you get from the pharmacy? I'm told that there isn't a 3% or 5%. I'm having a hard time with the 7%.

Debbi

A

Aspiemom

Ken, is your 3% HTS a prescribed dose from the dr. that you get from the pharmacy? I'm told that there isn't a 3% or 5%. I'm having a hard time with the 7%.

Debbi

A

Aspiemom

Debbi

A

Aspiemom

Debbi

A

Aspiemom

Debbi