inhaled colistin, few questions

stevehof

Hi, my Kaiser pulmo doc has arranged for me to try inhaled Colistin. This is a first for Kaiser So Cal and a first for me. I see that many of you guys who are using Colistin use 75mg twice a day. My CF friend who is seen at the CF center at UCSD uses the 150mg bottles and 2ml of Saline to mix. He is using this as single dose twice a day for two weeks and then two weeks of Cayston. This is the regimen that my doc is going to go with for me. We are both about the same age and weight. Does anyone refrigerate after the mixing and use 75mg per dose or are you guys just reconstituting 75mg vials of Colistimethate? Anyone else using 150 mg twice a day? I have tried Tobi and it is too harsh. I have been doing Cayston two weeks on and two weeks off for about a year. Also, has anyone had any serious side affects with Colistin, if so what type. THANKS, Steve

tammy87

Hi Steve, I switch on and off every month from colistin and tobi. Tobi was a bit too irritating for me as well in the beginning, but after using colistin for a month then tobi I can tolerate it with no problems. Each day I use one 150mg vial of colistimethate and reconstitute with 2ml of sterile water vial. Then I draw out 75mg and mix with 1 ampule sodium chloride .09% twice daily. Haven't had any side effects with colistin. Oh and I refrigerate after reconstituting and only keep it for 24 hours and then toss it.(sometimes I forget to do the second dose in the evening) It's just my preference and to be safe since I've seen so many warnings on other forums about it going bad after reconsitituting and keeping for too long.

kosdancer

Inhaled colistin has never given me a problem; I do 75mg twice a day for a month rotated with Cayston. IV colistin does give me a tingling in my lips/tongue if we go above 50mg for my dose, so that would be something to watch out for, but like I said inhaled has always been fine.