Hypothetical question

lightNlife

I've often pondered this myself, particularly in light of my husband and my decision not to have children. At one time I believed that it was "the only responsible choice" for CFers to not procreate. My logic (albeit flawed) was similar to yours, but took a different direction. I hypothesized that if CFers had kids, that would certainly result in the addition of more mutations to the hundreds we already know, thereby making the disease even more difficult to erradicate.

From a genetic standpoint, the probability of eventually ridding the world's population of CF mutations is HIGHLY unlikely. So unlikely in fact that it's the stuff of science fiction. In fact, this was something I had the opportunity to discuss with Dr. Francis Collins, the geneticist who identified the CF gene in 1989.

Mutations in the DNA occur EVERY time that a sperm and egg fuse. Some mutations result in CF. Some cause other genetic diseases, and some mutations are completely benign. It's thanks to mutation that we even have genetic variation (and also the reason why a new type of flu shot has to be used every year--it's because the virus mutates.)

--
As a side note, it's now technologically possible for a person to have their entire DNA sequenced. It comes as a print out of all the proteins/amino acids that are strung together to make up your DNA. It looks something like:

AGGATCGTAATTCCGAGAGTTTCCAGAG....and so on and so forth. At this point, however, it's basically meaningless data. You have to have specific genetic screening that knows what to look for in the alphabet soup.

lightNlife

I've often pondered this myself, particularly in light of my husband and my decision not to have children. At one time I believed that it was "the only responsible choice" for CFers to not procreate. My logic (albeit flawed) was similar to yours, but took a different direction. I hypothesized that if CFers had kids, that would certainly result in the addition of more mutations to the hundreds we already know, thereby making the disease even more difficult to erradicate.

From a genetic standpoint, the probability of eventually ridding the world's population of CF mutations is HIGHLY unlikely. So unlikely in fact that it's the stuff of science fiction. In fact, this was something I had the opportunity to discuss with Dr. Francis Collins, the geneticist who identified the CF gene in 1989.

Mutations in the DNA occur EVERY time that a sperm and egg fuse. Some mutations result in CF. Some cause other genetic diseases, and some mutations are completely benign. It's thanks to mutation that we even have genetic variation (and also the reason why a new type of flu shot has to be used every year--it's because the virus mutates.)

--
As a side note, it's now technologically possible for a person to have their entire DNA sequenced. It comes as a print out of all the proteins/amino acids that are strung together to make up your DNA. It looks something like:

AGGATCGTAATTCCGAGAGTTTCCAGAG....and so on and so forth. At this point, however, it's basically meaningless data. You have to have specific genetic screening that knows what to look for in the alphabet soup.

lightNlife

--

lightNlife

--

lightNlife

<br />
<br />From a genetic standpoint, the probability of eventually ridding the world's population of CF mutations is HIGHLY unlikely. So unlikely in fact that it's the stuff of science fiction. In fact, this was something I had the opportunity to discuss with Dr. Francis Collins, the geneticist who identified the CF gene in 1989.
<br />
<br />Mutations in the DNA occur EVERY time that a sperm and egg fuse. Some mutations result in CF. Some cause other genetic diseases, and some mutations are completely benign. It's thanks to mutation that we even have genetic variation (and also the reason why a new type of flu shot has to be used every year--it's because the virus mutates.)
<br />
<br />
<br />--
<br />As a side note, it's now technologically possible for a person to have their entire DNA sequenced. It comes as a print out of all the proteins/amino acids that are strung together to make up your DNA. It looks something like:
<br />
<br /> AGGATCGTAATTCCGAGAGTTTCCAGAG....and so on and so forth. At this point, however, it's basically meaningless data. You have to have specific genetic screening that knows what to look for in the alphabet soup.
<br />
<br />
<br />

H

hopesiris

While some cases of CF may be prevented, many more cases of rare mutations or mild "atypical" CF like mine are being identified. Though someone like me may possibly live longer, the end result is still lung failure and treatments will continue to be needed by this growing population.

Also, as long as the two options for preventing CF in the offspring of carriers/CFers remain abortion or extremely expensive IVF/PGD, couples at risk don't have an affordable and reasonable way to have biological children. Infertile couples have the right to start a family and so do couples who are at risk for genetic disease. I say that as someone with personal experience and I can't even express the deep sadness it has brought to my life.

H

hopesiris

While some cases of CF may be prevented, many more cases of rare mutations or mild "atypical" CF like mine are being identified. Though someone like me may possibly live longer, the end result is still lung failure and treatments will continue to be needed by this growing population.

Also, as long as the two options for preventing CF in the offspring of carriers/CFers remain abortion or extremely expensive IVF/PGD, couples at risk don't have an affordable and reasonable way to have biological children. Infertile couples have the right to start a family and so do couples who are at risk for genetic disease. I say that as someone with personal experience and I can't even express the deep sadness it has brought to my life.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />Also, as long as the two options for preventing CF in the offspring of carriers/CFers remain abortion or extremely expensive IVF/PGD, couples at risk don't have an affordable and reasonable way to have biological children. Infertile couples have the right to start a family and so do couples who are at risk for genetic disease. I say that as someone with personal experience and I can't even express the deep sadness it has brought to my life.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />