In HORRIBLE shape, thanks to the dr's

Kelli

Well I was in the hospital for 6 weeks this summer. The dr said it started w/an asthma attack, whatever, I don't buy it. Then said I have vocal cord dysfunction, again, whatever. And then they said I had anxiety attacts when I was admitted, tell me why then, my bp was 80/120. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well they put me on HIGH doses of meds, painkillers, and prednisone FOR SIX WEEKS, 44 DAYS TO BE EXACT.

I had a PICC line placed, which then my dr wanted that to be a Power PICC (3 leads) so they messed with it. I told my nurse that night that my arm was swelling and asked her to call my dr. She wouldn't, just said "we'd watch it," and she got me a heating pad. So now I have a blood clot they couldn't/wouldn't treat. I have a 20% chance it will dislodge and kill me.

Then to top it off, I had kidney failure requiring kidney dialysis. That was a real treat, which included 2 surgeries to place catheters. I had to do that for over a month (my kidneys did reverse, thank you Lord!!).

I have major hearing loss and ringing in my ears due to over-dosing medication.

So after a huge long list of everything that went wrong, given way too high of doeses of abx (which they admit to), not being listened to, etc. Do I have any rights to complain? I want to sue them to teach them NEVER to do this to another CF patient...ever! It was horrible and now I'm left paying the HUGE bill for 6 weeks in the hospital and not to mention side effects that will never go away.

Advice please,
Kelli
31 f CF

oh, and I'm really considering changing CF clinics.

Kelli

Well I was in the hospital for 6 weeks this summer. The dr said it started w/an asthma attack, whatever, I don't buy it. Then said I have vocal cord dysfunction, again, whatever. And then they said I had anxiety attacts when I was admitted, tell me why then, my bp was 80/120. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well they put me on HIGH doses of meds, painkillers, and prednisone FOR SIX WEEKS, 44 DAYS TO BE EXACT.

I had a PICC line placed, which then my dr wanted that to be a Power PICC (3 leads) so they messed with it. I told my nurse that night that my arm was swelling and asked her to call my dr. She wouldn't, just said "we'd watch it," and she got me a heating pad. So now I have a blood clot they couldn't/wouldn't treat. I have a 20% chance it will dislodge and kill me.

Then to top it off, I had kidney failure requiring kidney dialysis. That was a real treat, which included 2 surgeries to place catheters. I had to do that for over a month (my kidneys did reverse, thank you Lord!!).

So after a huge long list of everything that went wrong, given way too high of doeses of abx (which they admit to), not being listened to, etc. Do I have any rights to complain? I want to sue them to teach them NEVER to do this to another CF patient...ever! It was horrible and now I'm left paying the HUGE bill for 6 weeks in the hospital and not to mention side effects that will never go away.

Advice please,
Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

Advice please,
Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

Advice please,
Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

<br />
<br />Well they put me on HIGH doses of meds, painkillers, and prednisone FOR SIX WEEKS, 44 DAYS TO BE EXACT.
<br />
<br />I had a PICC line placed, which then my dr wanted that to be a Power PICC (3 leads) so they messed with it. I told my nurse that night that my arm was swelling and asked her to call my dr. She wouldn't, just said "we'd watch it," and she got me a heating pad. So now I have a blood clot they couldn't/wouldn't treat. I have a 20% chance it will dislodge and kill me.
<br />
<br />Then to top it off, I had kidney failure requiring kidney dialysis. That was a real treat, which included 2 surgeries to place catheters. I had to do that for over a month (my kidneys did reverse, thank you Lord!!).
<br />
<br />I have major hearing loss and ringing in my ears due to over-dosing medication.
<br />
<br />So after a huge long list of everything that went wrong, given way too high of doeses of abx (which they admit to), not being listened to, etc. Do I have any rights to complain? I want to sue them to teach them NEVER to do this to another CF patient...ever! It was horrible and now I'm left paying the HUGE bill for 6 weeks in the hospital and not to mention side effects that will never go away.
<br />
<br />Advice please,
<br />Kelli
<br />31 f CF
<br />
<br />oh, and I'm really considering changing CF clinics.
<br />

Tammy15

How awful by chance is this hopsital a teaching one? I know most places have a patient advocate which I would write a letter and send it certified , do nothing verbal. Also when my daughter has a social worker thats attached to the clinic he is pretty good. I would also search the internet and see if there is a Peer review board for medical doctors I know there is one for dentists. Also you may want to get a copy of your records. My mother was in a hospital lung problems not CF, they overdosed her on predisone and did a few other things like after gall bladder surgery waited a day before placing those surgical stockings. One doctor admitted overdose but when I brought it up the back peddling was so fast my head spinned. I should have gotten my mothers records then after she passed the records mysteriously disappeared. I would also check internet for lawyers as you mention some permanent damage due to this

Tammy15

How awful by chance is this hopsital a teaching one? I know most places have a patient advocate which I would write a letter and send it certified , do nothing verbal. Also when my daughter has a social worker thats attached to the clinic he is pretty good. I would also search the internet and see if there is a Peer review board for medical doctors I know there is one for dentists. Also you may want to get a copy of your records. My mother was in a hospital lung problems not CF, they overdosed her on predisone and did a few other things like after gall bladder surgery waited a day before placing those surgical stockings. One doctor admitted overdose but when I brought it up the back peddling was so fast my head spinned. I should have gotten my mothers records then after she passed the records mysteriously disappeared. I would also check internet for lawyers as you mention some permanent damage due to this

Tammy15

Tammy15

Tammy15

tleigh

If this was in fact a teaching hospital-sometimes the attending doc/doc in charge of the floor prescribes things that do not follow cf protocol! During my hospital stay in May I had one day where 9 different docs, from 3 specialties, were in and out. Each prescribing the next thing to be done. Thankfully, I was able to let them know I was not going to do anything w/out them and/or me consulting my CF doc. I have also refused treatments while in the hospital. I'm sorry that you had such a cruddy experience-know that you definitely do have other options.

tleigh

If this was in fact a teaching hospital-sometimes the attending doc/doc in charge of the floor prescribes things that do not follow cf protocol! During my hospital stay in May I had one day where 9 different docs, from 3 specialties, were in and out. Each prescribing the next thing to be done. Thankfully, I was able to let them know I was not going to do anything w/out them and/or me consulting my CF doc. I have also refused treatments while in the hospital. I'm sorry that you had such a cruddy experience-know that you definitely do have other options.

tleigh

tleigh

tleigh

BreatheLife

Kelli,

I'm in no way saying that something didn't go wrong with your hospitalization, but I wanted to tell you something about the asthma attacks and vocal cord dysfunction.

I get asthma attacks and was in the doctor's office having troubles breathing and he asked if I was having troubles breathing in or out. I was having troubles breathing in and when I did breathe in he said he heard a noise in my throat. He sent me to ENT where they put a scope down my throat and told me to breathe in. I watched on a screen in front of me as the muscles in my throat closed, a lot, when I breathed in. The harder I try to breathe in when I am having an asthma attack or just general reactivity in my lungs, the more my throat muscles have a tendency to shut down.

The lady I saw for the vocal cord dysfunction taught me a few ways to breathe that really do work, but require a lot of concentration. One is to make an "O" shape with your mouth and to imagine you are breathing through a tube, this opens up your throat and allows you to breathe better.

I hope this helps and sorry for all the difficulties you had during your hospitalization.

Kristi

BreatheLife

Kelli,

I'm in no way saying that something didn't go wrong with your hospitalization, but I wanted to tell you something about the asthma attacks and vocal cord dysfunction.

I get asthma attacks and was in the doctor's office having troubles breathing and he asked if I was having troubles breathing in or out. I was having troubles breathing in and when I did breathe in he said he heard a noise in my throat. He sent me to ENT where they put a scope down my throat and told me to breathe in. I watched on a screen in front of me as the muscles in my throat closed, a lot, when I breathed in. The harder I try to breathe in when I am having an asthma attack or just general reactivity in my lungs, the more my throat muscles have a tendency to shut down.

The lady I saw for the vocal cord dysfunction taught me a few ways to breathe that really do work, but require a lot of concentration. One is to make an "O" shape with your mouth and to imagine you are breathing through a tube, this opens up your throat and allows you to breathe better.

I hope this helps and sorry for all the difficulties you had during your hospitalization.

Kristi

BreatheLife

Kelli,

Kristi

BreatheLife

Kelli,

Kristi

BreatheLife

Kelli,
<br />
<br />I'm in no way saying that something didn't go wrong with your hospitalization, but I wanted to tell you something about the asthma attacks and vocal cord dysfunction.
<br />
<br />I get asthma attacks and was in the doctor's office having troubles breathing and he asked if I was having troubles breathing in or out. I was having troubles breathing in and when I did breathe in he said he heard a noise in my throat. He sent me to ENT where they put a scope down my throat and told me to breathe in. I watched on a screen in front of me as the muscles in my throat closed, a lot, when I breathed in. The harder I try to breathe in when I am having an asthma attack or just general reactivity in my lungs, the more my throat muscles have a tendency to shut down.
<br />
<br />The lady I saw for the vocal cord dysfunction taught me a few ways to breathe that really do work, but require a lot of concentration. One is to make an "O" shape with your mouth and to imagine you are breathing through a tube, this opens up your throat and allows you to breathe better.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps and sorry for all the difficulties you had during your hospitalization.
<br />
<br />Kristi