Hypertonic Saline

Mammahuff

We went to clinic today and since the Tiger Study is no longer, the doc is starting Austin back on HTS. He wants to try Austin back on Albuterol too. He is on Xopenex. He was switched to that several years ago.

Well the doc said that he can use the HTS and mix it in the same cup with his albuterol. He said that would eliminate some time. Sounds good to us. He said that he doesn't know about doing it with the Xopenex though. He knows it will work with Albuterol though. So this will same us some time.

Does anyone else do this?

And another thing is I have 7 boxes of Xopenex. He always got 2 boxes when he was doing the study so we always had extra. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use the xopenex up first or when we get his HTS and albuterol just go ahead and stop the xopenex and start the other.

Mammahuff

We went to clinic today and since the Tiger Study is no longer, the doc is starting Austin back on HTS. He wants to try Austin back on Albuterol too. He is on Xopenex. He was switched to that several years ago.

Well the doc said that he can use the HTS and mix it in the same cup with his albuterol. He said that would eliminate some time. Sounds good to us. He said that he doesn't know about doing it with the Xopenex though. He knows it will work with Albuterol though. So this will same us some time.

Does anyone else do this?

And another thing is I have 7 boxes of Xopenex. He always got 2 boxes when he was doing the study so we always had extra. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use the xopenex up first or when we get his HTS and albuterol just go ahead and stop the xopenex and start the other.

Mammahuff

<br />
<br />Well the doc said that he can use the HTS and mix it in the same cup with his albuterol. He said that would eliminate some time. Sounds good to us. He said that he doesn't know about doing it with the Xopenex though. He knows it will work with Albuterol though. So this will same us some time.
<br />
<br />Does anyone else do this?
<br />
<br />And another thing is I have 7 boxes of Xopenex. He always got 2 boxes when he was doing the study so we always had extra. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use the xopenex up first or when we get his HTS and albuterol just go ahead and stop the xopenex and start the other.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We do HTS and Albuterol together. But we don't use a vial of albuterol, we use the bottle with a dropper to measure .5 ml of albuterol into the saline. I don't know what concentration of saline he wants Austin on, but if he wants it to be close to 7% then you would need to use the drops. Adding a full vial of xopenex would dilute the saline too much. I would keep the xopenex on hand for doing any extra treatments needed during the day. The concentrated albuterol needs to be mixed to saline in order to neb, you can't neb that straight. So my daughter does 2 treatments a day of HTS/Albuterol mixed and if we need to do a mid-day treatment we use a regular vial of albuterol.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We do HTS and Albuterol together. But we don't use a vial of albuterol, we use the bottle with a dropper to measure .5 ml of albuterol into the saline. I don't know what concentration of saline he wants Austin on, but if he wants it to be close to 7% then you would need to use the drops. Adding a full vial of xopenex would dilute the saline too much. I would keep the xopenex on hand for doing any extra treatments needed during the day. The concentrated albuterol needs to be mixed to saline in order to neb, you can't neb that straight. So my daughter does 2 treatments a day of HTS/Albuterol mixed and if we need to do a mid-day treatment we use a regular vial of albuterol.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

Mammahuff

OOPS hit the enter button too quickly. HAHA!

Yes Teri thats what Austins is. A bottle of Albuterol with a dropper and it is the .5 ml.

That is a good idea about using the xopenex in between if he needs more treatments throughout the day. Thanks for you input.

Mammahuff

Yes Teri thats what Austins is. A bottle of Albuterol with a dropper and it is the .5 ml.

That is a good idea about using the xopenex in between if he needs more treatments throughout the day. Thanks for you input.

Mammahuff

<br />
<br />Yes Teri thats what Austins is. A bottle of Albuterol with a dropper and it is the .5 ml.
<br />
<br />That is a good idea about using the xopenex in between if he needs more treatments throughout the day. Thanks for you input.

carmick

I mixed concentrated xopenex with HTS 7% for awhile. They worked really well together and I always felt great after, and saved some time. It actually upped my compliance because I could kill two birds with one stone so I felt really productive. Unfortunately the insurance company told the pharmacy that I should be getting pre-mixed xopenex so I can't do mix anymore without diluting the HTS. Oh well.

carmick

I mixed concentrated xopenex with HTS 7% for awhile. They worked really well together and I always felt great after, and saved some time. It actually upped my compliance because I could kill two birds with one stone so I felt really productive. Unfortunately the insurance company told the pharmacy that I should be getting pre-mixed xopenex so I can't do mix anymore without diluting the HTS. Oh well.

carmick