If I were to do a high protein/fat crash diet, would that be ok?

Enzo2311

So I wanted to know. Would it be ok if I did the Rapid Fat Loss diet by Lyle McDonald? It's a high protein diet that burns a lot of fat while burns as little muscle as possible (it burns very little, if any muscle). It's a diet where I'm supposed to eat around 1200 calories, but considering I have CF I have been eating 1500-1600 calories.

Would this diet actually help me burn fat? Because I have CF, would my results be different than someone else who did this diet and didnt have CF? If so, what would the differences be? In this diet, you're allowed one carb day where you eat as much as you want. Which I will make mine this Saturday for a party Im going to.

SoyaSauce

Fad diets, yo-yo dieting, crash diets, anything in a pill, is terrible for anyone WITH-OUT cf, and a would be a disaster for a person with CF. 1200 calories for a person with CF is not enough by a long shot, and low even for a normal person.

If your one of the lucky over weight CFers, I suggest you have a long talk with a CF nutritionist, and starting an exercise program.

bcl0328

Never cut calories. Work out more, work harder, do cardio. Just burn the fat and don't try to limit calories.

Do you ever talk to a dietitian or nutritionist? I have been reading into your post history and you seem to be asking a lot of questions about diet and calories. You seem to be misinformed about a lot of things and should really see a professional.

Don't limit your enzymes, don't eat food without them, don't limit calories, don't try fat loss products. We have CF and are not like normal people.

kmhbeauty

That kinda stuff never works for the long term. The secret to loosing weight is eating healthy and working out. Look into a nutribullet, make a fruit/veggie shake with every meal, add some protein (chicken, tofu) and a carb ( rice, faro). Cut out saturated and transfat, eat mosly monounsaturated fat. No fast food, soda, or juice at store, only water. No butter ( smart balance and olive oil only) no mayo, try hummus instead. You can make you own hummus with the nurtibullet. Cut out cheese and milk sub with soy cheese and rice, almond, soy milk. Just some suggestions that have worked well for me. Im a healthy 5'7 and 150 pounds. I eat healthy but I just need to add exercising into my life.

running4life

Lyle McDonald's diet is for people who want to lose a bit of weight because of a show or competition. It puts your body into ketosis which burns fat. Skip that - it's hard to conform to long term and you probably don't need it. Food is fuel and if you really do need to loose weight, discuss with your nutritionist. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If you don't have any muscle to begin with, cutting fat isn't going to reveal anything but a skinny fat body. You may be better off eating at a surplus and lifting HEAVY.

I'm going to disagree with you, kmhbeauty - Mayo and butter are just fine. Our bodies need fat. I am at a healthy weight, exercise daily and hard, and eat a very clean diet. I don't have weight issues and can and will gain weight easily.

Eat a healthy, clean diet, eat foods that aren't processed. Chicken, ground turkey, beef, tuna, oats, brown rice, whole milk, cheese, peanut butter, vegetables and fruits, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, etc.

Enzo2311

Fad diets, yo-yo dieting, crash diets, anything in a pill, is terrible for anyone WITH-OUT cf, and a would be a disaster for a person with CF. 1200 calories for a person with CF is not enough by a long shot, and low even for a normal person.

If your one of the lucky over weight CFers, I suggest you have a long talk with a CF nutritionist, and starting an exercise program.
Never cut calories. Work out more, work harder, do cardio. Just burn the fat and don't try to limit calories.

Do you ever talk to a dietitian or nutritionist? I have been reading into your post history and you seem to be asking a lot of questions about diet and calories. You seem to be misinformed about a lot of things and should really see a professional.

Don't limit your enzymes, don't eat food without them, don't limit calories, don't try fat loss products. We have CF and are not like normal people.
That kinda stuff never works for the long term. The secret to loosing weight is eating healthy and working out. Look into a nutribullet, make a fruit/veggie shake with every meal, add some protein (chicken, tofu) and a carb ( rice, faro). Cut out saturated and transfat, eat mosly monounsaturated fat. No fast food, soda, or juice at store, only water. No butter ( smart balance and olive oil only) no mayo, try hummus instead. You can make you own hummus with the nurtibullet. Cut out cheese and milk sub with soy cheese and rice, almond, soy milk. Just some suggestions that have worked well for me. Im a healthy 5'7 and 150 pounds. I eat healthy but I just need to add exercising into my life.

Everyone:
I don't wanna lose weight, I wanna lose fat. My midsection is a bit fatty looking, I'm at a decent weight (156 lb.).
Lyle McDonald's diet is for people who want to lose a bit of weight because of a show or competition. It puts your body into ketosis which burns fat. Skip that - it's hard to conform to long term and you probably don't need it. Food is fuel and if you really do need to loose weight, discuss with your nutritionist. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If you don't have any muscle to begin with, cutting fat isn't going to reveal anything but a skinny fat body. You may be better off eating at a surplus and lifting HEAVY.

I'm going to disagree with you, kmhbeauty - Mayo and butter are just fine. Our bodies need fat. I am at a healthy weight, exercise daily and hard, and eat a very clean diet. I don't have weight issues and can and will gain weight easily.

Eat a healthy, clean diet, eat foods that aren't processed. Chicken, ground turkey, beef, tuna, oats, brown rice, whole milk, cheese, peanut butter, vegetables and fruits, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, etc.

thats how I've been eating. Heres what I've been eating for the last 2 days (including today. When I say milk, it's always 2%
day 1
chicken breast (9 oz)
2 1/2 cups of 2% milk
1/2 avocado

1 cup of green peas

Pretzel roll
8 oz of ny strip steak (grilled)
2 1/2 cups of milk

Day 2
7 oz chicken breast
2 1/2 cups of milk

1 cup of milk
1/2 avocado

3 1/2 cups of milk
8 oz ny strip steak (grilled)

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Not every weight issue involving CF is being underweight. It is admirable to want the best possible body in the best possible shape. I have no idea if a diet is going to be effective. Protein diets, sometimes along with exercise or medicine to jump start your metabolism causes the body to start stripping lipids and other fats to offset high serum levels of protein. It’s a trick but if you religiously follow the diet AND keep up on your fat soluble vitamins, other vitamins, minerals, liquids, etc. you may be successful. Protein shock diets have been around at least fifty years.

This diet and its evil twin, all carbohydrate diets, sort of tell a story in their effective extremes. A balanced diet is obviously healthy so why would a deliberate imbalance in the diet achieve weight loss? This very problem promotes the more common skinny bodies with malabsorption caused by CF. With the diet, by starving the body of sugar and carbohydrate intake, fat cells are altered to release energy stores rather than the function of energy storage they can get locked in. That’s the general idea behind the diet.

“Fad” diets almost imply danger. Quick fix, crash and burn diets can be effective but it often begets an eating disorder of its own. I am not given to envy but a fellow engineer I traveled with in my twenties made me green. Pidge loved food and to eat. And Pidge was a chronic dieter. When he was on his all protein diet, a week in the field meant enduring a daily lip-smacking experience as he downed a huge can of salmon in a shared pick-up cab. Bleah! I warned him of the impending hypoglycemic attack but he had bought the sales pitch, hook, line and salmon. Back at headquarters for a week, I heard a secretary yelling for help in Pidge’s cubicle and…… About three times a year we could count on a crisis, usually involving Pidge on a gurney, being wheeled out of the office building. That's the crash and burn part of a protein diet self prescribed.

The idea of going off or reducing enzymes to lose weight has been suggested in prior weeks and if you are taking enzymes, you might want to have the quantity you take evaluated. Too little enzyme just makes a person sick. Too much does the same but is more dangerous in the near long term. If your digestion is causing the type of nutritional imbalance that promotes too much body fat (BF), an answer might be found there. At least you may achieve some improvement in your battle for good health.

Last but far from least goes back to something discussed recently as well. If you don’t have an endocrinologist involved in your weight balance, consider enlisting one. With a disease like CF, an expert like an endocrinologist is potentially important and valuable well beyond diabetes.

LL