Infants culturing for various things?

CJPsMom

Has anyone had this experience? Our little guy has now cultured for this twice in the last 3 months. He wasn't symptomatic when we went to clinic last week, but over the last week, he's started coughing, he's eating less...*sigh*

Just wondering if anyone else had some guidance/advice on this. How concerned should we be?

CJPsMom

Has anyone had this experience? Our little guy has now cultured for this twice in the last 3 months. He wasn't symptomatic when we went to clinic last week, but over the last week, he's started coughing, he's eating less...*sigh*

Just wondering if anyone else had some guidance/advice on this. How concerned should we be?

CJPsMom

<br />
<br />Just wondering if anyone else had some guidance/advice on this. How concerned should we be?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS cultured when he was a baby and nobody seemed concerned though sometimes he'd also end up with an ear or sinus infection and would be put on augmentin and his symptoms cleared up -- still cultured it though.

It wasn't until he was put on zithromax at age 2 1/2 that his doctor mentioned that as a plus it should get rid of the H. flu., which it did.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS cultured when he was a baby and nobody seemed concerned though sometimes he'd also end up with an ear or sinus infection and would be put on augmentin and his symptoms cleared up -- still cultured it though.

It wasn't until he was put on zithromax at age 2 1/2 that his doctor mentioned that as a plus it should get rid of the H. flu., which it did.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />It wasn't until he was put on zithromax at age 2 1/2 that his doctor mentioned that as a plus it should get rid of the H. flu., which it did.

M

Mommafirst

H. Flu is VERY common in the under 5 set. Our CF doctor said that if you throat cultured most kids (CF or not) you'd probably find a subset that has H. Flu....a throat swab doesn't necessarily mean its in his lungs, since its such a common thing. If he starts to have symptoms it can mean that it has gotten into his lungs and should be treated.

For whatever reason, H. Flu is less of an issue as they get older and it becomes less likely to be cultured.

I know its scary to hear all these bugs and about your kiddos cultures. These bugs are EVERYWHERE!! You can't avoid them. So as CF moves forward, there will be more and more of them culturing in their lungs. Some of it is just luck, some of it is the impact of their lung mucus. I believe I read that 80% of all kids with CF will culture Pseudomonas by age 18.

Hang in there H. Flu can cause symptoms, but its usually not a big one to worry about.

M

Mommafirst

H. Flu is VERY common in the under 5 set. Our CF doctor said that if you throat cultured most kids (CF or not) you'd probably find a subset that has H. Flu....a throat swab doesn't necessarily mean its in his lungs, since its such a common thing. If he starts to have symptoms it can mean that it has gotten into his lungs and should be treated.

For whatever reason, H. Flu is less of an issue as they get older and it becomes less likely to be cultured.

I know its scary to hear all these bugs and about your kiddos cultures. These bugs are EVERYWHERE!! You can't avoid them. So as CF moves forward, there will be more and more of them culturing in their lungs. Some of it is just luck, some of it is the impact of their lung mucus. I believe I read that 80% of all kids with CF will culture Pseudomonas by age 18.

Hang in there H. Flu can cause symptoms, but its usually not a big one to worry about.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />For whatever reason, H. Flu is less of an issue as they get older and it becomes less likely to be cultured.
<br />
<br />I know its scary to hear all these bugs and about your kiddos cultures. These bugs are EVERYWHERE!! You can't avoid them. So as CF moves forward, there will be more and more of them culturing in their lungs. Some of it is just luck, some of it is the impact of their lung mucus. I believe I read that 80% of all kids with CF will culture Pseudomonas by age 18.
<br />
<br />Hang in there H. Flu can cause symptoms, but its usually not a big one to worry about.

K

Karenmichelle

My 4yr old had a bronch and he cultured 2,000,000 H. flu and 2,000,000 Moraxella catarrhalis....waiting for genetic results. He also was +cocci and +poly leukocytes. He just started the M W F azithromycin. Are these bacterias common in CF?

K

Karenmichelle

My 4yr old had a bronch and he cultured 2,000,000 H. flu and 2,000,000 Moraxella catarrhalis....waiting for genetic results. He also was +cocci and +poly leukocytes. He just started the M W F azithromycin. Are these bacterias common in CF?

K

Karenmichelle

CJPsMom

Thanks for the insight...unfortunately, he now has a viral infection as well, so we're on our second antibiotic (he couldn't tolerate the augmentin), nebs every 4 hours for the next 5 days, back on reflux meds to keep the antibiotic down and if he doesn't sound better today...steroids for 5 days.

So discouraged. Luckily, he's a happy baby and is still smiling!

CJPsMom

Thanks for the insight...unfortunately, he now has a viral infection as well, so we're on our second antibiotic (he couldn't tolerate the augmentin), nebs every 4 hours for the next 5 days, back on reflux meds to keep the antibiotic down and if he doesn't sound better today...steroids for 5 days.

So discouraged. Luckily, he's a happy baby and is still smiling!

CJPsMom

<br />
<br />So discouraged. Luckily, he's a happy baby and is still smiling!