Increased liver enzymes=borderline enlarged liver?

RebekahsMom

On Monday during Bek's care plan meeting, we were told that her liver enzymes were a bit elevated. They said that since she had been on the Vanc, that they weren't surprised by it, but they would keep an eye on it. She had an ultrasound done yesterday morning, and when I asked her doc today about the results, he said "95% good." I asked about the other 5%. He said she has a borderline enlarged liver, and they are going to have the liver team check it out.

I'm assuming that an enlarged liver would be a reason for the elevated liver enzymes. I've been talking to another CF mom here at the hospital, and she had told me that he has had a liver transplant. When I told her what I was told today, she said "That was Hubie. Have him check her spleen." (I don't remember what she said her name is on here, and I hope I spelled his name right.)

I'm just wondering what is in store for my daughter. Anyone else have any more info and/or advice??

RebekahsMom

On Monday during Bek's care plan meeting, we were told that her liver enzymes were a bit elevated. They said that since she had been on the Vanc, that they weren't surprised by it, but they would keep an eye on it. She had an ultrasound done yesterday morning, and when I asked her doc today about the results, he said "95% good." I asked about the other 5%. He said she has a borderline enlarged liver, and they are going to have the liver team check it out.

I'm assuming that an enlarged liver would be a reason for the elevated liver enzymes. I've been talking to another CF mom here at the hospital, and she had told me that he has had a liver transplant. When I told her what I was told today, she said "That was Hubie. Have him check her spleen." (I don't remember what she said her name is on here, and I hope I spelled his name right.)

I'm just wondering what is in store for my daughter. Anyone else have any more info and/or advice??

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

<br />
<br />I'm assuming that an enlarged liver would be a reason for the elevated liver enzymes. I've been talking to another CF mom here at the hospital, and she had told me that he has had a liver transplant. When I told her what I was told today, she said "That was Hubie. Have him check her spleen." (I don't remember what she said her name is on here, and I hope I spelled his name right.)
<br />
<br />I'm just wondering what is in store for my daughter. Anyone else have any more info and/or advice??

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall DS having an enlarged liver; however, he DID have elevated liver enzymes as a baby in the NICU and was put on ursodiol (bile salts). Figured it was due to TPN and/or IV abx, as the urso did the trick. He gets annual bloodwork to check his liver enzymes and function and I notice the doctors feel his abdomen as well.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall DS having an enlarged liver; however, he DID have elevated liver enzymes as a baby in the NICU and was put on ursodiol (bile salts). Figured it was due to TPN and/or IV abx, as the urso did the trick. He gets annual bloodwork to check his liver enzymes and function and I notice the doctors feel his abdomen as well.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

theLostMiler

I had elevated liver enzymes and had an ultrasound done but it was looking at the gall bladder (If I am remembering right). I was told that (due to my bugs) that we were only stopping the abx if my gall bladder duct was completely blocked which they were checking with the ultrasound, I think it might have been slighty blocked (as in contracted, the way I understood it). I didnt have any pain and my doctors were not too concerned. Now that I think about it, I am not sure if my enzyme levels went down or what, but basically I never heard anthing more about it.

That is my experience with increased liver enzymes.
I remember asking, is this because I had two margaritas while on home ivs HAHA... I dont drink often, but margaritas are my only drink because of the salt!

I was never told anything about enlarged liver though.

Good Luck

theLostMiler

I had elevated liver enzymes and had an ultrasound done but it was looking at the gall bladder (If I am remembering right). I was told that (due to my bugs) that we were only stopping the abx if my gall bladder duct was completely blocked which they were checking with the ultrasound, I think it might have been slighty blocked (as in contracted, the way I understood it). I didnt have any pain and my doctors were not too concerned. Now that I think about it, I am not sure if my enzyme levels went down or what, but basically I never heard anthing more about it.

I remember asking, is this because I had two margaritas while on home ivs HAHA... I dont drink often, but margaritas are my only drink because of the salt!

Good Luck

theLostMiler

Good Luck

theLostMiler

Good Luck

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />That is my experience with increased liver enzymes.
<br />I remember asking, is this because I had two margaritas while on home ivs HAHA... I dont drink often, but margaritas are my only drink because of the salt!
<br />
<br />I was never told anything about enlarged liver though.
<br />
<br />Good Luck
<br />

debs2girls

Last January we were told Cheyenne has this same problem. The doctor said "its CF progression, she is on her way to psorosis of the liver". She has been on Actigall every since. In December when she was in the hospital, she had all the blood work and stuff done again and it still the same, so at least it is not worse.

debs2girls

Last January we were told Cheyenne has this same problem. The doctor said "its CF progression, she is on her way to psorosis of the liver". She has been on Actigall every since. In December when she was in the hospital, she had all the blood work and stuff done again and it still the same, so at least it is not worse.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls