Hypertonic saline (hts) & electronics

Hardak

Your husband is likely right about the salt screwing with the electronics. I can see where running hot would "solve" the problem or help. Salt's conduct electricity and so as you get a layer of salt built up in a device is bound to have a higher and higher chance of acting wonkie. On a side note, any device you can break down your self and rebuild, should hold out well to getting whipped down with alcohol prep pads. I've cleaned out I have no clue how many game pads and restored them to perfect working order after something got built up on the circuit board.

Hardak

Your husband is likely right about the salt screwing with the electronics. I can see where running hot would "solve" the problem or help. Salt's conduct electricity and so as you get a layer of salt built up in a device is bound to have a higher and higher chance of acting wonkie. On a side note, any device you can break down your self and rebuild, should hold out well to getting whipped down with alcohol prep pads. I've cleaned out I have no clue how many game pads and restored them to perfect working order after something got built up on the circuit board.

Melissa75

Administrator
Thanks for the additional input. I should get a screen protector. And a desktop would be better because all the complicated electronics would be under a desk, not 12 inches from my face :). But I so prefer my laptop...habit.
Keith, I've seen my husband do the alcohol prep pad thing on some stuff--sounds like you two have similar skill sets. By contrast, it took me a year to see that my compressor had a hook to hang the nebulizer on. I wouldn't dare open a machine with that kind of understanding of engineering and mechanics. :)
(Last night I asked my ten yr old to show me how to work the clips on my climbing backpack.)

Melissa75

Administrator
Thanks for the additional input. I should get a screen protector. And a desktop would be better because all the complicated electronics would be under a desk, not 12 inches from my face :). But I so prefer my laptop...habit.
Keith, I've seen my husband do the alcohol prep pad thing on some stuff--sounds like you two have similar skill sets. By contrast, it took me a year to see that my compressor had a hook to hang the nebulizer on. I wouldn't dare open a machine with that kind of understanding of engineering and mechanics. :)
(Last night I asked my ten yr old to show me how to work the clips on my climbing backpack.)

pozzy

My son has destroyed a DS by playing it while doing his saline treatments. Now he can't play with any electronics during his treatment. I hate that he can't since it was an incentive to get him to do them.

pozzy

My son has destroyed a DS by playing it while doing his saline treatments. Now he can't play with any electronics during his treatment. I hate that he can't since it was an incentive to get him to do them.

CrisDopher

Oh yes. Many, many optical drive failures. And every time the techs at Apple crack into my computers, screens, etc, they comment on the mysterious white powder coating everything. I keep my mouth shut.

CrisDopher

Oh yes. Many, many optical drive failures. And every time the techs at Apple crack into my computers, screens, etc, they comment on the mysterious white powder coating everything. I keep my mouth shut.

CyrilCrodius

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><em>Originally posted by: <strong>hammerpocket</strong></em> I've had bad luck with optical (DVD/CD) drives in my computers going bad. I suspect it has something to do with the nebulized meds, especially the sticky antibiotics. (I don't use HTS.) I now use an older computer in a different part of the house from my newest system when I'm doing nebs.</end quote>

YES! I concur. This has happened to me too with Nebcin. I had to clean the laser lense on the optical drive of my old laptop to get it to work before it eventually really died and the plate where the disc is placed had a slight white residue on it.

CyrilCrodius

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><em>Originally posted by: <strong>hammerpocket</strong></em> I've had bad luck with optical (DVD/CD) drives in my computers going bad. I suspect it has something to do with the nebulized meds, especially the sticky antibiotics. (I don't use HTS.) I now use an older computer in a different part of the house from my newest system when I'm doing nebs.</end quote>

YES! I concur. This has happened to me too with Nebcin. I had to clean the laser lense on the optical drive of my old laptop to get it to work before it eventually really died and the plate where the disc is placed had a slight white residue on it.

janddburke

There was a post some time ago asking if anyone had furniture or carpet dicoloration due to nebulized meds. would imagine the same impact. not sure what the solution is there.

janddburke

There was a post some time ago asking if anyone had furniture or carpet dicoloration due to nebulized meds. would imagine the same impact. not sure what the solution is there.