Hypertonic Saline in 2 year old

travlinuf

Thanks, does your daughter do HTS 1st then Pulm all while doing shakes? Has she ever had a problem with excessive coughing or bronchospasms?

travlinuf

Thanks, does your daughter do HTS 1st then Pulm all while doing shakes? Has she ever had a problem with excessive coughing or bronchospasms?

travlinuf

travlinuf

thanks, does your daughter do hts 1st then, Pulm all while doing the vest? Has she ever had a problem with excessive coughing or bronchospasms? Thanks,

travlinuf

thanks, does your daughter do hts 1st then, Pulm all while doing the vest? Has she ever had a problem with excessive coughing or bronchospasms? Thanks,

travlinuf

<br />

hmw

travinluf~ your dr is recommending hypertonic saline WITHOUT albuterol- and doesn't have the kids do it for the first time in the office either? That would make me very nervous. Some people with cf do OK without a bronchodilator first, but as far as I know, the majority of people that use hypertonic saline take albuterol first, to open the airways and reduce risk of bronchospasm.

edan~ it's great that your child doesn't need a bronchodilator prior to using the hts. How did you & her dr decide she didn't need it- i.e. did she always do it that way, or did you decide to try it after first using albuterol?

hmw

travinluf~ your dr is recommending hypertonic saline WITHOUT albuterol- and doesn't have the kids do it for the first time in the office either? That would make me very nervous. Some people with cf do OK without a bronchodilator first, but as far as I know, the majority of people that use hypertonic saline take albuterol first, to open the airways and reduce risk of bronchospasm.

edan~ it's great that your child doesn't need a bronchodilator prior to using the hts. How did you & her dr decide she didn't need it- i.e. did she always do it that way, or did you decide to try it after first using albuterol?

hmw

<br />
<br />edan~ it's great that your child doesn't need a bronchodilator prior to using the hts. How did you & her dr decide she didn't need it- i.e. did she always do it that way, or did you decide to try it after first using albuterol?
<br />
<br />

travlinuf

Thanks Harriet, I am also the one with the post about changing clinics and dr's because of this - This is the 2nd time and important detail has been overlooked. Yes, it makes me nervouse as well since another mom at our clinic had to do it in the clinic with the bronchodilator and her daughter is older than my 2 yr old. I am a RN and I think sometimes they think I am more compfortable with things, but when it comes to my baby I am NOT! thanks, i am callign Monday mornign to get things straight.

travlinuf

Thanks Harriet, I am also the one with the post about changing clinics and dr's because of this - This is the 2nd time and important detail has been overlooked. Yes, it makes me nervouse as well since another mom at our clinic had to do it in the clinic with the bronchodilator and her daughter is older than my 2 yr old. I am a RN and I think sometimes they think I am more compfortable with things, but when it comes to my baby I am NOT! thanks, i am callign Monday mornign to get things straight.

travlinuf

scanboyd

I have used HTS for 9 yrs. Started with 3% now use 7%, really can not tell the difference. I do the HTS first, I have tried bronchodilator first, but get better results with the HTS first. This may not make sense but it works for me. As for a child I would suggest to start at the lowest %HTS maybe evern normal saline and work up to what % makes them makes them cough. Hts is my most important drug, gets me cleanded out!!

scanboyd

I have used HTS for 9 yrs. Started with 3% now use 7%, really can not tell the difference. I do the HTS first, I have tried bronchodilator first, but get better results with the HTS first. This may not make sense but it works for me. As for a child I would suggest to start at the lowest %HTS maybe evern normal saline and work up to what % makes them makes them cough. Hts is my most important drug, gets me cleanded out!!

scanboyd

E

edan

Lindsay,
She does Pulm right after HTS, all the while vesting. Not saying it is the best way. I don't know what is. But, it works for us. We started right away at 7% with no issues. If your doctor doesn't want to administer it in office first, I think that is way wrong and does not set the basis for trust IMO.

Harriet,

The doctor tried it without the bronchodialator in the office because we are not total fans of the bronchodialator. The xopanax gives my daughter a hoarsy, seal-like cough when she is not sick. If she is sick, then we definitely do the bronchodialator. Albuterol, if used too many times in a row, i.e. 2x+/day for multiple days, gives her a racing heartbeat. She calls it "beeping" and I have actually seen the vein in her neck pulsate at times. This happens once or twice a day for 20 seconds or something. This lasts even a few days after we discontinue albuterol. I spoke to a cardiologist about this and he said the heart gets into a pattern that even when the albuterol is out of the system, it takes the heart a short term to get back to normal. I believe it because that is what I have seen with my daughter. I am absolutely sure of this as I have tried it off an on throughout the last year. I think this is pretty rare though because there was only one or two others on this forum that could relate to what I was saying.

On hts, she does not wheeze at all. I have checked her oxygen levels before, during and after. There is a transient dip from 99 (this is the highest my reader goes) to 97. I contacted a doctor at UNC (they are the major ones that study HTS and brought it's use into this country from australia I believe). He said the slight dip is expected, and that as long as it goes right back up after the treatment, we are ok.

Caveat: This is what we think works best for us at this time. HTS 2x/day, pulm 1x/day with an occassional bronchodialator thrown in (1-2x/week) when healthy. Obviously, this might change, but this is where we are today and definitely HTS should be tried first in the office as some people can't even tolerate it with a bronchodialator administered ahead of time.

On anothe note, I know a 65 year old who does albuterol/HTS every day and he swears by it and gets around really well.

Hope this helps.

E

edan

Lindsay,
She does Pulm right after HTS, all the while vesting. Not saying it is the best way. I don't know what is. But, it works for us. We started right away at 7% with no issues. If your doctor doesn't want to administer it in office first, I think that is way wrong and does not set the basis for trust IMO.

Harriet,

The doctor tried it without the bronchodialator in the office because we are not total fans of the bronchodialator. The xopanax gives my daughter a hoarsy, seal-like cough when she is not sick. If she is sick, then we definitely do the bronchodialator. Albuterol, if used too many times in a row, i.e. 2x+/day for multiple days, gives her a racing heartbeat. She calls it "beeping" and I have actually seen the vein in her neck pulsate at times. This happens once or twice a day for 20 seconds or something. This lasts even a few days after we discontinue albuterol. I spoke to a cardiologist about this and he said the heart gets into a pattern that even when the albuterol is out of the system, it takes the heart a short term to get back to normal. I believe it because that is what I have seen with my daughter. I am absolutely sure of this as I have tried it off an on throughout the last year. I think this is pretty rare though because there was only one or two others on this forum that could relate to what I was saying.

On hts, she does not wheeze at all. I have checked her oxygen levels before, during and after. There is a transient dip from 99 (this is the highest my reader goes) to 97. I contacted a doctor at UNC (they are the major ones that study HTS and brought it's use into this country from australia I believe). He said the slight dip is expected, and that as long as it goes right back up after the treatment, we are ok.

Caveat: This is what we think works best for us at this time. HTS 2x/day, pulm 1x/day with an occassional bronchodialator thrown in (1-2x/week) when healthy. Obviously, this might change, but this is where we are today and definitely HTS should be tried first in the office as some people can't even tolerate it with a bronchodialator administered ahead of time.

On anothe note, I know a 65 year old who does albuterol/HTS every day and he swears by it and gets around really well.

Hope this helps.

E

edan

Lindsay,
<br />She does Pulm right after HTS, all the while vesting. Not saying it is the best way. I don't know what is. But, it works for us. We started right away at 7% with no issues. If your doctor doesn't want to administer it in office first, I think that is way wrong and does not set the basis for trust IMO.
<br />
<br />Harriet,
<br />
<br />The doctor tried it without the bronchodialator in the office because we are not total fans of the bronchodialator. The xopanax gives my daughter a hoarsy, seal-like cough when she is not sick. If she is sick, then we definitely do the bronchodialator. Albuterol, if used too many times in a row, i.e. 2x+/day for multiple days, gives her a racing heartbeat. She calls it "beeping" and I have actually seen the vein in her neck pulsate at times. This happens once or twice a day for 20 seconds or something. This lasts even a few days after we discontinue albuterol. I spoke to a cardiologist about this and he said the heart gets into a pattern that even when the albuterol is out of the system, it takes the heart a short term to get back to normal. I believe it because that is what I have seen with my daughter. I am absolutely sure of this as I have tried it off an on throughout the last year. I think this is pretty rare though because there was only one or two others on this forum that could relate to what I was saying.
<br />
<br />On hts, she does not wheeze at all. I have checked her oxygen levels before, during and after. There is a transient dip from 99 (this is the highest my reader goes) to 97. I contacted a doctor at UNC (they are the major ones that study HTS and brought it's use into this country from australia I believe). He said the slight dip is expected, and that as long as it goes right back up after the treatment, we are ok.
<br />
<br />Caveat: This is what we think works best for us at this time. HTS 2x/day, pulm 1x/day with an occassional bronchodialator thrown in (1-2x/week) when healthy. Obviously, this might change, but this is where we are today and definitely HTS should be tried first in the office as some people can't even tolerate it with a bronchodialator administered ahead of time.
<br />
<br />
<br />On anothe note, I know a 65 year old who does albuterol/HTS every day and he swears by it and gets around really well.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps.

hmw

edan~ You definitely went about it the right away~ trying it first in the office setting and monitoring everything to be sure all went well. :) Given your dd's reaction to bronchodilators (I have heard of others having the same response) it's certain that you are doing the right thing! Our clinic was quite careful when we first introduced albuterol for Emily. We started at a low dose and we had to monitor her pulse and watch for potential side effects, etc, and be sure she could tolerate it before any increases. I appreciate our clinic's attention to detail in things like this and it makes me feel confident in how they manage their care- yours is as well in taking into consideration HER needs and not some blanket standard for how to use the hts. Fortunately Emily does well with albuterol, with no noticeable side effects, even on large doses (her pulse and bp is always low end of normal when monitored inpatient, for example, when on large amounts of nebs.) I say fortunately, because she needs it- she has a major asthma component to her cf.

Lindsay~ I am sorry this isn't the first time you have had trouble at your clinic. :-( We depend on them SO much to take good care of our children and need that good communication and trust. I wish you the best in getting things resolved.

hmw

edan~ You definitely went about it the right away~ trying it first in the office setting and monitoring everything to be sure all went well. :) Given your dd's reaction to bronchodilators (I have heard of others having the same response) it's certain that you are doing the right thing! Our clinic was quite careful when we first introduced albuterol for Emily. We started at a low dose and we had to monitor her pulse and watch for potential side effects, etc, and be sure she could tolerate it before any increases. I appreciate our clinic's attention to detail in things like this and it makes me feel confident in how they manage their care- yours is as well in taking into consideration HER needs and not some blanket standard for how to use the hts. Fortunately Emily does well with albuterol, with no noticeable side effects, even on large doses (her pulse and bp is always low end of normal when monitored inpatient, for example, when on large amounts of nebs.) I say fortunately, because she needs it- she has a major asthma component to her cf.

Lindsay~ I am sorry this isn't the first time you have had trouble at your clinic. :-( We depend on them SO much to take good care of our children and need that good communication and trust. I wish you the best in getting things resolved.