I thought 30 was normal?!

letefk

Most people think of CF genes as a recessive; you have to have both to have any symptoms. In fact, there is a lot of evidence that many carriers (people with only one gene) have milder conditions that are related to CF. So in my family, we have lots of sinus issues. In my husband's family, they have GI issues and some asthma. Neither family had any history of CF (that we know of). However, when we realized the gene was in the family, we could see the effects it was having on those that (most likely) carry the gene. There are actually several different genes involved in determining how CF gets expressed, and it is common that there are histories of milder respiratory, sinus, or GI issues in the families that carry the gene.

Of course, this does not mean that is what is happening here. But I do think it would have made us test the girls sooner if we had realized that there WAS evidence in our family histories. Given what you say, I would think it would be very wise to make sure you can rule CF out. If it is CF, the earlier you know, the better.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

letefk

Most people think of CF genes as a recessive; you have to have both to have any symptoms. In fact, there is a lot of evidence that many carriers (people with only one gene) have milder conditions that are related to CF. So in my family, we have lots of sinus issues. In my husband's family, they have GI issues and some asthma. Neither family had any history of CF (that we know of). However, when we realized the gene was in the family, we could see the effects it was having on those that (most likely) carry the gene. There are actually several different genes involved in determining how CF gets expressed, and it is common that there are histories of milder respiratory, sinus, or GI issues in the families that carry the gene.

Of course, this does not mean that is what is happening here. But I do think it would have made us test the girls sooner if we had realized that there WAS evidence in our family histories. Given what you say, I would think it would be very wise to make sure you can rule CF out. If it is CF, the earlier you know, the better.

letefk

letefk

letefk

<br />
<br />Of course, this does not mean that is what is happening here. But I do think it would have made us test the girls sooner if we had realized that there WAS evidence in our family histories. Given what you say, I would think it would be very wise to make sure you can rule CF out. If it is CF, the earlier you know, the better.
<br />
<br />Good luck, and keep us posted.

H

hopesiris

My sweat test was 36 and my doc told me that anything 30+ is cause for concern. Genetic testing makes sense.

H

hopesiris

My sweat test was 36 and my doc told me that anything 30+ is cause for concern. Genetic testing makes sense.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris