In the hospital again...advice needed

S

sdelorenzo

I am replying again. So Ellie has had pneumonia once this past month and she was fine before that? Why was she just admitted? Why do they think she is aspirating? Both of my children had pneumonia at three or four months of age. At the time they said my daughter was due to aspirating (upper right lobe). She was always vomiting. Later it was found out by an endoscopy that her intestines were irritated most likely due to an allergy. Once we switched her milk, she stopped vomiting. Six years later my daughter has not had pneumonia again thankfully. She got the nissen last year because she needed a g-tube to help her gain weight. Her GI suggested that Sophia needed an endoscopy to see if she had reflux. We thought Sophia didn't have reflux problems since she was a baby. But she did have night coughing sometimes which could have been reflux related. The GI said the endoscopy showed one of the worst cases of reflux she has seen. Also, my daughter's pft had been falling last year. It took us about 6 months to finally go through with the Nissen. I also got a second opinion from another GI and spoke to a few different surgeons.

My son had pneumonia about 6 weeks ago and his cough is just now getting a lot better. His x-rays had not improved after a month. It just takes a while to get better.

My son had reflux problems as a baby too. They say once babies start sitting up they don't reflux as much. I think that is true. We sat both of my kids upright in a bouncy seat instead of placing them on their backs during the day.

It is a very hard decision to go ahead with a nissen. Unless it is an emergency, I wouldn't rush into it.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

I am replying again. So Ellie has had pneumonia once this past month and she was fine before that? Why was she just admitted? Why do they think she is aspirating? Both of my children had pneumonia at three or four months of age. At the time they said my daughter was due to aspirating (upper right lobe). She was always vomiting. Later it was found out by an endoscopy that her intestines were irritated most likely due to an allergy. Once we switched her milk, she stopped vomiting. Six years later my daughter has not had pneumonia again thankfully. She got the nissen last year because she needed a g-tube to help her gain weight. Her GI suggested that Sophia needed an endoscopy to see if she had reflux. We thought Sophia didn't have reflux problems since she was a baby. But she did have night coughing sometimes which could have been reflux related. The GI said the endoscopy showed one of the worst cases of reflux she has seen. Also, my daughter's pft had been falling last year. It took us about 6 months to finally go through with the Nissen. I also got a second opinion from another GI and spoke to a few different surgeons.

My son had pneumonia about 6 weeks ago and his cough is just now getting a lot better. His x-rays had not improved after a month. It just takes a while to get better.

My son had reflux problems as a baby too. They say once babies start sitting up they don't reflux as much. I think that is true. We sat both of my kids upright in a bouncy seat instead of placing them on their backs during the day.

It is a very hard decision to go ahead with a nissen. Unless it is an emergency, I wouldn't rush into it.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />
<br />My son had pneumonia about 6 weeks ago and his cough is just now getting a lot better. His x-rays had not improved after a month. It just takes a while to get better.
<br />
<br />My son had reflux problems as a baby too. They say once babies start sitting up they don't reflux as much. I think that is true. We sat both of my kids upright in a bouncy seat instead of placing them on their backs during the day.
<br />
<br />It is a very hard decision to go ahead with a nissen. Unless it is an emergency, I wouldn't rush into it.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf
<br />

kathiel

My daughter had a Nissen Jan 21, 2008 and to us it was the best thing ever. She doesn't vomit anymore and is gaining weight. She had some wretching for a week or two, but after her body adjusted she has done wonderful. She had to have the open nissen, something about her vomitting wasn't related to the reflux, so the surgeon wanted to put in stronger stitches than he could through laproscoic surgery. We went home on the 3rd day after surgery and within a week she was back to normal and is doing great.

kathiel

My daughter had a Nissen Jan 21, 2008 and to us it was the best thing ever. She doesn't vomit anymore and is gaining weight. She had some wretching for a week or two, but after her body adjusted she has done wonderful. She had to have the open nissen, something about her vomitting wasn't related to the reflux, so the surgeon wanted to put in stronger stitches than he could through laproscoic surgery. We went home on the 3rd day after surgery and within a week she was back to normal and is doing great.

kathiel

kathiel

kathiel

<br />
<br />

beccasmom

My daughter also had severe reflux as a baby. She was not gaining weight or growing. This is before they knew she had CF. We saw a GI who recommended a Nissan, but the surgeon did not want to do it because we had not done an adequate trial of medicine. We went and got a second opinion from another GI who put her on Prevacid twice a day, Reglan with every feeding, Tagamet twice a day. This helped some, after a month she was still having problems and he added Erythromycin 4 times a day. It was like a miracle, her symptoms got better within 2 days. She stayed on these meds for a year and never needed surgery. There is alot of evidence that Erythromycin and only Erythromycin not any of the related drugs works great for reflux. I did a google search after my daughter was put on it because I thought it was kind of a funny choice, but it worked well. She is now 22 months old, she was diagnosed with CF 2 months ago. Our pulmonologist says severe reflux is common in kids with CF and her severe reflux should have been a clue to her CF diagnosis months ago. The pulmonologist said although my daughter is currently not having reflux we still need to treat her aggressively for reflux so she is back on erythromycin since it worked well before.

beccasmom

My daughter also had severe reflux as a baby. She was not gaining weight or growing. This is before they knew she had CF. We saw a GI who recommended a Nissan, but the surgeon did not want to do it because we had not done an adequate trial of medicine. We went and got a second opinion from another GI who put her on Prevacid twice a day, Reglan with every feeding, Tagamet twice a day. This helped some, after a month she was still having problems and he added Erythromycin 4 times a day. It was like a miracle, her symptoms got better within 2 days. She stayed on these meds for a year and never needed surgery. There is alot of evidence that Erythromycin and only Erythromycin not any of the related drugs works great for reflux. I did a google search after my daughter was put on it because I thought it was kind of a funny choice, but it worked well. She is now 22 months old, she was diagnosed with CF 2 months ago. Our pulmonologist says severe reflux is common in kids with CF and her severe reflux should have been a clue to her CF diagnosis months ago. The pulmonologist said although my daughter is currently not having reflux we still need to treat her aggressively for reflux so she is back on erythromycin since it worked well before.

beccasmom

beccasmom

beccasmom

shimmereestar

Hi again,

So we are still here, probably will be for a couple of days. We are still talking about a Nissen, but not for a couple more weeks or months. We are on prevacid and regalan already, but we are going to try changing her diet for a little while. They think her coughing, wheezing, snottiness might be a asthma. So that's kind of where we are at. They are going to watch her for a couple of days. It's funny, her pulmonolgists really want the nissen, but the GI doctors only want to do it as a last result. So we are kind of getting conflicting messages and we want to be absolutely sure. The good news in all this is that her pnemonia is gone. They are going to go ahead and put her on flovent. I like the idea of the erthromycin and I will mention it to my doctor tomorrow when we see him. Does anyone know if the nissens make you gag? What about burping?

shimmereestar

Hi again,

So we are still here, probably will be for a couple of days. We are still talking about a Nissen, but not for a couple more weeks or months. We are on prevacid and regalan already, but we are going to try changing her diet for a little while. They think her coughing, wheezing, snottiness might be a asthma. So that's kind of where we are at. They are going to watch her for a couple of days. It's funny, her pulmonolgists really want the nissen, but the GI doctors only want to do it as a last result. So we are kind of getting conflicting messages and we want to be absolutely sure. The good news in all this is that her pnemonia is gone. They are going to go ahead and put her on flovent. I like the idea of the erthromycin and I will mention it to my doctor tomorrow when we see him. Does anyone know if the nissens make you gag? What about burping?

shimmereestar

Hi again,

shimmereestar

Hi again,

shimmereestar

Hi again,
<br />
<br />So we are still here, probably will be for a couple of days. We are still talking about a Nissen, but not for a couple more weeks or months. We are on prevacid and regalan already, but we are going to try changing her diet for a little while. They think her coughing, wheezing, snottiness might be a asthma. So that's kind of where we are at. They are going to watch her for a couple of days. It's funny, her pulmonolgists really want the nissen, but the GI doctors only want to do it as a last result. So we are kind of getting conflicting messages and we want to be absolutely sure. The good news in all this is that her pnemonia is gone. They are going to go ahead and put her on flovent. I like the idea of the erthromycin and I will mention it to my doctor tomorrow when we see him. Does anyone know if the nissens make you gag? What about burping?