Insulin Pump Users

Melissa73

Hello,

I just started the Medtronic pump a week ago and I am wondering if any one using the pump does the vest? I use to do my vest 3xs a day but, not sure if I can still use the vest with my pump. I'm accessed on my stomach area right now and plan to be for at least a month or more before I try other areas on my body. If you do not use the vest, what do you use?

Thank You in advance,

jshet

My son does not gave an insulin pump, but he had to have his tailbone removed and he was not able to use his vest for about 5 weeks. He used the acupella. I will say it wasn't as good for him as the vest, but he also has developmental disabilities. We did see a drop in his pft's, but they went back up to his baseline after ge was using his feet again.

good luck

shay

Hi Melissa,
My daughter also has the Medtronic pump which she loves. She has the SmartVest and is able to use it without difficulty. Her inset is usually at belly button height or a little lower and her vest does not interfere. She uses her vest once or twice a day with no problems. Feel free to PM or ask any more questions here. Good luck with the pump. I think you will really like it :)
Shay

shay

Hi Melissa,
Me again... My daughter wanted you to know that her vest DOES cover her inset but that she is still able to use her it with no problem.
Shay

TexasTapdog

Hi Melissa,
I have been a pump user for about 1 year, I do not vest, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I only access around my belly button or horizontally left and right as far as my sides. I know there are other options, but I'm too thin and don't want to dose into muscle as it burns too much.
The pump has been an issue when riding on 2 wheels as my belt(on my pants) will ride up and vibrate on my site. Its a temporary discomfort, less than an hour, unless I accessed a less fatty area then it will continue to hurt when I dose until I change the inset to a new spot.
Best I can say is through your experience of where your vest, and other clothing(belts, purses, etc), rides you will learn what areas to avoid.
Best Luck with it!
Scooter
35, CF, CFrD, etc..etc..

vbs420

Have you tried different infusion sets?

There are many different sets with different cannula lengths, angles, and materials.

You should be able to get samples of several styles from your pharmacy / retailer.

Best to try several and then decide to commit to a particular infusion set.

I prefer 90 degree steel 5mm. But that's just me.