Ibuprofen tto treat inflamation

Blue

So I came down with a serious cough. I decided to wait on calling my doctor because I was just sick 2 months ago and my doctors first response is ALWAYS to say they will be hospitalizing me after two weeks if I'm not back to baseline on oral antibiotics. I've only been in the hospital for CF once since I was 2 years old (and I'm 30), so let's just say I'm hospital averse.

That being said, a couple days into this cough I started taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen 3 times per day along with albuterol/hypersal 4 times per day and Pulmozyme 2 times per day. When the ibuprofen is in full affect (I feel tremendous) and my lung inflammation is reduce to where I can cough and effectively clear my lungs until it wears off. I know there are other drugs such as Predisone that have the same affect but they gerenally carry much more daunting side effects. Has anyone been prescribed long term Ibuprofen? If so, can you tell a difference and what is the dose?

Note: What I'm trying has not been doctor approved for CF. I was however prescribed 800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times per day for a foot injury, so I know it's safe for me in the short term. I plan to discuss this with my doctors.

ccsalema

Our doc put our then 10 year old on high-dose ibu for a year or so for polyps. Sadly, 10 year olds don't give good feedback about how they feel...we stopped it after a while b/c he is highly active in sports and worried that he could get hurt by big impacts. I believe it is used by some Pulms, not all, as another tool.

My son was on high doses of ibuprofen (can't remember how much but it was a large amount) and after a couple of months he developed a lot of stomach pain and aches. He has trouble with his GI anyway so we went off the ibuprofen. I have heard that often CF teams use this to help reduce inflamation over the long haul and it's supposed to help reduce hospitalizations. It could be good, but it was too much for my son (he was 12 yrs when taking this).

chris27rocker

Another consideration - I'm prone to bleeding, and I noticed a definite correlation between Ibuprofen and minor hemoptysis and nosebleeds. Just something to watch for.

B

bookperson

Hi! I'm not new here, but I had to re-register to reply on the forums. I never posted much in the past.

I was in the 1994 clinical trial for high-dose ibuprofen to control inflammation in CF. I may have been an outlier, since it seems that the results of the trial were positive, but I ended up in the ICU with severe stomach bleeding. If you want to proceed, I would be extremely cautious and look out for warning signs of internal bleeding (paleness, dizziness, low bp, fainting, and black/bloody stools).

4hats

I am prone to bleeding so my doctor told me never to take ibuprofen again. The last time I took advil it contributed to a bad case of hemoptysis.

rubyroselee

Hello,

I was also on the high-dose Ibuprofen treatment, for 13 years. I started at the age of 13 and it worked wonders for me. At my highest dose I took 3200mg/day. My reflux symptoms did not begin until I started the Ibuprofen, and continued to get worse over the years. I never had any side effects other than the reflux until the last couple years (age 25-26). I started to get severe stomach pains (epigastric area) and had an upper endoscopy to find I had gastritis. Because I was planning on getting pregnant at that time, I decided it was time to come off the Ibuprofen.

I definitely think that the Ibuprofen helped me significantly. It helped me gain weight, kept my inflammation down, and helped maintain my lung function. I do not regret the treatment at all. However, I now deal with severe reflux, which may or may not be directly related to the Ibuprofen and could just be from CF.

It's definitely a good med, but you have to be very cautious of stomach, kidney, and bleeding issues.

Grendel

I put myself on my own Ibuprofen therapy years ago and never had a problem. I similarly felt a significant benefit to taking the Ibuprofen, however, as my FEV1 baseline score dropped into the 50%s and 40%s I noticed a correlation between hemoptysis and Ibuprofen. So I slowed down on the Advil and started taking it only I felt really crappy. Now I have to be cautious about how much and for how long I take Advil in order to avoid hemoptysis. My physicians are vocal about their concerns and advise caution with Advil. To offset my risks I take vitamin K or Mephyton every other day (5mg).

Printer

Blue:

At 30 years of age, you are no longer a child. It is time to stop being "hospital averse". This attitude will only shorten your life and reduce the quality of the life that you have.

Bill

rubyroselee

Well, I can say that I also feel "hospital averse" and know exactly what Blue is saying. In my years of working in the medical field, I will stay away from the hospital at all costs, lol. I know I will stay healthier at home than if I were in the hospital and prefer to do whatever I can at home.