hypertonic saline

R

Red9928

I was in the hospital last week following a hemoptysis. My CF team has stopped Pulmozyme all together and I'm starting HTS for the first time. I seem to be tolerating it well. Just curious if anyone has ever experienced any negative side effects, including bleeds, while taking HTS. Thanks!

H

Hail2Pitt

I love HTS - I honestly feel like it changed my life. It has made my airway clearance much more productive.

I've never had negative side effects, and I do a lot of HTS. I actually do 3 vials of 7% saline twice a day (each session of 3 vials takes about 30 mintes). This makes my cough extremely productive. I think HTS causes airway irritation in some folks, but I've never had an issue.

What concentration are you using (3%? 7%?)? And how frequently are you doing it?

Good luck!

MichaelL

I'm a fan of hypertonic saline as well. It can be irritating for some people. I used to do 5% twice a day. Last year I got very sick and couldn't tolerate it anymore -- it made me cough too violently. I've been using 3% once a day, but I hope to get back to twice a day.

I stop hypertonic saline when I have significant hemoptysis until I have 24 hours of no blood.

I hope it works well for you.

shellbell

Love doing HTS. It is somewhat taxing just because you have to be prepared to cough - a lot! But I think it is a life extender/saver. My previous Dr. Told me if he had to prescribe just one drug for CF that is the most important - he would choose the HTS. I do 7% twice a day and never miss it! I hope it works well for you - keep it up

W

windex125

unfortunately I cld not tolerate it and it made me dry hack even more, so I had to give it up. But I call Pulmozyme my liquid gold as I have been using that since it came out and it has done great for me and thinning my mucus. I also stop it as well if I have any bleeding. Great to hear it is so helpful for you. Pat/59

B

bookworm

I take HS 7% twice a day and sometimes 3x a day when I am coming down with something. Also if I do 2 vials a time it makes a big difference, but it is unfortunately not in my budget to do this. Of all the things I've inhaled, Pulmozyme, Tobi, Cayston, Hypertonic Saline is the only thing that has not given me bleeds.

Please note that the studies indicate that if you use 10ml. of 7% each time, you may have a 10% increase in lung function, so if you can do multiple vials at a time, and you have a good way to cover the cost, you'll get better results that way, then just sticking with 1 vial in the morning and another in the evening. You'll enjoy being "clearer" between treatments.

Oboe

Worst I've had is some throat irritation. Might end a treatment early if it bothers me. Usually goes away pretty quickly, though.

S

suros8

The only negatives from my hubby are that if he has food in his stomach he will puke it up during HTS. This means that eating is very regimented, and snacking difficult. He does it 2 times a day and sees a real difference when he keeps to a regular schedule.

keefer11

Thanks Bookworm! I'm going to try doing 2 vials at a time! I had never heard that it's more effective that way.

Also, I tolerate HTS very well, but my sister didn't. She bled every time she used it so stopped.

B

bookworm

You're welcome. :) I think the actual trial that came up with these numbers was a small trial of about 14 people, but there's also been some positive research lately on how it helps with airway hydration.
This quote about the effect of 10ml twice a day is from the Cochrane Review:

Lung function, measured by improvement in forced expiratory volume at one second (FEV1 litre per minute), was observed in four trials. When 3% to 7% saline was used in a volume of 10 ml twice-a-day, in comparison to placebo, hypertonic saline led to a significant increase in FEV1, weighted mean difference 12.20 (95%CI 4.28 to 20.10).

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/7710104_Nebulised_hypertonic_saline_for_cystic_fibrosis

There are some later Cochrane Reviews on the same subject and there is also this article that gives a pretty good overview of hypertonic saline, including more recent studies on the anti-inflammatory and anti-infective properties of HTS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3356721/

cam

On 7% for a very long time and tolerating it great when i first started it was helping alot as time went on not so much but I can say that it helps and has helped me for long time some people cant tolerate it or causes bleeds but if u can tolerate it use it has helped me hope everyone gets better and stays healthy

nmw0615

I can't tolerate it if I do two doses of 7% everyday. I cough up blood. Instead of completely getting rid of it, I do two doses three days a week. On Tuesday, Thursday, and either Saturday or Sunday I do my hypertonic, with Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and one weekend day being rest days. I seem to tolerate this schedule well and still get some benefit.

W

Werner G

Red 9928: How is it going with the inhalation of Hypertonic Saline? Hemoptysis seems to be one of the side-effects of Pulmozyme per their package insert - if I remember well. I haven't heard about Hemoptysis in conjunction with saline treatments yet.