insulin pump question

tleigh

I am starting the process for getting an insulin pump. I have been leaning towards the Ping, but my endo's office suggested the MiniMed since they have "trainer" (not sure if that's the right term) there at their office.

My question is-is this a good reason for me to reconsider the MM pump? How pertinent is access to this person in my adjusting and success to the pump?

tleigh

I am starting the process for getting an insulin pump. I have been leaning towards the Ping, but my endo's office suggested the MiniMed since they have "trainer" (not sure if that's the right term) there at their office.

My question is-is this a good reason for me to reconsider the MM pump? How pertinent is access to this person in my adjusting and success to the pump?

tleigh

tleigh

tleigh

Skye

I WOULD NOT try to start an insulin pump without access to someone who can train you on the model you will be using. Can you call the company you are thinking about using and see what their training protocol is and whether they have someone available who can instruct you in the area.

Just to give you an example, I was on the phone with my trainer sometimes 3 or 4 times a day working out problems with my pump. Now I did have a few weird issues; but, you will need someone you can go to. This is not not like getting trained to do home IV's or something fairly simple like that. It is VERY easy to use when you get use to it; but, you have to have good training and knowledge to get started and into a good routine and there are many things you have to understand about it. I went for a full day of training on mine.

Skye

I WOULD NOT try to start an insulin pump without access to someone who can train you on the model you will be using. Can you call the company you are thinking about using and see what their training protocol is and whether they have someone available who can instruct you in the area.

Just to give you an example, I was on the phone with my trainer sometimes 3 or 4 times a day working out problems with my pump. Now I did have a few weird issues; but, you will need someone you can go to. This is not not like getting trained to do home IV's or something fairly simple like that. It is VERY easy to use when you get use to it; but, you have to have good training and knowledge to get started and into a good routine and there are many things you have to understand about it. I went for a full day of training on mine.

Skye

Skye

Skye

<br />
<br />Just to give you an example, I was on the phone with my trainer sometimes 3 or 4 times a day working out problems with my pump. Now I did have a few weird issues; but, you will need someone you can go to. This is not not like getting trained to do home IV's or something fairly simple like that. It is VERY easy to use when you get use to it; but, you have to have good training and knowledge to get started and into a good routine and there are many things you have to understand about it. I went for a full day of training on mine.

dasjsmum

I totally agree with Skye. We spent half a day with a certified trainer when my son got his pump. They are incredibly technical devices, and when you think about the result if something goes wrong, it's apparent why they are so technical.

My son has the minimed, it's fantastic and easy to use (once you have the training, absolutely essential). The mini med also so has a BGL monitoring device which can be purchased separately. There is access to a 24hr telephone line for technical difficulties.

dasjsmum

I totally agree with Skye. We spent half a day with a certified trainer when my son got his pump. They are incredibly technical devices, and when you think about the result if something goes wrong, it's apparent why they are so technical.

My son has the minimed, it's fantastic and easy to use (once you have the training, absolutely essential). The mini med also so has a BGL monitoring device which can be purchased separately. There is access to a 24hr telephone line for technical difficulties.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<br />
<br />My son has the minimed, it's fantastic and easy to use (once you have the training, absolutely essential). The mini med also so has a BGL monitoring device which can be purchased separately. There is access to a 24hr telephone line for technical difficulties.

ej0820

hey there!

both of these posts are 100% CORRECT. when I first got my pump I was looking forward to meeting with the trainer as much as I was looking forward to a tooth ache. I read the manual, what else is there??! when she came to my house, we spent 2 hours just learning and doing things hands on. She was able to show me short cuts and give me a more "personal" trouble shooting session. I love my minimed and am glad to have had the training. I still have her home number in my phone and I've had my pump for almost 2 years!

it's also good to have the trainer because even if you don't need them anymore because you know your pump and how to work it, you may not remember how to change your basal (or bolus) levels if needed because you only put them in once. call your trainer and they'll talk you through it. this happened to me a while ago. after having my pump for a year and a half, my endocrinologist wanted me to increase my nighttime basal rates by .10. well I had only done this once and forgot where to navigate exactly on my pump. one phone call to her and everything was great. without a trainer, a 1-800-# to customer service of a different pump company could leave you on hold for hours b/c a customer service rep may just know how to answer the phone...not work a pump.

Medtronic Minimed is the way to go.

This was not meant to be so long, lol. sorry.

Good luck!

ej0820

hey there!

both of these posts are 100% CORRECT. when I first got my pump I was looking forward to meeting with the trainer as much as I was looking forward to a tooth ache. I read the manual, what else is there??! when she came to my house, we spent 2 hours just learning and doing things hands on. She was able to show me short cuts and give me a more "personal" trouble shooting session. I love my minimed and am glad to have had the training. I still have her home number in my phone and I've had my pump for almost 2 years!

it's also good to have the trainer because even if you don't need them anymore because you know your pump and how to work it, you may not remember how to change your basal (or bolus) levels if needed because you only put them in once. call your trainer and they'll talk you through it. this happened to me a while ago. after having my pump for a year and a half, my endocrinologist wanted me to increase my nighttime basal rates by .10. well I had only done this once and forgot where to navigate exactly on my pump. one phone call to her and everything was great. without a trainer, a 1-800-# to customer service of a different pump company could leave you on hold for hours b/c a customer service rep may just know how to answer the phone...not work a pump.

Good luck!

ej0820

hey there!

Good luck!

ej0820

hey there!

Good luck!

ej0820

hey there!
<br />
<br />both of these posts are 100% CORRECT. when I first got my pump I was looking forward to meeting with the trainer as much as I was looking forward to a tooth ache. I read the manual, what else is there??! when she came to my house, we spent 2 hours just learning and doing things hands on. She was able to show me short cuts and give me a more "personal" trouble shooting session. I love my minimed and am glad to have had the training. I still have her home number in my phone and I've had my pump for almost 2 years!
<br />
<br />it's also good to have the trainer because even if you don't need them anymore because you know your pump and how to work it, you may not remember how to change your basal (or bolus) levels if needed because you only put them in once. call your trainer and they'll talk you through it. this happened to me a while ago. after having my pump for a year and a half, my endocrinologist wanted me to increase my nighttime basal rates by .10. well I had only done this once and forgot where to navigate exactly on my pump. one phone call to her and everything was great. without a trainer, a 1-800-# to customer service of a different pump company could leave you on hold for hours b/c a customer service rep may just know how to answer the phone...not work a pump.
<br />
<br />Medtronic Minimed is the way to go.
<br />
<br />This was not meant to be so long, lol. sorry.
<br />
<br />Good luck!