I get so discouraged

MicheleGazelle

If you are an adult and not comatose, the doctors can't force you to get a g-tube. That should be your decision.

For me and my son wcf, changing our diet (and, in my case, taking a lot of supplements) has helped a lot. He has beefed up considerably and, although I was quite hefty and have slimmed down a lot, I no longer struggle to eat and no longer hate food. I am beginning to enjoy eating for the first time in my life. For many years, it was a chore.

Peace.

MicheleGazelle

If you are an adult and not comatose, the doctors can't force you to get a g-tube. That should be your decision.

For me and my son wcf, changing our diet (and, in my case, taking a lot of supplements) has helped a lot. He has beefed up considerably and, although I was quite hefty and have slimmed down a lot, I no longer struggle to eat and no longer hate food. I am beginning to enjoy eating for the first time in my life. For many years, it was a chore.

Peace.

MicheleGazelle

Peace.

MicheleGazelle

Peace.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />For me and my son wcf, changing our diet (and, in my case, taking a lot of supplements) has helped a lot. He has beefed up considerably and, although I was quite hefty and have slimmed down a lot, I no longer struggle to eat and no longer hate food. I am beginning to enjoy eating for the first time in my life. For many years, it was a chore.
<br />
<br />Peace.

Diane

Gaining weight isnt as easy as it sounds. 5 pounds in a month can be a lot for a cf'er. I can share with you some of my tricks and tidbits for helping gain weight. Being diabetic i am cautious about eating too many sweets. I do however still eat them but i make sure only to eat them when my blood sugar allows and always eat them with a protein and fat. I never skip taking enzymes. I also discovered something called a "Balance Bar" Its in the nutrition aisle of stores where they have all the protein bars and drinks like Boost, Ensure etc. I like the Cookie Dough bar. It has 200 calories, and 15 grams of protein, it is low glycemic index and does not raise my blood sugars too much . I also drink a Boost ( glucose control) shake with it and thats another 200 calories, so with those two things i have an easy 400 calories. At night before bed, i will eat a turkey sandwich with the balance bar and the boost shake and it has helped me put on and maintain my weight. Glutathione is also something that helps with weight. When i started using it ( orally ) i put on weight and kept it on till i went off of it. Now that i am back on it i am gaining it back slowly. Gaining weight takes time, it wont happen quickly no matter how you try. Just keep eating well and often and taking your enzymes. Also if dairy isnt a problem for you, it has been a big help to me in weight gain, maybe you can try eating more dairy.

Diane

Gaining weight isnt as easy as it sounds. 5 pounds in a month can be a lot for a cf'er. I can share with you some of my tricks and tidbits for helping gain weight. Being diabetic i am cautious about eating too many sweets. I do however still eat them but i make sure only to eat them when my blood sugar allows and always eat them with a protein and fat. I never skip taking enzymes. I also discovered something called a "Balance Bar" Its in the nutrition aisle of stores where they have all the protein bars and drinks like Boost, Ensure etc. I like the Cookie Dough bar. It has 200 calories, and 15 grams of protein, it is low glycemic index and does not raise my blood sugars too much . I also drink a Boost ( glucose control) shake with it and thats another 200 calories, so with those two things i have an easy 400 calories. At night before bed, i will eat a turkey sandwich with the balance bar and the boost shake and it has helped me put on and maintain my weight. Glutathione is also something that helps with weight. When i started using it ( orally ) i put on weight and kept it on till i went off of it. Now that i am back on it i am gaining it back slowly. Gaining weight takes time, it wont happen quickly no matter how you try. Just keep eating well and often and taking your enzymes. Also if dairy isnt a problem for you, it has been a big help to me in weight gain, maybe you can try eating more dairy.

Diane

Diane

Diane

<br />
<br />

soderick

I completely understand the difficulties with gaining weight. I battled it for 21 years. Finally, after culturing a new mystery fungus that isn't sensitive to anything, I realized that gaining weight was essential to my survival, and I was convinced by my doctor to get a g-tube. I had been fighting it with all my heart forever, but I finally made the decision, and it was the greatest thing I ever did for myself. Granted, the first couple of weeks were no picnic, and My stomach isn't as attractive anymore, but I gained 11 pounds in 4 months, and I haven't been hospitalized since last February. I had the long, ugly tube for 4 months, then I had it replaced with a Mic-Key button, and it's almost like having nothing there.

I realize this might not be something you want to do, but you sound just like me, and after I finally decided to do this, I was sorry I hadn't done it sooner. I fought and fought to gain weight. I hated the taste of Boost and Scandi products, and forcing myself to drink them was stressful and made me miserable. I would often start out strong after a doctor lecture, then slowly stop drinking them. I tried Megace when I was much younger, and that helped a bit, but it never did the trick completely.

Best of luck to you!

soderick

I completely understand the difficulties with gaining weight. I battled it for 21 years. Finally, after culturing a new mystery fungus that isn't sensitive to anything, I realized that gaining weight was essential to my survival, and I was convinced by my doctor to get a g-tube. I had been fighting it with all my heart forever, but I finally made the decision, and it was the greatest thing I ever did for myself. Granted, the first couple of weeks were no picnic, and My stomach isn't as attractive anymore, but I gained 11 pounds in 4 months, and I haven't been hospitalized since last February. I had the long, ugly tube for 4 months, then I had it replaced with a Mic-Key button, and it's almost like having nothing there.

I realize this might not be something you want to do, but you sound just like me, and after I finally decided to do this, I was sorry I hadn't done it sooner. I fought and fought to gain weight. I hated the taste of Boost and Scandi products, and forcing myself to drink them was stressful and made me miserable. I would often start out strong after a doctor lecture, then slowly stop drinking them. I tried Megace when I was much younger, and that helped a bit, but it never did the trick completely.

Best of luck to you!

soderick

Best of luck to you!

soderick

Best of luck to you!

soderick

<br />
<br />I realize this might not be something you want to do, but you sound just like me, and after I finally decided to do this, I was sorry I hadn't done it sooner. I fought and fought to gain weight. I hated the taste of Boost and Scandi products, and forcing myself to drink them was stressful and made me miserable. I would often start out strong after a doctor lecture, then slowly stop drinking them. I tried Megace when I was much younger, and that helped a bit, but it never did the trick completely.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you!

SarahJean1976

Good morning ALi...
Like everyone else on here has said, 5 lbs in one month?? Is your nutrutionist new to the CF world??? Over the last 32 years I have met my fair share of doctors and I have found myself asking that question often... LOL! At times I have had to explain stuff to doctors, and then I still get the bill!!! LOL... As an age it says "young", so I am not sure how old you are, but as a teen I weighed about 115lbs and was 5'9... I was skinny and I HATED IT!!! I would wear sweats and then a pair of nylons to flatted them down and THEN my jeans... LOL!!! and then I stopped worrying about it so much...
My theroy is a little different then most... I eat just as much as everyone else here... I love my Ensure and my Protein shakes!!! But I also visualized myself at 135 for the last 2 years, though I started at 119 out of the hospital in July 07... and I knew I could... I now weigh (depending on the time of day)up to 138lbs!!! But I think some of that comes with age as well...
I hope everyone had a great holiday and HAPPY 2009!!!
Sarah

SarahJean1976

Good morning ALi...
Like everyone else on here has said, 5 lbs in one month?? Is your nutrutionist new to the CF world??? Over the last 32 years I have met my fair share of doctors and I have found myself asking that question often... LOL! At times I have had to explain stuff to doctors, and then I still get the bill!!! LOL... As an age it says "young", so I am not sure how old you are, but as a teen I weighed about 115lbs and was 5'9... I was skinny and I HATED IT!!! I would wear sweats and then a pair of nylons to flatted them down and THEN my jeans... LOL!!! and then I stopped worrying about it so much...
My theroy is a little different then most... I eat just as much as everyone else here... I love my Ensure and my Protein shakes!!! But I also visualized myself at 135 for the last 2 years, though I started at 119 out of the hospital in July 07... and I knew I could... I now weigh (depending on the time of day)up to 138lbs!!! But I think some of that comes with age as well...
Sarah

SarahJean1976

Good morning ALi...
Sarah

SarahJean1976

Good morning ALi...
Sarah

SarahJean1976

Good morning ALi...
<br />Like everyone else on here has said, 5 lbs in one month?? Is your nutrutionist new to the CF world??? Over the last 32 years I have met my fair share of doctors and I have found myself asking that question often... LOL! At times I have had to explain stuff to doctors, and then I still get the bill!!! LOL... As an age it says "young", so I am not sure how old you are, but as a teen I weighed about 115lbs and was 5'9... I was skinny and I HATED IT!!! I would wear sweats and then a pair of nylons to flatted them down and THEN my jeans... LOL!!! and then I stopped worrying about it so much...
<br />My theroy is a little different then most... I eat just as much as everyone else here... I love my Ensure and my Protein shakes!!! But I also visualized myself at 135 for the last 2 years, though I started at 119 out of the hospital in July 07... and I knew I could... I now weigh (depending on the time of day)up to 138lbs!!! But I think some of that comes with age as well...
<br />I hope everyone had a great holiday and HAPPY 2009!!!
<br />Sarah