Input on Funding for a Innovative CF InPatient Hospital

rAnDiMKdir

So, I'm totally disciplined to be admitted when my CF Dr. thinks I need IV antibiotics for a 'tune-up'. However, in our area, that means an admission to the state charity hospital. The conditions and accomodations are not the best, which has me thinking of a stand-alone inpatient facility.

I've been speaking with a local doctor who opened his own inpatient physical rehabilition hospital and surgical center about the possibility and costs associated. My vision: a 10-15 bed Cystic Fibrosis InPatient Facility. Nice rooms and bathrooms (big enough for a small bed for visitor), a small cafe that serves three nutritious, fatenning meals, a couple of respiratory therapist around the clock, a couple nurses around the clock, and an exercise room.

I'm totally aware of cross-contanmination and rooms would have to be isolated (local hosp has isolation rooms). I wanted to see what other issues should be addressed when moving forward with investors in this idea. I have one that's interested, but need a fine-tuned pitch.

What other accomodations or services should this facility offer?

Of course those patients with major complications should stay at the main hospital for emergency situations. This would be for those needing tune-ups, etc. Would you take advantage of such a facility? What percentage of admissions of CF patients do you feel are for tune-ups and could take advantage of this? Once a patient was stable enough, they could be transferred from the hospital to such a facility. Also, do you know where I can find the percentages of the number of patients with private insurance vs medicaid? I know they pay differently and that will determine the feasibility of such a facility.

Thanks! Dreaming...maybe! Never know until you research!:)

rAnDiMKdir

So, I'm totally disciplined to be admitted when my CF Dr. thinks I need IV antibiotics for a 'tune-up'. However, in our area, that means an admission to the state charity hospital. The conditions and accomodations are not the best, which has me thinking of a stand-alone inpatient facility.

I've been speaking with a local doctor who opened his own inpatient physical rehabilition hospital and surgical center about the possibility and costs associated. My vision: a 10-15 bed Cystic Fibrosis InPatient Facility. Nice rooms and bathrooms (big enough for a small bed for visitor), a small cafe that serves three nutritious, fatenning meals, a couple of respiratory therapist around the clock, a couple nurses around the clock, and an exercise room.

I'm totally aware of cross-contanmination and rooms would have to be isolated (local hosp has isolation rooms). I wanted to see what other issues should be addressed when moving forward with investors in this idea. I have one that's interested, but need a fine-tuned pitch.

What other accomodations or services should this facility offer?

Of course those patients with major complications should stay at the main hospital for emergency situations. This would be for those needing tune-ups, etc. Would you take advantage of such a facility? What percentage of admissions of CF patients do you feel are for tune-ups and could take advantage of this? Once a patient was stable enough, they could be transferred from the hospital to such a facility. Also, do you know where I can find the percentages of the number of patients with private insurance vs medicaid? I know they pay differently and that will determine the feasibility of such a facility.

Thanks! Dreaming...maybe! Never know until you research!:)

rAnDiMKdir

<br />
<br />I've been speaking with a local doctor who opened his own inpatient physical rehabilition hospital and surgical center about the possibility and costs associated. My vision: a 10-15 bed Cystic Fibrosis InPatient Facility. Nice rooms and bathrooms (big enough for a small bed for visitor), a small cafe that serves three nutritious, fatenning meals, a couple of respiratory therapist around the clock, a couple nurses around the clock, and an exercise room.
<br />
<br />I'm totally aware of cross-contanmination and rooms would have to be isolated (local hosp has isolation rooms). I wanted to see what other issues should be addressed when moving forward with investors in this idea. I have one that's interested, but need a fine-tuned pitch.
<br />
<br />What other accomodations or services should this facility offer?
<br />
<br />Of course those patients with major complications should stay at the main hospital for emergency situations. This would be for those needing tune-ups, etc. Would you take advantage of such a facility? What percentage of admissions of CF patients do you feel are for tune-ups and could take advantage of this? Once a patient was stable enough, they could be transferred from the hospital to such a facility. Also, do you know where I can find the percentages of the number of patients with private insurance vs medicaid? I know they pay differently and that will determine the feasibility of such a facility.
<br />
<br />Thanks! Dreaming...maybe! Never know until you research!:)

LouLou

Hi Randi, Nice thinking! Would insurance pay for such a place you think? While I like the idea I would be nervous with it being cf only. When I was last admitted I took peace in knowing I was my nurse's only cf patient. How would cross contamination be addressed with resp. therapists, nurses, custodial staff, etc. going from one room to the next?

LouLou

Hi Randi, Nice thinking! Would insurance pay for such a place you think? While I like the idea I would be nervous with it being cf only. When I was last admitted I took peace in knowing I was my nurse's only cf patient. How would cross contamination be addressed with resp. therapists, nurses, custodial staff, etc. going from one room to the next?

LouLou

rAnDiMKdir

LouLou,

A couple of times when I needed a tune-up, my CF doctor allowed me to go to this local doctor's inpatient hospital. My private insurance paid just as if I was in a regular hosptial. (BTW: Joint Commission approved hospital). He had a resp therapist come in and service only me during the day, but he was cautious of the drugs my cf doctor ordered b/c he is a for-profit hospital. In the end, insurance approved and covered the antibiotics. It was wonderful! Felt like a retreat! HOwever, I know that many patients are on Medicaid, etc so that's the part I'm researching now. I think on Medicaid the hosptial gets a daily set allowance..so the question is...how many medicaid versus private insurance patients can you take each time. Another words, if 10 Cfers with Medicaid were admitted at the same time, could you make payroll? LOL! MEeting with this physician soon, he knows all the answers from experience. I just wonder the percentage of CF patients with private insurance.

As far as cross contamination....At the hopsital my CF clinic currently admits to, the therapists still go from one CF room and patient to another. However, they are paged in the middle with trauma and other drama not CF related in between it all. These distractions cause errors and mistakes that contribute to cross contamination...in my opinion. I've had to remind my therapist after she checks her pager or calls downstairs to please wash her hands prior to touching my nebulizer. EMBARASSING but I work to hard to keep these lungs clean, lol!

If there were 2-3 therapist for 10 patients, I really believe we could take more time with each patient and insure infection control through Isolation rooms, minimal distractions to therapists, gloves, handwashing, etc.

rAnDiMKdir

LouLou,

A couple of times when I needed a tune-up, my CF doctor allowed me to go to this local doctor's inpatient hospital. My private insurance paid just as if I was in a regular hosptial. (BTW: Joint Commission approved hospital). He had a resp therapist come in and service only me during the day, but he was cautious of the drugs my cf doctor ordered b/c he is a for-profit hospital. In the end, insurance approved and covered the antibiotics. It was wonderful! Felt like a retreat! HOwever, I know that many patients are on Medicaid, etc so that's the part I'm researching now. I think on Medicaid the hosptial gets a daily set allowance..so the question is...how many medicaid versus private insurance patients can you take each time. Another words, if 10 Cfers with Medicaid were admitted at the same time, could you make payroll? LOL! MEeting with this physician soon, he knows all the answers from experience. I just wonder the percentage of CF patients with private insurance.

As far as cross contamination....At the hopsital my CF clinic currently admits to, the therapists still go from one CF room and patient to another. However, they are paged in the middle with trauma and other drama not CF related in between it all. These distractions cause errors and mistakes that contribute to cross contamination...in my opinion. I've had to remind my therapist after she checks her pager or calls downstairs to please wash her hands prior to touching my nebulizer. EMBARASSING but I work to hard to keep these lungs clean, lol!

If there were 2-3 therapist for 10 patients, I really believe we could take more time with each patient and insure infection control through Isolation rooms, minimal distractions to therapists, gloves, handwashing, etc.

rAnDiMKdir

LouLou,
<br />
<br />A couple of times when I needed a tune-up, my CF doctor allowed me to go to this local doctor's inpatient hospital. My private insurance paid just as if I was in a regular hosptial. (BTW: Joint Commission approved hospital). He had a resp therapist come in and service only me during the day, but he was cautious of the drugs my cf doctor ordered b/c he is a for-profit hospital. In the end, insurance approved and covered the antibiotics. It was wonderful! Felt like a retreat! HOwever, I know that many patients are on Medicaid, etc so that's the part I'm researching now. I think on Medicaid the hosptial gets a daily set allowance..so the question is...how many medicaid versus private insurance patients can you take each time. Another words, if 10 Cfers with Medicaid were admitted at the same time, could you make payroll? LOL! MEeting with this physician soon, he knows all the answers from experience. I just wonder the percentage of CF patients with private insurance.
<br />
<br />As far as cross contamination....At the hopsital my CF clinic currently admits to, the therapists still go from one CF room and patient to another. However, they are paged in the middle with trauma and other drama not CF related in between it all. These distractions cause errors and mistakes that contribute to cross contamination...in my opinion. I've had to remind my therapist after she checks her pager or calls downstairs to please wash her hands prior to touching my nebulizer. EMBARASSING but I work to hard to keep these lungs clean, lol!
<br />
<br /> If there were 2-3 therapist for 10 patients, I really believe we could take more time with each patient and insure infection control through Isolation rooms, minimal distractions to therapists, gloves, handwashing, etc.