I need info about CF

JRaeCollins

I am new to this site and am looking for some info regarding my sons diagnosis. He is six weeks old and has two mutations for CF but I don't really understand how the two work together. He has one heterozygous Delta F508 mutation which I believe is a common one. The other mutation is (TG)11-5T variant. Can anyone help explain to me what I am dealing with? From what I have been reading, he may not have the full symptoms of CF. He may be infertile due to the CBAVD, or he may have little or no symptoms of CF and simply be a carrier. We are still waiting to confirm the blood tests so in the meantime, any help in understanding these two mutations would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Mother to Cody 2 1/2 years, no known CF
Mother to Cage, 6 weeks, diagnosed with two mutations

JRaeCollins

I am new to this site and am looking for some info regarding my sons diagnosis. He is six weeks old and has two mutations for CF but I don't really understand how the two work together. He has one heterozygous Delta F508 mutation which I believe is a common one. The other mutation is (TG)11-5T variant. Can anyone help explain to me what I am dealing with? From what I have been reading, he may not have the full symptoms of CF. He may be infertile due to the CBAVD, or he may have little or no symptoms of CF and simply be a carrier. We are still waiting to confirm the blood tests so in the meantime, any help in understanding these two mutations would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

JRaeCollins

Thanks,
Jessica

JRaeCollins

Thanks,
Jessica

JRaeCollins

Thanks,
Jessica

LouLou

try PMing bonniebaby she has TG12-5T. I don't know if this is similar to your son's TG11-5T but maybe she'll have some advice.

LouLou

try PMing bonniebaby she has TG12-5T. I don't know if this is similar to your son's TG11-5T but maybe she'll have some advice.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

S

sdelorenzo

Jessica,
I posted your question to Steve in the "Welcome Ambry Genetics" section. Click on "last" above. Hopefully he will be able to answer your question on whether your son has cf.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Jessica,
I posted your question to Steve in the "Welcome Ambry Genetics" section. Click on "last" above. Hopefully he will be able to answer your question on whether your son has cf.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Jessica,
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Jessica,
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Jessica,
Sharon

clawson5104

My son was diagnosed "atypical" CF in May '07. He has R117H with 5T/11TG. I was told that this meant he has one mutation FOR SURE, and the variant "ACTS" like a second mutation. I hope that helps.

In my son's case because he has the R117H his CF should be somewhat "mild" in comparison to other CFers. But I don't personally believe they KNOW,,,for the simple fact.....the mutation they found is not associated with respiratory problems, just reproductive according to the genetic counselor. well, this all started because of respiratory problems, and he continues to have them......so you cant really go by what they THINK. My son's pulmonologist told me regardless of what the genetic counselor said, we should consider and treat my son as a CFer. Preventive care is the main thing. So even when he's not sick, do his treatments, cpt, and everything. So far he is pacreatic sufficient, but he only weighs 25 1/2 lbs.....and he is 2 1/2yrs old. there is NO fat on this kid except his tiny little butt!!lol.

I hope this helps, and you find the answers you're looking for,
Good Luck and keep us posted......

clawson5104

My son was diagnosed "atypical" CF in May '07. He has R117H with 5T/11TG. I was told that this meant he has one mutation FOR SURE, and the variant "ACTS" like a second mutation. I hope that helps.

In my son's case because he has the R117H his CF should be somewhat "mild" in comparison to other CFers. But I don't personally believe they KNOW,,,for the simple fact.....the mutation they found is not associated with respiratory problems, just reproductive according to the genetic counselor. well, this all started because of respiratory problems, and he continues to have them......so you cant really go by what they THINK. My son's pulmonologist told me regardless of what the genetic counselor said, we should consider and treat my son as a CFer. Preventive care is the main thing. So even when he's not sick, do his treatments, cpt, and everything. So far he is pacreatic sufficient, but he only weighs 25 1/2 lbs.....and he is 2 1/2yrs old. there is NO fat on this kid except his tiny little butt!!lol.

clawson5104

clawson5104

clawson5104