I'm a carrier...

K

Keepercjr

Nitzi - the next step is testing the baby's father. If he is a carrier, then you have the option to have an amnio to determine if the fetus has CF. If you will carry the baby CF or not then you could decline the amnio (if you wanted) and just have the doctors watch closely for signs of CF in the baby - like having a blockage in the bowel. And then after birth you could have the baby tested to determine CF status.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

K

Keepercjr

Nitzi - the next step is testing the baby's father. If he is a carrier, then you have the option to have an amnio to determine if the fetus has CF. If you will carry the baby CF or not then you could decline the amnio (if you wanted) and just have the doctors watch closely for signs of CF in the baby - like having a blockage in the bowel. And then after birth you could have the baby tested to determine CF status.

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

CartersMom

We have a two year old Cfer. At the moment, we are just in the process of applying to the IVF program (in Canada) so that we can have PGD. Our embryos will have to be sent to the States for this testing. I am estimating it will cost around $12 000-15 000 but we have yet to sit down and discuss this with anyone at the clinic. I have to say that I feel some resentment at having to go through this when we are perfectly capable of having more children naturally. But, we've decided this is the right choice for us. I know some people have given us the feeling that we are crazy for not just trying naturally (with the option of abortion). Not for us. I look at my son, and how much we love him, and how much joy he brings us and could not even imagine terminating a pregnancy if the child has CF. The wait list for IVF here is 3-6 months before we can get a consultation, then 2-5 months before starting treatment. My fear is that we will not become pregnant the first time (or that we'll have twins!!!lol). We will re-evaluate our options if we do not become pregnant. Having a sperm-donor would definitely be easier, and a lot less expensive (less than $1000 here). But for now, we will try to have a child that is biologically both of ours. Just thought I would let you know what we have decided. It is a difficult and personal decision. Hope it helps.

CartersMom

We have a two year old Cfer. At the moment, we are just in the process of applying to the IVF program (in Canada) so that we can have PGD. Our embryos will have to be sent to the States for this testing. I am estimating it will cost around $12 000-15 000 but we have yet to sit down and discuss this with anyone at the clinic. I have to say that I feel some resentment at having to go through this when we are perfectly capable of having more children naturally. But, we've decided this is the right choice for us. I know some people have given us the feeling that we are crazy for not just trying naturally (with the option of abortion). Not for us. I look at my son, and how much we love him, and how much joy he brings us and could not even imagine terminating a pregnancy if the child has CF. The wait list for IVF here is 3-6 months before we can get a consultation, then 2-5 months before starting treatment. My fear is that we will not become pregnant the first time (or that we'll have twins!!!lol). We will re-evaluate our options if we do not become pregnant. Having a sperm-donor would definitely be easier, and a lot less expensive (less than $1000 here). But for now, we will try to have a child that is biologically both of ours. Just thought I would let you know what we have decided. It is a difficult and personal decision. Hope it helps.

CartersMom

CartersMom

CartersMom

G

gabrielle

I am 29 with CF and my fiancee found out that he is a carrier last night. We are "tying the knot" very soon and are devastated by this news. The feelings that we are experiencing closely mimic the feelings shared on this site. I know how hard having CF has been and I also have lost 15 friends to the same disease. I am not comfortable "rolling the dice" and possible passing this disease on to our child. While I understand that there have been tremendous advances made in the care of CF, I also know that even with advances, this disease can and does cause intense physical and emotional pain. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I had a child with CF and I had to watch him or her suffer in the way that I (and my friends) have.

Unfotunately, because I have had blood clots in the past, IVF isn't a legitimate option because I cannot tolerate the hormones necesary to stimulate hormore growth. The other option is to test our baby in utero and then make a choice to continue with or terminate the pregnancy. Obviously adoption is another choice but it has always been my dream to have a biological baby of my own.

Wow...This is all really emotionally draining.

G

gabrielle

I am 29 with CF and my fiancee found out that he is a carrier last night. We are "tying the knot" very soon and are devastated by this news. The feelings that we are experiencing closely mimic the feelings shared on this site. I know how hard having CF has been and I also have lost 15 friends to the same disease. I am not comfortable "rolling the dice" and possible passing this disease on to our child. While I understand that there have been tremendous advances made in the care of CF, I also know that even with advances, this disease can and does cause intense physical and emotional pain. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I had a child with CF and I had to watch him or her suffer in the way that I (and my friends) have.

Unfotunately, because I have had blood clots in the past, IVF isn't a legitimate option because I cannot tolerate the hormones necesary to stimulate hormore growth. The other option is to test our baby in utero and then make a choice to continue with or terminate the pregnancy. Obviously adoption is another choice but it has always been my dream to have a biological baby of my own.

G

gabrielle

G

gabrielle

G

gabrielle

<br />
<br />Unfotunately, because I have had blood clots in the past, IVF isn't a legitimate option because I cannot tolerate the hormones necesary to stimulate hormore growth. The other option is to test our baby in utero and then make a choice to continue with or terminate the pregnancy. Obviously adoption is another choice but it has always been my dream to have a biological baby of my own.
<br />
<br />Wow...This is all really emotionally draining.