Hypertonic Saline tolerance test?

grassisgreener

I brought up HTS at my daughter's most recent clinic appointment and her pulm said she would need to do a pft test to make sure she can tolerate it. I have never heard anything about this before so I am curious if others have done this too?

reagansmom

My daughter wasn't old enough to do PFTs when she started HTS, but they did bring her in to watch her during her first dose to see of she would tolerate it. Apparently some people experience broncial spasms with it.

AnD

I also didn't have a pft test, they just made me take my first dose in clinic. Maybe they mean to check her pft's after the first dose in clinic to make sure she's not having broncospasms?

MissKitty

I had to do the pfts to make sure that it didnt make my functions lower after the HTS. They said if my post was lower than the pre I wouldnt be able to take HTS. I was about the same but it is very hard for me to breathe it in longer than 2 minutes at a time. I breathe it in and stop to take a drink then continue and repeat.

T

TonyaH

Yes, HTS tolerance tests are very common. Everyone reacts differently to it. My son's lung funcion drops on 10%, and 7% has caused hemoptysis. He started out on 7%, cut down to 3% when he has two different episodes of bleeding, and now he is back on 7% and I am to watch him for bleeds.

But overall, HTS is the neb that does the most for him. He is on pulmozyme as well, but the hypertonic really seems to help him the most.

Good luck!
Tonya

grassisgreener

Thanks everyone, it makes much more sense now. I should have asked more about it at her appointment but I was more focused on other things at the moment, such as my daughter freaking out about the throat culture! :)

regina65

They didnt make do pft's . I just started using it. I did bleed some at first and every now and then ,but now I think its my throat and not my lungs. It is hard on the throat. I too drink something during to wash it off my throat. But it helps a lot with getting the gunk out

regina44/w/cf

regina65

My bleeding is in my throat not my lungs and I don't get that very often . I tolerate the HTS very well. I can handle a little throat irritation vs not being able to breathe.I don't have many options as far as antibiotics go . I have cenocepacia and B cepacia complex. I am allergic to meropenum and ceftazadine. Those were the only 2 meds the cepacia is sensitive to . So I avoid sick people at all cost.

Printer

CyrilCrodius:

Thanks Cyril, I'm allergic to Toby and Pulmizime. Sailine is my only, current, med and I've been on it for more than 10 years. But given that you know more than the CF Doctors in two Boston Hospitals, I'll stop now.

Bill

hmw

All kids try hypersal in clinic for the first time at our center since it can cause bronchospasm, especially for people that have issues with a lot of inflammation/asthma. Emily did pft's, albuterol, pft's, hypersal, pft's. She had a productive cough and junk draining from her sinuses that first session and her pft's were fine, so we were given the green light to start. It's been a great tx for her and helps her clear so much stuff when she is sick, and more when she's healthy than she used to before.

The only time we have been instructed to stop is if she has bleeding, but in her case it's not the hypersal that causes it (she was starting with it before ever doing hypersal), it's only when she is severely ill and we have to stop some of her other tx as well.

CyrilCrodius

Yes, Bill, because I was totally and specifically talking about you and your situation. Not.
Wtf, you weren't even in the thread. You sure went a great length to post that snotty reply.

M

MamaDee

My son did the ISIS trial and they watched him during and after his first dose of HTS to make sure he wasn't coughing a ton.. he wasn't so we got the go ahead and have been on it since, so about 2 years now. we had 2 IPFTs done, once at the beginning and once and the end of the study. No change for him on that either.